What's new

Haslinger Sage

I bought a puck at a clearance sale as I had never tried it.
I was hard as iron and difficult to lather. However, I soaked it overnight and was very impressed. Almost as good as SV! Lather creamy and loads of glide. No scent really, but performance tops.

This was the tallow version, so the vegan version may not be as good according to some.
Are all scents the same in terms of performance?
The pucks are small, so not the cheapest of soaps as might appear at first glance, but minimal packaging so you are not paying for fancy boxes or containers.

Schafsmilch and Honig are in my rotation. I’ve tried them all except coconut. None of them had much of a scent, but the performance cannot be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haslinger Schafmilch - the one with sheep milk & lanolin, is one of my favorites! It’s performance is fantastic, it’s scent is pretty clean. As a stand alone soap, it’s again, fantastic. Mixed with a puck of Fine American soap... it’s spectacular. It has all the scent you’d ever want, with performance second to none.

Haslinger’s soaps are top notch IMO!:a29::a29:

I have tried and enjoyed them all. Scents are mild and once you add enough (and it takes a lot) water these are really slick! For me, the tallow versions are definitely best.

This was the tallow version, so the vegan version may not be as good according to some.

They work just as fine. Some folks are religiously fanatic about tallow, so they'll claim superiority without trying the soap or approach the vegan version with a bias. The mind is a powerful thing ;)
Haslinger actually had the formulas tested blind, testers couldn't tell a difference. And neither can I, having used both. ;)

It's a brilliant soap if you don't look for spectacular scents. They have been around for a while so you need no worry that the soap will just disappear. Puck lasts long too.

I've ordered another sage for £4 post free plus sheep's milk. I've been impressed with them, and no fancy containers to pay for.

I like the scent of Sage a lot. Not a fan of Schafsmilch... but I know lots of folks like it.

Not to start a huge debate, but I thought the Tallow-version outperformed the new vegan-version :eek2:

I like the scent of Sage a lot. Not a fan of Schafsmilch... but I know lots of folks like it.

Not to start a huge debate, but I thought the Tallow-version outperformed the new vegan-version :eek2:

I’ve not had the vegan versions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage was my 1st Haslinger. Very impressive stuff, with an odd but not offensive scent.

Like @Earcutter , I mixed it with another soap. Stirling Sharp Dressed Man was too strongly scented and stung my face. The 2 soaps mixed are wonderful!

Have only tried tallow

I bought two, sage tallow, and sheep's milk non tallow. The sage as very hard and whilst a good lather after experimenting a bit with water, tended to lack some glide. However, the non tallow had no such problem. Super easy to lather, rich and creamy and the same blade just shaved me with ease. Much better face feel. Don't let no tallow put you off. Some of the best soaps are tallow free.

Haslinger’s soaps are top notch IMO!:a29::a29:

I have tried and enjoyed them all. Scents are mild and once you add enough (and it takes a lot) water these are really slick! For me, the tallow versions are definitely best.
@BigJ is on the money, as always :a14:.
I am a big fan of Haslinger soaps. I have reserves in tallow of Schafmilch, Sage, Sandalwood, Ringelblumen, and Honig. The scents are mild and pleasant - I find the scent of Ringelblumen a dead ringer for the European Palmolive stick. The Sage is a fresh linen scent. My personal favourite is Schafmilch, but I enjoy them all.

I've only used the Ringenblumen, but if the rest are similar, it's as good as shaving soap gets. Takes just a few seconds of loading to get all the super slick lather I can use. I've not managed to finish a puck yet, but my guess is between six and eight months per at my normal rate.

This is from the descriptions from a local shop:

- Coconut: For dry skin.
- Aloe Vera: For sensitive and mature skin. Anti-inflammatory and Improves blood circulation.
- Sheepmilk : For dry and sensitive skin.
- Ringelblumen (Calendula): For sensitive skin. Anti-inflammatory.
- Honey: For all skin types.
- Sage: For oily and impure skins. Anti-inflammatory, helps healing of wounds, blood circulations and reduces sweating.
- Sandalwood: For normal and sensitive skin. Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and tonic.
- Seaweed. Improves elasticity and softens the skin.

Top Bottom