What's new

Haslinger (non tallow)

I just tried the Haslinger Aloe Vera (non tallow) version today. I received a puck with my Shavemac knot purchase a while ago.

The scent was mild but pleasant. It lathered super easily (just like its reputation), almost thoughtlessly. The soap was luxurious and cushioning. I could buff with abandon and still had protection. Zero irritation after the shave. Also, the soap rinsed off easily while my skin felt nourished.

Post-shave as good as the super-fatted modern soaps? No. Good enough? More than good enough. Shave as good as modern, artisanal soaps? Absolutely. I've never tried or experienced the tallow version of this shave soap, but who cares. I highly recommend it as is.

For those who are concerned about the size of the puck and how to fit it into a container, I just used a box grater to grate into an old container and pressed it down. It took 20 seconds. Another soap to have in the den.

I am curious about people who combine Haslinger and MWF into the same container. An interesting experiment.
I love all the Haslinger soaps. Fine products. I like that the pucks are a bit smaller...easy to fit in any container.

I have just recently jumped aboard the Haslinger bandwagon. Have had pucks of Spa Sandalwood and Seaweed in the den for a while now but usually look over them due to the somewhat lighter scents and the fact that they get mentioned so much on the fourms, but this stuff is one of the slickest soaps I have tried out of Hundreds which is really saying a LOT.

P.S. If you are put off by the light scents try the Spa Sandalwood which IMO is the strongest scent they offer. Smells like some of the Aduvardic soaps.

I've now tried the Schafmilch and honey. I think the honey is better. Seems more cushion and feels a tad denser. I honestly can't find fault. It's not gonna be one for the strong scent lovers as it, and the Schafmilch, are very low key scent wise. It's a very good shaving soap. I still favour my Tabac of course. It feels thicker, more body somehow, but considering Haslinger tried to make a non tallow soap as good as their tallow version, I'd say their effort is impressive.

It's a :thumbup1: from me.

I think your Tabac v Haslinger assessment is dead on. I also think vintage OS and tallow AOS have the same, albeit slight, advantage over Haslinger. Haslinger is right there, though, and my first thought when I tried Haslinger Coconut was of the slick denseness seen in those three soaps.

I've now tried the Schafmilch and honey. I think the honey is better. Seems more cushion and feels a tad denser. I honestly can't find fault. It's not gonna be one for the strong scent lovers as it, and the Schafmilch, are very low key scent wise. It's a very good shaving soap. I still favour my Tabac of course. It feels thicker, more body somehow, but considering Haslinger tried to make a non tallow soap as good as their tallow version, I'd say their effort is impressive.

It's a :thumbup1: from me.

Excited to hear this. Just added a puck of the honey at WCS to bump me up to free shipping. Always wanted to try Haslinger and the honey sounds nice but I’m but a fan of strongly scented soaps.

Can’t wait to try it

Necromancing this old thread.

This morning I finally tried the (rather) new Haslinger veg base, the one with coconut oil instead of the old palm oil-based formulation.
I previously used the non-tallow versions of Shafmilch and Honey soaps and I can affirm this new base is a noticeable step ahead in terms of performance.
I chose the "Sensitiv" because at the moment I placed my order it was the only in stock with the new base.
As the name implies, this version is fragrance-free and it's amusing how the delicate scent caught my attention as I lathered a very thick and very protective huge amount of what it looked like whipped cream (personal reminder: next time use less soap/more water).
I was unsure of what it smelled like. At first I thought of a vinyl-based white glue I used eons ago called "Vinavil". Then I realized I was wrong and the idea of the smell of pencil shavings crossed my mind. Finally, after further sniffings, I decided Haslinger Sensitiv smells like plaster for walls but in a quite nice and comfortable (cozy?) way. Not the scent you would expect in your toiletries, still a very good soap that I will surely buy again.

Lather: 8.5/10
Scent: N.D.
Protection: 10/10
Slickness: 7.5/10
Post Shave: 6.5/10

Necromancing this old thread.

This morning I finally tried the (rather) new Haslinger veg base, the one with coconut oil instead of the old palm oil-based formulation.
I previously used the non-tallow versions of Shafmilch and Honey soaps and I can affirm this new base is a noticeable step ahead in terms of performance.
I chose the "Sensitiv" because at the moment I placed my order it was the only in stock with the new base.
As the name implies, this version is fragrance-free and it's amusing how the delicate scent caught my attention as I lathered a very thick and very protective huge amount of what it looked like whipped cream (personal reminder: next time use less soap/more water).
I was unsure of what it smelled like. At first I thought of a vinyl-based white glue I used eons ago called "Vinavil". Then I realized I was wrong and the idea of the smell of pencil shavings crossed my mind. Finally, after further sniffings, I decided Haslinger Sensitiv smells like plaster for walls but in a quite nice and comfortable (cozy?) way. Not the scent you would expect in your toiletries, still a very good soap that I will surely buy again.

Lather: 8.5/10
Scent: N.D.
Protection: 10/10
Slickness: 7.5/10
Post Shave: 6.5/10
Is the V1 lather (formulation without coconut oil) denser (of lower structure) than that produced by the V2 base (with coconut oil)? Thank you.

Top Bottom