What's new

Haslinger Shafmilch

With the news that MWF is being reformulated, I decided to try the Haslinger Sheep Milk soap. I found it relatively easy to create a thick, rich, well-hydrated lather. In comparison to other soaps that I have tried, I would describe the lather as being most similar to that of Pre de Provence.

In my view the slickness of the lather is less than that of PdP, but is sufficient to provide a very comfortable shave. In terms of ease of creating later, Haslinger outperforms MWF and the volume and cushion of the lather are on par with the lather of MWF. In terms of slickness, residual slickness and post shave feel, it is not as good.

It will be interesting to see how the new MWF formulation compares to this very good non-tallow soap.

had great shaves last week with MWF (old formula) and Haslinger; similar, excellent soaps!
hard for me to judge which is slicker/easier to lather/residuals.
just enjoyed!

proxy.php

had great shaves last week with MWF (old formula) and Haslinger; similar, excellent soaps!
hard for me to judge which is slicker/easier to lather/residuals.
just enjoyed!

My assessment is also colored by the fact that I am much more familiar with MWF than with the Haslinger. For me, the slickness of the MWF only becomes apparent after building up a lather from proto-lather and then gradually watering it down into a very dense, hydrated lather. The process might take 3 to 5 minutes. The lather from Haslinger was ready to go much sooner. I enjoy both, but I also enjoy the whole ritual around MWF. It’s not efficient, but it is fun.

Last edited:
With the news that MWF is being reformulated, I decided to try the Haslinger Sheep Milk soap. I found it relatively easy to create a thick, rich, well-hydrated lather. In comparison to other soaps that I have tried, I would describe the lather as being most similar to that of Pre de Provence.

In my view the slickness of the lather is less than that of PdP, but is sufficient to provide a very comfortable shave. In terms of ease of creating later, Haslinger outperforms MWF and the volume and cushion of the lather are on par with the lather of MWF. In terms of slickness, residual slickness and post shave feel, it is not as good.

It will be interesting to see how the new MWF formulation compares to this very good non-tallow soap.

Yes, Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap is an excellent alternative to Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap once you get used to the rather smallish 60g (little over 2oz) puck.

While its cushion and slickness may be slightly less than MWF, it is still excellent and Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap is easier to lather and much more forgiving when paired with hard water.
In 2017 Haslinger made the decision to no longer use raw materials in the production of which animals were harmed and what they came up with then is IMO pretty impressive.

How Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap compares against PdP I find difficult to say. PdP seems to be exclusively marketed in North America (never found it in Europe, or France for that matter) and PdP at best made an average impression on me. I used maybe two pucks years back, but PdP never made it into my regular rotation.
By comparison, the slickness and cushion of Haslinger Schafmilch did make a positive impression on me.
I suppose this is where individual preferences differ and your view is as valid as mine.

B.

Last edited:
My assessment is also colored by the fact that I am much more familiar with MWF than with the Haslinger. For me, the slickness of the MWF only becomes apparent after building up a lather from proto-lather and then gradually watering it down into a very dense, hydrated lather. The process might take 3 to 5 minutes. The lather from Haslinger was ready to go much sooner. I enjoy both, but I also enjoy the whole ritual around MWF. It’s not efficient, but it is fun.

interesting, thanks for explanation.
i really don't understand proto-stuff.
just lather up and shave away!

I have been loading the brush more heavily and have noticed that the Haslinger can take on a good amount of water. It forms a dense and thick lather that can be watered down to a very slick consistency. It doesn’t quite get the yogurt consistency that I was able to achieve with MWF and its residual slickness is not quite there. Nevertheless, if the non-tallow version of MWF fails to live up to the original, Haslinger Shafmilch would be a very viable alternative.

I also have a puck of the Honey and I love the scent. Even the Shafmilch has a fragrance that is reminiscent of milk and honey.

I have been loading the brush more heavily and have noticed that the Haslinger can take on a good amount of water. It forms a dense and thick lather that can be watered down to a very slick consistency. It doesn’t quite get the yogurt consistency that I was able to achieve with MWF and its residual slickness is not quite there. Nevertheless, if the non-tallow version of MWF fails to live up to the original, Haslinger Shafmilch would be a very viable alternative.

I also have a puck of the Honey and I love the scent. Even the Shafmilch has a fragrance that is reminiscent of milk and honey.
I've been going the opposite route - I've been loading the brush quickly and lightly and while at first it seems insufficient it very quickly gets going strong, especially adding when more water along the way. Not sure if I get what others call "yogurty" but it's plenty rich and dense. Adding even more water then gets me something slightly thinner but super slick.

I once heard that straight razor folks liked their lather more on the "watery" side so I tried it and never looked back.

:sailor:

I've been going the opposite route - I've been loading the brush quickly and lightly and while at first it seems insufficient it very quickly gets going strong, especially adding when more water along the way. Not sure if I get what others call "yogurty" but it's plenty rich and dense. Adding even more water then gets me something slightly thinner but super slick.

I once heard that straight razor folks liked their lather more on the "watery" side so I tried it and never looked back.

