What's new

Haslinger Shaving Cream

No, it's not official. But based on this post from [MENTION=58407]Jarick[/MENTION], I'm going to be experimenting soon.

Stay tuned for pics, details, disasters and results.

I found a few old threads from pre-Blooming craze that all the kids are doing lately. They talked about doing it successfully with MWF. It wasn't called blooming back then, just soaking. Basically, you soak the puck daily with as much water as it will take and keep doing it until it rejects it, then pour off the excess. I guess it's similar to oiling a new wood cutting board, oil, soak, oil, soak and wipe off excess.

Here is what I'm starting with. I'm going to try and keep it very basic, no crazy steps, no added ingredients. Everything was weighed and reweighed, to ensure accuracy of the scale. I'm guessing 1g here or there won't make a difference in the end, if it even works.

Laid out:
proxy.php

Unwrapped puck of 60g Haslinger. It weighed in at 58g:
proxy.php

Empty MW tub, no lid, 36g:
proxy.php

Combined weighed, as expected, 94g:
proxy.php

Adding 2 Tbsp or 30ml of Distilled water:
proxy.php

Water weight equals 25g:
proxy.php

Total weight 119g with container or 83g of product:
proxy.php

Soaking puck at 1630hrs - 2016-11-03:
proxy.php

Sealed and will check in 24 hrs:
proxy.php

I'm hoping this will be my December Haslinger product to end my "One Year, One Brand" run.

Last edited:
Us crazy shave enthusiasts... I've actually done the opposite, and layered Speick cream into an anchor hocking bowl, letting each layer dry completely before adding one, to turn shave cream into a bowl lathering soap. It worked very well, even. Looking forward to results on this one. It also reminds me, I'm due to pick up some Haslingers soon, haven't had any in the rotation for a long time now. :lol:

Subscribed! Funny - a while back I had no empty container for a new sheep's milk puck so I pressed it (the Haslinger puck) into the center of a 1/2 full green proraso croap tub. The puck was hard and easily pushed into the softer, surrounding Proraso croap. I lathered it up a few times with excellent results (way slicker than plain proraso..). After about a week inside the enclosed tub, the Haslinger cake had become the consistency of a really soft croap or almost squishy like a marshmallow Peep.. It either absorbed moisture from the Proraso or from the latherings or from my humid bathroom.. The puck is now actually softer than the surrounding proraso croap.. I had never tried this before and just assumed it was one of Haslinger's many magical properties. Also looking forward to this experiment..

Subscribed!

Do you think you should have grated it first? Like the Blue Willy process...
Depending on how this one turns out, it's an option. Adding extra Pure Aloe Vera in liquid form, is also an option. I normally cut into chunks, press and load as a soap.

I wanted to see how much water it would take on without manipulating or even pressing relief holes in it.

How do the commercial outfits create creams? I seem to remember some stage called the rot. I'm very interested in this experiment, but something tells me it's not such a simple process.

How do the commercial outfits create creams? I seem to remember some stage called the rot. I'm very interested in this experiment, but something tells me it's not such a simple process.
I'm guessing it won't be so simple either. There must be many more things involved in making a cream over a soap, or we would see more Artisan creams.

One thing I do have on my side is, I don't need any shelf life. I am going for a Castle Forbes consistency or anything that resembles a cream. Once I achieve it, I can start to 3017 it and it will be fine in 30-45 days. Haslinger is not triple milled or as hard as some glycerin pucks, so we'll see what happens.

I am going for a Castle Forbes consistency or anything that resembles a cream. Once I achieve it, I can start to 3017 it and it will be fine in 30-45 days.

I think you will achieve this consistency, and I'll bet you'll get great shaves. Maybe if this works out, you can convince Haslinger to create a cream with a consistency similar to Speick? That would be pretty cool.

I think you will be able to reach cream. But I'm wondering g if it will not stay as a cream for long. Since you will use it right away you will be fine.

If it's anything like my remnants, the surface will soften and turn to liquid, but you may have to stir and mix it for a while.

If it's anything like my remnants, the surface will soften and turn to liquid, but you may have to stir and mix it for a while.
I snuck a peak this morning and the water level appears to be down, milky water and puck appears quite soft.

I'll check again tonight and will probably end up mixing a bit. If it gets too runny, I can always add a second puck to the tub.

Worst case scenario, I end up with some Haslinger Aloe Vera Liquid soap.

Top Bottom