What's new

Has the whole "scent free" thing in workplaces and public space gone too far?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At this point, I look forward to correctly ID'ing someone's over-applied cologne ... "Hmm. Azzaro Chrome!"

AA

When you think of it, most colognes, perfumes, fabric softeners, scented detergents are just chemicals. They may smell "nice", but we are still inhaling chemicals that likely are toxic to our bodies...since I don't think inhaling chemicals was part of the original plan for us. Probably a good idea to minimize exposure. Sometimes, less is more.

M

Member 113878

Indeed.
I used to wear cologne everyday for two decades, but decided to stop for two reasons: avoid repeated skin contact with potentially hazardoud chemicals, and be more respectful toward colleagues at the office.
Since two years, I’m only using aftershaves, and preferably artisan products using essential oils and other ingredients that are good for the skin.

Acqua di Gio.
man I hear ya, the scent by itself is alright, but holy hell the people who chose to wear it seem to bath in it and have terrible body chemistry. Years ago I had a co worker who dose himself with it,we both worked in an attic like space in a small law firm building. From the 3rd floor I could smell him outside in the parking lot .

Heh (with @KBShave ) reminds me of the visualizations imagining a chemical dispersal having a thicker density than air, yet maybe only showing 'heat shimmer' as it wafts down the body of the wearer, pooling at their feet and starting to rivulet toward an open staircase which allows it to generally follow the plan of people walking down to the ground floor and out the door into the parking lot.. Of course, by then it isn't a tightly bundled fragrance, it has spread and the last staircase was just too much and it occupies a vertical column 10 feet tall and at the door mouse nor bird could avoid the slap in their face... (ya, sometimes I'm far too visually oriented.)

Cologne, suits, and crowded elevators definitely don't go together well.

I know the concept is, well what about the "olden" days. They weren't so good. Many offices were full of cigarette smoke. Airplanes were full of cigarette smoke. All restaurants and bars were as well.

Most people know how much "perfume" to wear or not to wear but many don't.

My office is in the basement, and my officemates are two dogs and a 60 gal. fish tank. I do not spare the cologne. Oud? Oil away!

Heh (with @KBShave ) reminds me of the visualizations imagining a chemical dispersal having a thicker density than air, yet maybe only showing 'heat shimmer' as it wafts down the body of the wearer, pooling at their feet and starting to rivulet toward an open staircase which allows it to generally follow the plan of people walking down to the ground floor and out the door into the parking lot.. Of course, by then it isn't a tightly bundled fragrance, it has spread and the last staircase was just too much and it occupies a vertical column 10 feet tall and at the door mouse nor bird could avoid the slap in their face... (ya, sometimes I'm far too visually oriented.)

hehe, your words could be a script for a film, I can see it now John Carpenter's "The Waft", cue Ennio Morricone's intro music as the evil scented entity lurks and flows about, taking down victims and growing stronger with each kill.

heh, that could one scary hour and half. and, of course, the next new opportunity for Hollywood to bring 'smell-o-vision' to the modern theater experience! (or not!) Thx m8

The only "cologne" I wear anymore is Old Spice...the classic scent with a sprayer. Everything else is Aftershave, which don't tend to stick around with much strength.

I wore Adidas Moves in highschool. One spray, maybe two. Enough so if I walked closely past a girl she might catch a slight whiff, but I didn't wanna make anyone have an asthma attack! Came in handy after gym class wearing stinky clothes that were long past time to be washed :)

I get the whole no heavy fragrance thing. where i use to work there were people you could smell thier cologne or perfume in the elevator 10 minutes after they used it.. and I'm not kidding. I'm not one of these spray in the air and walk through it, but I don't bathe in it either

Bump. When I worked at a nonprofit there were two folks you did not want be near. One was a rather obese woman who did not bathe often enough. The other was a fellow who smoked a pipe and wore enough cologne for three lads on the way to the prom.

Top Bottom