What's new

Haslinger - Late to the Party

In 2006 I bought a Shavemac brush and it came with a puck of Haslinger. Since I was new to wetshaving and most of my experience was with soaps I could melt (Saint Charles Shave, Col. Conk), I tried to melt the Haslinger and you can guess how that turned out. I tossed that without ever using it.

Earlier this year I bought another Shavemac brush and, once again, got another free puck of Haslinger (one of the blue ones, can't remember which). I opened it to smell it (neutral scent) and tossed it in a ziploc bag. I found it yesterday and gave it a try. Whoa! This stuff is awesome! It developed a lather quicker than anything this side of MdC, and that lather proved to be slick and comfortable. I tried it again today to make sure I didn't have some fluke experience. Nope. This is the real deal.

So now that I'm officially a Haslinger fan, I have two questions:
1. How long do these pucks last?
2. Has anyone found a good travel case to hold these? I've seen some empty four ounce tubs for sale, but I'd like something short that I can easily throw in my travel shave kit.

In 2006 I bought a Shavemac brush and it came with a puck of Haslinger. Since I was new to wetshaving and most of my experience was with soaps I could melt (Saint Charles Shave, Col. Conk), I tried to melt the Haslinger and you can guess how that turned out. I tossed that without ever using it.

Earlier this year I bought another Shavemac brush and, once again, got another free puck of Haslinger (one of the blue ones, can't remember which). I opened it to smell it (neutral scent) and tossed it in a ziploc bag. I found it yesterday and gave it a try. Whoa! This stuff is awesome! It developed a lather quicker than anything this side of MdC, and that lather proved to be slick and comfortable. I tried it again today to make sure I didn't have some fluke experience. Nope. This is the real deal.

2. Has anyone found a good travel case to hold these? I've seen some empty four ounce tubs for sale, but I'd like something short that I can easily throw in my travel shave kit.
The pucks can last for 60 shaves or more, since you don't need to load much.

Haslinger started selling pucks in a small metal tin as on option. You can take the puck out and lather while holding it in your hand, since the tin is too small to use the brush. Similar tins can be found at the Container Store and other places.

Another approach is to make you own shave stick by grating the soap and pressing it into a container. I can tell you Haslinger works great as a shave stick and you probably get more shaves from a puck this way.

cont-2.jpghaslinger-sheep-milk-in-aluminium.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The pucks can last for 60 shaves or more, since you don't need to load much.

Haslinger started selling pucks in a small metal tin as on option. You can take the puck out and lather while holding it in your hand, since the tin is too small to use the brush. Similar tins can be found at the Container Store and other places.

Another approach is to make you own shave stick by grating the soap and pressing it into a container. I can tell you Haslinger works great as a shave stick and you probably get more shaves from a puck this way.

View attachment 1040220View attachment 1040221
Never tried Haslingers, but I would do it your way, as I just dig the ease of face lathering. Thanks!

I just finished a puck of Haslinger Coconut that I've been alternating with other soaps since February. I figure if I used only the Haslinger it would be 5 months.

I am a Haslinger fan too.
I ground up some of their Sandalwood and made a shave stick. Great for traveling.

+1! Haslinger’s is the real deal IMHO!! All eight options are excellent and the little pucks last a long time!!

To answer your question, consider grating the puck then press it into one A twist up tube to make a stick for travel. (I believe WCS has some tubes for sale.)

Whoa! This stuff is awesome! It developed a lather quicker than anything this side of MdC, and that lather proved to be slick and comfortable. I tried it again today to make sure I didn't have some fluke experience. Nope. This is the real deal.

I had a similar experience after thinking nothing could touch MdC for ease of use. I threw mine into a smallish aluminum container (similar to the ones you note) that previously held a soap that was tossed due to skin irritation. I was on my way to about 3 months of 4-5 times a week use (tired of the sandalwood scent and tossed the last ~20%). One thing I will suggest is to leave it out to dry after use. Over time, not drying it, mine turned into a bit of a goopy soft croap/cream as it absorbed A LOT of water.

I've only used a couple pucks of Haslinger but got about 5-6 weeks of daily shaves from them. I don't keep very accurate records of that so don't have an exact number of shaves. This might not help for travel but for home use, I found an old Proraso soap tub fits a Haslinger puck pretty well and since it flares out at the top still allows for easy lathering. For travel, I'd go with a shave stick container but I have other sticks I like, so I travel with those.

How do you like the O'Keeffe's? My hands just love Michigan.
O'Keeffe's has been a life saver...well, hand saver. I am trying to stay ahead of my chapped hands. I may have two containers for Haslinger soap at the rate I'm going through it.

As effective as O'Keeffe's has been, I sampled some Duke Cannon Bloody Knuckles Hand Repair Balm and will probably use that next.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
O'Keeffe's has been a life saver...well, hand saver. I am trying to stay ahead of my chapped hands. I may have two containers for Haslinger soap at the rate I'm going through it.

As effective as O'Keeffe's has been, I sampled some Duke Cannon Bloody Knuckles Hand Repair Balm and will probably use that next.
I'm also looking at the O'KEEFFE'S for the War Department's feet. I have feet like a baby's butt, probably because I spent my life standing up or walking around for a living.

+1! Haslinger’s is the real deal IMHO!! All eight options are excellent and the little pucks last a long time!!

To answer your question, consider grating the puck then press it into one A twist up tube to make a stick for travel. (I believe WCS has some tubes for sale.)

Yes.
I used the WCS tubes.
Compare a Schaffmilch shave stick to anything else out there. Go ahead. Shave with it and see for yourself.

I was a little late to the Haslinger party as well. Bought a puck of the Honey a few years back, as I'd heard good things about Haslinger soaps. Didn't get around to trying it until about a year ago.

It's been a favorite in my rotation ever since.

I have not tried it, but Cold River Soap Works claims to have a Schapenmelk soap that is supposed to replicate the traditional Haslinger tallow formulation. Not too long ago, Haslinger changed their formula. They eliminated the tallow, but kept the sheep's milk and lanolin. Thus, Schapenmelk might be an alternative for those who prefer the traditional Haslinger tallow formula.

I haven't tried new formula, but found old one to be great (many claim they are pretty close in performance).

For my skin, Haslinger can get a little dry in that "aftershave feel", but that's one of those subjective things as we all have different skin. I grated mine, two pucks into old tub I had saved, and this worked great, I guess it kept the mild scent from airing out and worked great for lathering too.

@McNutt - If you like soaps that lather super easy (I know you like two of them at least), give Tabac a try next. :D
While there's no general agreement on scent (love or hate thing - no middle ground for those who tried it) - it's silly easy soap to lather, and for me at least, it performs very well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Blue is the sage variety, I think.

All Haslinger shaves very well, though mot have little scent.

AA

I haven't tried new formula, but found old one to be great (many claim they are pretty close in performance).

For my skin, Haslinger can get a little dry in that "aftershave feel", but that's one of those subjective things as we all have different skin. I grated mine, two pucks into old tub I had saved, and this worked great, I guess it kept the mild scent from airing out and worked great for lathering too.

@McNutt - If you like soaps that lather super easy (I know you like two of them at least), give Tabac a try next. :D
While there's no general agreement on scent (love or hate thing - no middle ground for those who tried it) - it's silly easy soap to lather, and for me at least, it performs very well.
I've tried it. I think it's a great performer, but that scent is kryptonite to me. The last time I used it I accidentally sniffed some lather from under my nose. It went far into my nose and that scent was inescapable.

Top Bottom