What's new

Haslinger question

In terms of actual shaving performance (not post shave conditioning) are all the Haslinger soaps essentially the same, the only difference being scent? Or, does the sheep’s milk formula, or any other particular Haslinger soaps, actually perform better during the shave- slickness, etc? Thanks

In terms of actual shaving performance (not post shave conditioning) are all the Haslinger soaps essentially the same, the only difference being scent? Or, does the sheep’s milk formula, or any other particular Haslinger soaps, actually perform better during the shave- slickness, etc? Thanks
Good question. I'd like to know as well. Thinking of getting some of these soon.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

It is probably a matter of personal preference. I have used the Schafmilch, Sandalwood, and Coconut (but in the tallow formula) and find them comparable.

There is not a lot of difference between them. For me the Schafmilch has slightly better post-shave feel due to the lanolin; this is more noticeable in the wintertime. For warmer weather, I usually prefer the other scents such as the Coconut, Honey, Marigold or Sage.

I think they are all equally great. Haslingers is one soap that the scent doesn’t matter much to me. I’m currently using the original tallow based Schafmilch. Scents are difficult for me to discern.

I think they are all equally great. Haslingers is one soap that the scent doesn’t matter much to me. I’m currently using the original tallow based Schafmilch. Scents are difficult for me to discern.

Where did you find the "tallow based" ? It is not produced anymore...

I find Schafmilch slicker than the other scents. Not much, but slicker.

Where did you find the "tallow based" ? It is not produced anymore...

I find Schafmilch slicker than the other scents. Not much, but slicker.
When Haslinger announced the change in formula some of us bought the existing stock of tallow soaps. I called Maggards up and they had some of the tallow stock and I bought three pucks.

I have the entire Haslinger’s line up and can say that they are all great!!

There are small differences in scent and, of course, some are blue in color. The Schafmilch also has lanolin which is a bit better for post-shave conditioning, especially during the winter.

:a29: :a29:

I like Haslinger’s too!
Schaffmilch, Meeresalgen, Coconut, Ringelblumen, and Sandalwood are fine soaps.
Meeresalgen has been a pleasant surprise. It’s perhaps a bit more moisture than Schaffmilch. Very nice post shave. I like Ringelblumen too.

It seems like many people enjoy the Schafmilch version of Haslinger. I got an Aloe Vera Haslinger recently and used it today. The soap was slick and built lather easily but it dried my skin quite a bit. By the end of the shave, it felt like I put on alum block all over my face. My mustache area was reacting a bit to the soap as well.

I'll be trying it out tomorrow again but so far, the soap doesn't seem to work well on my skin.

I’ve not used the Aloe.
The Meeresalgen is more hydrating.
I’m near the bottom of my Schaffmilch and will purchase Meeresalgen and Ringelblumen.

It seems like many people enjoy the Schafmilch version of Haslinger. I got an Aloe Vera Haslinger recently and used it today. The soap was slick and built lather easily but it dried my skin quite a bit. By the end of the shave, it felt like I put on alum block all over my face. My mustache area was reacting a bit to the soap as well.

I'll be trying it out tomorrow again but so far, the soap doesn't seem to work well on my skin.
There was a change in the formula from stearic acid + palm oil to stearic acid + coconut oil. Which one do you have?

I have the stearic acid + palm oil one.
That one has been working well for me. I usually use either the Schafmilch or the RIngelblumen. The Aloe Vera one looked fairly similar to those, except the Schafmilch has lanolin.

You could try adding a few drops of vegetable glycerin in with your lather.

I don’t see a whole lot of difference between most soaps. There’s some stinkers out there like MWF but for the most part all soaps work fine.

That one has been working well for me. I usually use either the Schafmilch or the RIngelblumen. The Aloe Vera one looked fairly similar to those, except the Schafmilch has lanolin.

You could try adding a few drops of vegetable glycerin in with your lather.
Good advice.

I have the stearic acid + palm oil one.

I also didn't like that one.
But have used the Sensitive (Coconut Oil formulation) and love it.

I've made a compilation of the new formulations and it seems the Sensitive and Aloe Vera are the same, but this last one has added parfum.
I'm going to share the formulations here. The only one I'm not sure is the Honig, has it still listed the Palm Oil base.
Not sure how "clean" this formulations are, I'd love if someone with this kind of knowledge commented on it.

SENSITIVE:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerin, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, myristic acid, lauric acid, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, coconut acid, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, pca glyceryl oleate, lecithin, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

SHEEP'S MILK:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerine, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, myristic acid, lauric acid, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lanolin, lecithin, coconut acid, alpha-isomethyl ionone, CI 77891, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

SANDALWOOD:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerin, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, myristic acid, lauric acid, coconut acid, lecithin, santalum album (sandelwood) oil, CI 77492, caramel, hexyl cinnamal, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

ALOE VERA:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerin, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, myristic acid, lauric acid, aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, coconut acid, lecithin, CI 77492, bencyl salicylat, eugenol, hydroxycitronellal, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

MARIGOLD:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerin, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, propylene glycol, calendula officinalis extract, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, myristic acid, lauric acid, coconut acid, lecithin, CI 77492, linalool, hexyl cinnamal, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

SAGE:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, aqua (water), glycerin, sodium cocoate, sodium cocoyl glycinate, propylene glycol, salvia officinalis extract, parfum, myristic acid, lauric acid, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lecithin, CI 77007, CI77266, benzyl benzoate, limonene, linalool, tetrasodium glutamate diacetate.

HONIG:
potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, aqua (water), sodium palm kernelate, mel (honey), glycerin, parfum, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lecithin, sodium hydroxide, CI 18965, CI 14720, cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylat, citronellol.

I might be getting Schafmilch pretty soon. It's supposed to have a little sumptin sumptin with the lanolin. But the rest differ by scent. Sandalwood is my favorite. Sage and Seaweed are blah. Seaweed smells like hair conditioner. Coconut is okay, but the smell could've been stronger and more realistic.

After reading here about Haslinger's formula change from palm oil to coconut oil, I ordered a puck of aloe vera just to see what I thought of the new formula. Well, it arrived in yesterday's mail, and it's the original tallow formula! Oh well. I think I've tried every variety except seaweed, and for me they are all OK, though I didn't care for the honey scent. I love honey, just not in my soap.

Top Bottom