What's new

Haslinger Shafmilch - a bad soap?

I got said soap nearly two years ago, and used it recently again for a few shaves (face and head) it lathered better than ANY soap I've ever owned, it needed quite a bit of water, but the actual performance was lacking. Not very slick, it dried too fast on the face (no, more watet didn't help) and post shave was non-existent. To this day I still find A&E soaps to be the best performing, despite having some irritation from certain scents. It's odd, many years back I had tried it again but I would have sworn it did better.

I recently got a puck of this soap. Its really good. I was thinking why didn't I get this earlier. I do know their first non-tallow formulation wasn't that good but since than they reformulated and its great. @Marco has some good info on this.
I heard many people use the puck like a shave stick. I tried that and it works great that way.

Thank you for your replies guys! I tried multiple times, even added tons of water, didn't help, so I think I had the first non-tallow formula. Now to find the latest one where I live. For example Peter from A&E clearly names his bases.. any indication for the Haslinger?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
When I 3017d mine earlier this year I found that the shaves and lathers improved as I used it more, I assume the soap got more hydrated. In the end I was getting ludicrously rich lathers until the last few shaves.

Thank you for your replies guys! I tried multiple times, even added tons of water, didn't help, so I think I had the first non-tallow formula. Now to find the latest one where I live. For example Peter from A&E clearly names his bases.. any indication for the Haslinger?

I don’t think so.

The first (not even sure whether there are any subsequent) non-tallow formula was excellent and you would have been hard pressed to tell the difference between that one and the tallow-based predecessor.

If Haslinger Schafmilch doesn’t work for you, just move on…
There are too many excellent products out there to get hung up on one that doesn’t work for you.

As others already hinted, you may need to answer for yourself whether it could have dried out since you used it the first time.

B.

I don’t think so.

The first (not even sure whether there are any subsequent) non-tallow formula was excellent and you would have been hard pressed to tell the difference between that one and the tallow-based predecessor.

If Haslinger Schafmilch doesn’t work for you, just move on…
There are too many excellent products out there to get hung up on one that doesn’t work for you.

As others already hinted, you may need to answer for yourself whether it could have dried out since you used it the first time.

B.
^^^This.

There has never been a bad formulation of Haslinger, IMO.

Then I'll keep using it and hope it gets better, as I really enjoy the way it smells and the fact that it's so easy to lather.

I went on a deep dive of the Haslinger soaps threads. There is V1 and a V2 versions of the non tallow soap. Both are said to be good but V2 is touted at least by @Marco as the best version of all the Haslinger soaps. Here is a pic I grabbed of the V2 ingredients

1658340073339.png

Wow, thanks a bunch! I will definitely grab an aloe vera one later, hopefully it will be V2. The shop that has said soap is too far for me to go check there myself, but for ~5$ I'll take my chances. :p

As I posted before, just look at the ingredients list. The latest formula contains potassium cocoate and sodium cocoate. The previous formula had potassium palmate and sodium palmate instead.

The latest formula is an improvement, but the previous formula was pretty good, too. Load plenty of soap and add plenty of water, it should be slick. It's surprising how much water Haslinger can take if it's added to the lather gradually.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I went on a deep dive of the Haslinger soaps threads. There is V1 and a V2 versions of the non tallow soap. Both are said to be good but V2 is touted at least by @Marco as the best version of all the Haslinger soaps. Here is a pic I grabbed of the V2 ingredients

View attachment 1491052
Yes, Sir. A wonderful soap, almost never mentioned, is Honig (Honey). But all V2 are actually wonderful.

Wow, thanks a bunch! I will definitely grab an aloe vera one later, hopefully it will be V2. The shop that has said soap is too far for me to go check there myself, but for ~5$ I'll take my chances. :p

When I wanted to try Tabac, I e-mailed the seller to ask if it had tallowate in the ingredient list, because I wanted the tallow version. They checked and got back to me. So instead of hoping to get the version you want, you might e-mail and ask if they have what you want, so you will definitely get that version.

My experience with Haslinger Vegetal has been with an Aloe Vera V1 and Sensitive V2.
The Aloe Vera V1 was a terrible experience, couldn't even use it has a hand soap. But then I tried the Sensitive and it was much much better. It's actually the soap I will always keep with me. The Schafmilch and the Sandalwood are part of my future purchases.
Btw, the current formulation of the Aloe Vera and the Sensitive are very similar, the Aloe Vera has added parfum if I remember correctly. This also shows how the V1 and V2 worked very differently for me.

I wonder which one is mine. My guess is that it's v1.

Attachments

• 20220724_015112.jpg
    20220724_015112.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom