What's new

Haslinger Schafmilch Reformulated

That's an odd position for them to take. I certainly wouldn't condone killing animals just to make soap, but if we are using them as food anyways I think it makes perfect sense to use more parts of the animal, not less. And I seem to recall that palm oil is often (but not always) harvested in a very environmentally destructive way. . .

When I was in France a few years ago I had a discussion about this topic with a soapmaker. She said there was a lot of pressure put on those in that business not to use animal products.

Wow, it's shocking that people are willing to throw away the fat of the animal, they're just using the whole cow as opposed to just the meat. It's not like they're slaughtering animals just to get their fat. It just happens to be a byproduct that they're using.

I agree that it's an odd decision relative to tallow as a continuing by-product of meat consumption, but they've probably done the numbers and decided that they can increase sales this way. But again, if a stearate can be from animal tallow, they need to specify that it's not if taking this path; and why not forgo the sheep's milk while they're at it, to make it a vegan affair?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Listen to your customer needs = business success
Ignoring your customer needs, feeling that your existing product is good enough = obsolescence

The response from Hadlinger:

Sorry for the late answer but our small company was closed.

Yes, we have eliminated tallow from our shaving soaps. I have been working on a new recipe for a long time since I wanted to keep in line with my grandfather's philosophy when he founded the company, of producing plant based cosmetics. The shaving soaps were the only products on our catalog that did not keep up with this philosophy. After much research I succeeded in producing a vegetable based soap that performs just as well as our previous tallow soaps.

Before releasing the newly formulated shaving soaps, we sent blind tests to our biggest distributers with the old tallow soap and the new vegetable soap, and most could not tell the difference. Two preferred the vegetable soap, and only one preferred the tallow soap, but even they wrote, that the difference is very little. All in all, the response was positive.

I am quite proud of this (especially because I got told by some other soap producers, that they tried to copy our soap with just plant based oils, but were never able to succeed), and i hope that my customers will agree that performance has not been jeopardized. I know that tallow is special for shaving soaps but I hope my customers will see that it is possible to achieve the same performance without tallow.
Thank you for using Haslinger!

Best regards,
Andreas Haslinger​

The response from Hadlinger:

Sorry for the late answer but our small company was closed.

Yes, we have eliminated tallow from our shaving soaps. I have been working on a new recipe for a long time since I wanted to keep in line with my grandfather's philosophy when he founded the company, of producing plant based cosmetics. The shaving soaps were the only products on our catalog that did not keep up with this philosophy. After much research I succeeded in producing a vegetable based soap that performs just as well as our previous tallow soaps.

Before releasing the newly formulated shaving soaps, we sent blind tests to our biggest distributers with the old tallow soap and the new vegetable soap, and most could not tell the difference. Two preferred the vegetable soap, and only one preferred the tallow soap, but even they wrote, that the difference is very little. All in all, the response was positive.

I am quite proud of this (especially because I got told by some other soap producers, that they tried to copy our soap with just plant based oils, but were never able to succeed), and i hope that my customers will agree that performance has not been jeopardized. I know that tallow is special for shaving soaps but I hope my customers will see that it is possible to achieve the same performance without tallow.
Thank you for using Haslinger!

Best regards,
Andreas Haslinger​

Now I'm curious to give the new formulation a try and see what I think. I have almost zero experience with the old formula (I am pretty sure I used up a single puck of it like 6 years ago, but it didn't leave any lasting impression).

That's great thank for posting the Haslinger email.. I'm excited about it honestly. I gave into the panic and bought pairs of Schaf and ringel just before the new year.. The order finally came in two days ago and I got a mix.. The ringels are tallowate and the Schaf are kernelate. Happy to add them all to the stash.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+1 Jim, thanks for posting that e-mail.

Dunno. Will wait and see, but haven't others done the same thing - whether caving to loudmouths or for money-saving purposes - and come up with an inferior product?

Best is best left alone, IMHO. Another perfect shave today with Marigold- no scent, but what slick, protective lather.

AA

I bought three pucks in early December I think and was pleasantly surprised it didn't contain any tetrasodium EDTA. Now seeing this thread I checked my soaps and they don't contain any tallow either.

I didn't even notice. Top notch performance as I was always used to. So no need to panic fine Sirs!

Will be following peoples's experience with the new formula! (Fortunately I have a good stock of the old just in case.)

I now have 2 and a quarter pucks of Sandalwood with tallow. I will now wait and see what everyone else thinks of the new formula.

Top Bottom