Yes, the straight razor people seem to place a premium on slickness. I’ll try your way, but for me light loading works best with synthetic brushes and I mainly use boar, mixed knots or badger brushes.

I believe that the style you are using is what the artisan soap makers, like Barrister Mann, recommend for low structure lathers. The method that I am using is what a lot of MWF users resort to to create a consistent lather.

The “yogurt” consistency is not really possible with every type of soap. It is both dense and slick due to high water and high soap content. Soaps that create foam easily might create a slick, protective lather, but the air content is higher and the water content is lower.

The soaps that I have been able to get the yogurt consistency from are: MWF, Tabac Tallow, B&M, Stirling, LPL, MdC, PdP, and SV. With lathering technique alterations and some effort, I can also get it from Mystic Waters. I can’t really achieve the consistency with Arko or Van Der Hagen, but mixing Arko with VDH allows me to do so.

Don't know if this helps, but I've been using Haslinger as one of my main choices for many years and stayed with it after it became non-tallow based. No question it became a little thirstier, and perhaps not as slick, but it still works well. Haslinger and Canada are the main soaps I use now. Neither has quite the characteristic texture of tallow-based lather, but the difference is small and the results are just as good.

As for after-shave drying, I always use a moisturizer, not just where I've shaved but on my entire face and hands, as I have a skin condition (inherited from my father) where the skin on my hands and face can peel, crack and even bleed, especially if exposed to cold, dry air for a long time. I used to use a prescription steroid cream, but I found it unnecessary. Bottom line: Why worry about whether your shave soap is a good moisturizer? There are many good inexpensive moisturizers. I use Aveeno, or a cheap generic knockoff, some of which are better than the original, imho.

Don't know if this helps, but I've been using Haslinger as one of my main choices for many years and stayed with it after it became non-tallow based. No question it became a little thirstier, and perhaps not as slick, but it still works well. Haslinger and Canada are the main soaps I use now. Neither has quite the characteristic texture of tallow-based lather, but the difference is small and the results are just as good.

As for after-shave drying, I always use a moisturizer, not just where I've shaved but on my entire face and hands, as I have a skin condition (inherited from my father) where the skin on my hands and face can peel, crack and even bleed, especially if exposed to cold, dry air for a long time. I used to use a prescription steroid cream, but I found it unnecessary. Bottom line: Why worry about whether your shave soap is a good moisturizer? There are many good inexpensive moisturizers. I use Aveeno, or a cheap generic knockoff, some of which are better than the original, imho.
Thank you. That’s a good tip. I do have Nivea, but I always forget to use it.

I have to be cautious where and when using this.
Peanut oil in the ingredients and we have an allergy in the house.

I'll have to give it a try with all the great reviews and comparisons to MWF that I'm reading lately

I'll have to give it a try with all the great reviews and comparisons to MWF that I'm reading lately
You should check with your doctor - I've read that refined peanut oil goes through an extensive process that removes the protein/allergen - unrefined or cold pressed peanut oil does not.

However the ingredient list on their shave soaps doesn't mention which oil they use. This is something I've always wanted to know myself so I just sent them an email asking. Here's their email if you wish to contact them directly yourself -

[email protected]

You should check with your doctor - I've read that refined peanut oil goes through an extensive process that removes the protein/allergen - unrefined or cold pressed peanut oil does not.

However the ingredient list on their shave soaps doesn't mention which oil they use. This is something I've always wanted to know myself so I just sent them an email asking. Here's their email if you wish to contact them directly yourself -

[email protected]

Appreciate that information.
My daughter's allergies are not only to peanuts, but also to most common tree nuts - which eradicates anything almond from use.

We've been mulling getting her retested as it has been quite some time now. My life would be a whole lot simpler avoiding until later.

You could use the Haslinger Sensitive which doesn't contain peanut oil. No lanolin, either, but I found the performance was similar to the Schafmilch.

Still, peanut oil is not usually much of an issue for allergy sufferers, because it is the protein in peanuts that contains the allergen. A well-refined peanut oil is just fat without the protein. Additionally, topical application is usually tolerated better than in foods. Peanut oil is used fairly frequently in cosmetics, which would not be the case if it caused allergy problems for ~2% of the population.

I don't like Schafmilch scent at all.
I used the tallow version of Honig and it liked me,
What other Haslinger do you recommend me?

I don't like Schafmilch scent at all.
I used the tallow version of Honig and it liked me,
What other Haslinger do you recommend me?

You could try Haslinger Sandalwood shaving soap.
I quite like it and Haslinger also has a matching sandalwood body lotion and after shave balm.

B.

You could try Haslinger Sandalwood shaving soap.
I quite like it and Haslinger also has a matching sandalwood body lotion and after shave balm.

B.
The Honig smells very good. The sandalwood is on the lighter side of sandalwood, but very nice. Whereas, Mitchell's Wool Fat reminds me of fresh milk, the Haslinger Schafmilch reminds me of milk and honey. I had several other pucks which I gifted to a friend. I did sniff them before giving them away and I thought that the sage had a very light and pleasant fragrance. Sadly enough, he can't use them because of concerns about peanut oil sensitivity. I will be sure to let him know about the Sensitive formulation.

Top Bottom