What's new

Has this blade been abused?

I recently "re-obtained" a Wade & Butcher Wedge (long story..will not get into it). Anyway, the prodigal razor returned home with a bevel which measures about 1.5mm-2.0mm.
$DSC00930.jpg

The razor shaves fairly well, no real concern there. I guess it may even shave better with a fresh honing.

My question is...is this a "normal" bevel for a razor of this sort? I am not a collector of "old" razors. I have a Henckels full hollow from about 1920 which looks nothing like this. My Hart Steel (quarter hollow) bears NO resemblance to it whatsoever.

Like I said, it seems to work OK..the aesthetics bother me a tad, but I guess I could get over it (or maybe have the whole thing re-done to look more like the rest of my quiver??

Any insight and/or advice here???

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Lay that puppy's edge up against something straight and backlight it, please. Looks to be a bunch of edge gaps introduced by waaay too much pressure. It actually looks like something I would do... doh!

that first picture looks like a wavy edge, the second not so much, much better. i think the intent of rockvipers request is to see to place the edge on something straight so that we could see any irregularity of the edge via the amount of light that seeps through, (it looks odd in the 1/4 near the heel and teh 1/4 near the point which the first picture really looks like it's off..

anytime you start honing and you run into irregular/assymetrical honing pressure or warp you could end up with an awkward looking bevel..

When you wear down the spine on a wedge from years of honing, you also widen the bevel. The razor in the pics doesn't look like its got much hone wear, however, but I can only tell so much from pics. That looks like a full wedge or a near wedge. If that's the case, you'll always see a really wide bevel if you choose not to tape the spine.

Did it not look like that when you last saw it? Like daflorc said, with that much hone wear you're going to see a wide bevel. You can mitigate it by honing with tape on the spine but you'll have to remember to tape it again any time you touch it up.

When you wear down the spine on a wedge from years of honing, you also widen the bevel. The razor in the pics doesn't look like its got much hone wear, however, but I can only tell so much from pics. That looks like a full wedge or a near wedge. If that's the case, you'll always see a really wide bevel if you choose not to tape the spine.

Pretty much answered the question. Thanks all.

Looks like a normal amount of hone wear and bevel size on a wedge or near wedge razor. There appears to be a small frown near the heel, will be tough to correct on a wedge.

Top Bottom