What's new

Has the Quality of Personna Lab Blue Blades Gone Down?

Oh, I got confused I thought you where talking about Shick multi cartridge blades such as the Schick Quattro. That is the last multi blade shaver that I have used: Shick Quatro and also Gillette Fusion 5 blade.

Wow, its been a long time since I used a multi-blade plastic razor. I still have the Schick Quattro in the medicine cabinet. I bring it when travelling on an airplane since TSA has outlawed DE blades. Has a terrorist ever hijacked a plane with a DE blade? They also have bullwhips illegal too. Has a terrorist ever hijacked a plane with a bull-whip?

TSA sucks. Millions of gallons of shampoo wasted by them.

Shampoo, small pocket knives, razor blades, and I bet there’s more just-opened water bottles than shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I bought Personna Lab blades I bought them from a legitimate laboratory supply company. Razor blades were only a tiny part of their business. I went to their website and it still shows the blades I bought from them. As with all things Personna, it is a mystery. I did check their specialty catalog and fortunately the Medical Prep blades still look the same. Since I have at least a five-year supply of the Med blades, I have no worries.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are not happy with the Personna lab blue try the Personna reds, a very nice blade. The competition in the blade world is very strong and Personna has a very well liked blade brand and why would they cheapen the product is beyond me. Its hard to take back market share when you don't give a dam. Maybe just a bad batch of blades more than likely or Chinese imitations?

Detroit is the answer of what happens when industry dies. Some of it looks worse than the bombing of Dresden during WWII which is by no means a laughing matter. Who knows if Personna is a union shop? It is irrelevant. I only know they have Verona and Israel plants. Schick has China and Wilkinson is made in Deutschland as well as licensed in India and Asia. The blades in Wrong Aid are Israeli the white dispenser are Barber blades made here and they are sharper but do not last as long as the wrapped blades with the schmutz ink jobs. Barbers are blank except for arrows.

Now the reds are made here and sent to Mexico or made in Israel and packaged in Mexico? These confuse and confound me. I have so many on my shelf I cannot see myself buying them.

To further muddy the water the Red pack in the dispenser they sell at Penny Genny I have not used. I wonder if they are the same as the white plastic dispenser blades? Or are they labeled like the wrapped ones. I feel the Israeli in the metal dispenser are better blades. Survey Says? I feel like Vinny Barbarino. I'm so confused! Ooh ooh ooh ooh Mr. Kotter. Wonder if Arnold Dingfelder Horshack used a Super Speed. Mr. Kotter was a Hai Karate guy, lol. The 60s Personna blades came in a neat plastic case that snapped shut like a pill case. The case cost more to make than the blades did

Last edited:
What about the Personna blades that comes in a metal and also one in a plastic dispenser which are supposed to be made in the US, how do the quality compare to the lab blue's?
I hope the Med Preps will stay, although the printing on them are just as bad as the lab blue, some say there the same blades but I find the med Preps sharper.

This thread got me to break out one of my "lab blues" I've probably had for a couple of years now. Loaded up in my Rockwell 6s/R3 combo. The shave just lacked the sharpness and smoothness of better Russian and Japanese blades.

If the Personna was all I had access to and could use I wouldn't know any better, but since I do, it's back into the cabinet for these.

proxy.php

Personna is VERY opaque and confusing.

If you appreciate their blades (as I do). then it is worthwhile reading through some of the Personna threads here or B&B. Here is my summary:

1. There are two factories, one in the US and one in Israel.
2. The US factory makes the med preps and lab blues.
3. The Israeli plant makes the 'reds' as well as other brands, such as Crystals and many store brands.
4. Key is that the packaging in TOTALLY confusing.

That's my summary for what it is worth.

M

member 119848

The race to the bottom, and the deindustrialization of the West makes me sad too. A lot of us are ready to pay some extra hard gained money for some quality, or to support our western industry. But I guess we are not enough. As the middle class is destroyed there are two markets left: Discount and Luxury, and nothing much in between.

I had my second shave today with the same Personna blade + a new razor I got on Amazon for $16 (Perfecto DE Chinese Razor)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SA7YS58

This new razor is much more aggressive than my Parker 22r. The Personna performed very well with the new razor. I would put the smoothness on par with Astra SP and it felt a little sharper than the Astra SP (my default brand that I use).

If I can get 4 shaves out of the Personna blade than I would add it to my list of Top 5 blades. Go America!

I think that after the big recession of 2008 that alot of people never recovered psychologically from a penny-pinchers mentality. We all had to tighten our belts in 2008 and economize. We became much more price sensitive and even though we are now in 2018 and the recession is long over I feel that a great number of us are still shopping with "lowest price" as our #1 criteria.

So long as "lowest price" is the #1 criteria than the USA is doomed as far as manufacturing is concerned. I am as guilty as anybody else because I am a giant cheapskate and will normally buy the Chinese knock-off product FIRST and then if I am not satisfied with it only THEN will I look to name brands.

This is an interesting thread! I had bought a 3 blade sampler of Lab Blues from TryABlade (among other blade varieties) and I’m currently using my first for the one blade for February challenge. After 10 shaves with it, the first three were excellent, the fourth decent and then fell rapidly off five and after. No blood or irritation, just extreme dulling. And yes, the ink lettering is smeared, which doesn’t bother me, wouldn’t impact blade performance.

I bought many more Personna Reds, hopefully those turn out to have more staying power for me!

I hate to hear this as I just ordered 250 from robbins medical. It's been 4 or 5 years since I got any. Will report back when I receive these as I still have 20 or so of my last purchase.

I just noticed that my pack says 2015 on the box (bottom right corner). Not sure if that means it was manufactured in 2015 or if the trademark is from 2015

This thread got me to break out one of my "lab blues" I've probably had for a couple of years now. Loaded up in my Rockwell 6s/R3 combo. The shave just lacked the sharpness and smoothness of better Russian and Japanese blades.

If the Personna was all I had access to and could use I wouldn't know any better, but since I do, it's back into the cabinet for these.

proxy.php
Can you take a picture of the information where it says where they are made. I think that the new packaged ones are made somewhere else from this blue package. Thanks

I did a shave today (day 3 of Personna blade) and drew blood in 3 places. So for me these blades are only good for 2 shaves before going in the trash bin. Based on that I dont think they are the best value. Because I can get 3-4 shaves from Astra SP and the Astras are $10 for 100 shipped 2 day Amazon Prime versus $12.50 for Personna Blue with 2 day shipping or $11.60 via usps first class mail

Ive never tried the Isrleal made Red personnas but almost all accounts say that the red ones are better. Sigh

I hate to hear this as I just ordered 250 from robbins medical. It's been 4 or 5 years since I got any. Will report back when I receive these as I still have 20 or so of my last purchase.
The blades you got fro Robbins will be fine. They are the Medical Prep blades - not the Labs.

Top Bottom