What's new

Has your fragrance collection gotten out of control?

I have hundred of samples and decants. Not so many bottles, but maybe 40 or so. And some of these were relatively small amounts left over from full bottles when I got them. They take up essentially two full book shelves, maybe another shelf of shoe boxes with samples, plus some in the drawers around my sink. And about six months ago I gave away a whole bunch of samples and decants, and decanting supplies. None of this really takes into account aftershave. I would say that like The Nid Hog, I am working my way down, although I have acquired a fair number of decants this calendar year.

I ain't complaining!

Rudy! Rudy has wonderful taste in scents based on what I know about him. I would be interested in what he is wearing these days.

I am kind of down to Arko and MdC for shaving soaps.

This is 1 rabbit hole I willingly wanted to fall inside but there's none for me. Most if not all matching or good aftershaves can't or won't be shipped by the shave vendors. That said, I do have 10 good ones. Should be enough for a long time. So, unable to get out of control...

This is 1 rabbit hole I willingly wanted to fall inside but there's none for me. Most if not all matching or good aftershaves can't or won't be shipped by the shave vendors. That said, I do have 10 good ones. Should be enough for a long time. So, unable to get out of control...
Aftershaves are not a part of the mainstream fragrance world, it is more EDT, EDP, EDC etc.

Do you mean you're trying to match your aftershave to an EDT? I'd give up on that and get a good neutral aftershave instead. Mandom Lucido is a nice one. They you don't have to worry with something clashing.

15952995929953581296996074257607.jpg

I'll buy 2-3 frags per year, over the last few years. But it has to be something that really interests me.

Went a little crazy 5 through 7 years ago and now have a drawer full to use up.

Do you mean you're trying to match your aftershave to an EDT? I'd give up on that and get a good neutral aftershave instead. Mandom Lucido is a nice one. They you don't have to worry with something clashing.
I second this. I use a neutral aftershave. I am not sure what a significant fragrance adds to an aftershave other than the possibility of irritation. Unless I am buying a vintage scent and AS is all I can get.

Mandom Lucido AS is great stuff. Is it available in the States for a reasonable price? I do not mean the price of about $18 a bottle, I meant the $20 or so of shipping that is usually involved, it looks like. How much does it go for in Japan anyway.

I have about 100 fragrances in my collection. About 25 of them are "wetshaver" frags like Brut, Old Spice, Aqua Velva Musk, Pinaud, etc. The rest are off-beat designers. The only true high-end niche frag I currently own is by Bond, Chelsea Flowers, which I reviewed recently. I've pondered the main question of this thread since 2014, when I bought my house. Things were getting expensive, I had other interests, and I decided to slow down in my fragrance buying. Or so I thought. By 2017 I realized I had simply slowed down a little, but really I'd just continued buying and adding to the collection.

Last year I took a year off from blogging and reviewing things, and yet I continued buying stuff, albeit at a much slower pace than in previous years, and figured I finally got a handle on things. My overall goal is to keep the collection at no more than 100 bottles. The plan for 2020 was to cut off altogether and just enjoy what I have. Then the pandemic hit, and now I find myself home a lot more than before (still working, thank god), and to stay sane I'm back to buying and writing about things again. However, I'm capping off at maybe one or two more purchases (all under $40) and that'll be it for the year. Maybe $400 spent altogether for the year. Not great, but not terrible, either.

I've never admired the people with thousands of fragrances in their collections. I've witnessed several such collections, often on youtube, sometimes elsewhere. I understand why they do it, but to me it's just pointless. When you get past 150/200 frags, you can't possibly keep track of everything and really enjoy everything in a given year. Some folks have enough where they wouldn't wear the same thing twice for three years. Interesting but what's the point? Also, over time some of these fragrances, after months and months of neglect, may start to change, go off, lose their potency, you name it. By the time you roll around to that bottle you spent $200 on six years ago, it may not be worth the money anymore, and you've only worn it twice because hey, 1,000+ bottles to work through.

Lest this come off as a rant against huge collections, I'll caveat by saying that I admire people's enthusiasm for fragrance, just not the tendency to overstuff their collections. Some of the folks who pile on the frags really love this field, and have endless things to say about an endless number of fragrances, much of which is interesting to hear and read. So in a way I'm glad they have huge wardrobes. I just don't want one myself, as it's not something I want to emulate.

Mandom Lucido AS is great stuff. Is it available in the States for a reasonable price? I do not mean the price of about $18 a bottle, I meant the $20 or so of shipping that is usually involved, it looks like. How much does it go for in Japan anyway.

I picked up a bottle in Little Osaka in LA the last time I was there, so you can find it around in the US. Amazon has it, but it's in a package of 6 bottles ($35 and free shipping). That might be a lot of Lucido.

I picked up a bottle in Little Osaka in LA the last time I was there, so you can find it around in the US. Amazon has it, but it's in a package of 6 bottles ($35 and free shipping). That might be a lot of Lucido.

I noticed the Amazon deal. That is a lot of Lucido, but a very fair per bottle price. Little Osaka! Very cool. A very nice product.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
No. I only have a few but am definitely getting interested. Revisiting some of the nostalgic scents of my youth. Some I want for sentimental reasons. Bought some Jovan Musk cologne, comes on strong, I think it’s going to last a long time. The Old Spice is a frequent flyer, as is the Stetson AS Ive been enjoying lately. Bought Skin Bracer today and have some Clubman Pinaud Classic arriving this week. Brut and Aqua Velva should round things out. I think I got this under control.....ish.

I have recently stuck my nose under the tent after totally staying away from the shaving forums For years. I have continued to use a DE and my basic soaps.
I am amazed at all the new boutique shave soap companies and scents. Hardly any other options besides prowling flea markets for old Gillettes at that time. Wow....right now is the golden age in shaving and products! I ordered a few things from A&E that I’m pretty excited about.

No. I only have a few but am definitely getting interested. Revisiting some of the nostalgic scents of my youth. Some I want for sentimental reasons. Bought some Jovan Musk cologne, comes on strong, I think it’s going to last a long time. The Old Spice is a frequent flyer, as is the Stetson AS Ive been enjoying lately. Bought Skin Bracer today and have some Clubman Pinaud Classic arriving this week. Brut and Aqua Velva should round things out. I think I got this under control.....ish.
Good job, sir. Each man into shaving should have all the lotions you listed. Not a "pooch" in the bunch.

Mine is slightly out of control but I enjoy the scents so not really can you ever have to much if you enjoy it and have room for the bottles?

I've got more than 50 full bottles, and more than a 100 decant bottles. :(

A little out of control, yes, but I really enjoy the overall experience, but yeah, it's an expensive hobby on top of wet shaving gears and tools.

Top Bottom