What's new

Haslinger Shafmilch - a bad soap?

Haslinger is not a german soap ;)
The shop owner told me it was German, I see that in reality it's made in Austria. What's funny is that Austrians think they're much different from Germans. (if we have any Austrians here -- please don't kill me)

I think it's a great soap. There is a new formula that is improved over the one you have now. The ingredients list will have potassium cocoate and sodium cocoate.

BTW, the Haslinger Sensitive is a really good unscented Haslinger soap which does not have lanolin.
I find Haslinger to be one of the best for my beard and the way I shave. I keep a stockpile, so it was some time before I used up my tallow pucks and started on the first non-tallow version (with palm oil). Now I have a couple of pucks to go before I start on the second non-tallow version (with coconut oil). I'm glad to see you like the new formula, but I'm not worried about that, this a good company that makes good products.

I only have and used the old tallow haslinger soaps. I'm not sure whether yours is the tallow or not, but I've had great lathers from haslinger.
Again I don't know if removing tallow affected them and I have too many soaps to buy more to try lolmy guess is they wouldn't have released the non tallow if it wasn't good. They're a good company and sheep's milk is my favorite one.

Very disappointed with German soaps, Tremonia was not any better. It lacks some kind of oil or something... I don't know. But hey, YMMV I guess.

Oh and this may annoy a few traditionalists, since it doesn't involve lathering -- but pinaud shaving cream is an amazing alternative to everything.

The good news:
Don’t worry, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and no one should be annoyed by it.

The bad news:
Whether an opinion (like yours regarding Meißner Tremonia and Haslinger, which comes BTW from Vienna, Austria 🇦🇹) has any merit that is of course a different matter that individual members of the forum must decide for themselves.

I always thought of forums as an exchange where members post their views and opinions and other members can choose to either agree or disagree with them.

From what you wrote about Haslinger and Meißner Tremonina, I can say with confidence that I do not agree with your (“felt too clean” and “lacks some kind of oil or something”) opinion :thumbdown and it seems that the majority around here :a22: does not agree with it either.

Re:
”What's funny is that Austrians think they're much different from Germans.”
Why shouldn’t Austrians think so if even Bavarians (which is part of Germany 🇩🇪 BTW - for those who confuse Austria 🇦🇹 with Germany 🇩🇪 ) think they are distinct from the rest of Germany?
Austria has a rich and distinct history, used to be a world power to reckon with, and the last guy who thought that Austria should be part of Germany made a real mess out of it between 1933 and 1945, as history taught us.

But I am certainly glad for you that “pinaud shaving cream is an amazing alternative to everything” for you. :pipe:

B.

Last edited:
The good news:
Don’t worry, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and no one should be annoyed by it.

The bad news:
Whether an opinion (like yours regarding Meißner Tremonia and Haslinger, which comes BTW from Vienna, Austria 🇦🇹) has any merit that is of course a different matter that individual members of the forum must decide for themselves.

I always thought of forums as an exchange where members post their views and opinions and other members can choose to either agree or disagree with them.

From what you wrote about Haslinger and Meißner Tremonina, I can say with confidence that I do not agree with your (“felt too clean” and “lacks some kind of oil or something”) opinion :thumbdown and it seems that the majority around here :a22: does not agree with it either.

Re:
”What's funny is that Austrians think they're much different from Germans.”
Why shouldn’t Austrians think so if even Bavarians (which is part of Germany 🇩🇪 BTW - for those who confuse Austria 🇦🇹 with Germany 🇩🇪 ) think they are distinct from the rest of Germany?
Austria has a rich and distinct history, used to be a world power to reckon with, and the last guy who thought that Austria should be part of Germany made a real mess out of it between 1933 and 1945, as history taught us.

But I am certainly glad for you that “pinaud shaving cream is an amazing alternative to everything” for you. :pipe:

B.
I decided not to pay much mind to your low-key sarcasm.

So, moving on to the Austria thing, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, it's a joke we're all very much used to, but a particular group of people still take offense. I certainty don't need to be educated on the matter, for any matter actually, as this is not why I am here.

The current iteration of Haslinger is still an extremely mediocre and expensive soap (I finished the puck) anything from Stirling to A&E can easily beat it, at least for me. The Americans have beat us to the soap game, I never found the cushion & sleekness that US soaps have in a European one. Scents are better over here though.

I think that this soap is a great value for the money. Quite good performance to price ratio. I have Schafmilch version. It's a some kind of dupe of MFW but ingredients list is much, much better especially when compared to latest MFW reformulation. Small 60g puck in a tin cost around 5 euros in Europe. It's fairly hard soap and seems to last forever. Only downside is a small tin so there is a little bit of exercise to load the brush properly. It's easy to lather, tolerate much water and foam is quite nice and protective. Scent reminds me of some kind of powder, nothing to cry about it but not bad either.

Top Bottom