What's new

Has the Merkur 34 C deteriorated in quality?

Merkur as a brand might have been a big deal in the past, because not many modern razors existed back then and you either have to go for those shiny looking zamaks or grab something vintage with a very few exception here and there. But things have changed a lot in the past 7 years or so and they keep changing and while the 34C has been regarded as one of the best razors for a newbie, at that price point I would recommend a Game Changer instead. I do, however like my Merkur Progress, but I've got it for around $30 and I would never pay for it's full retail price.

Merkur, Muhle, Edwin Jagger and others should really rethink their strategies, because stainless steel razors are getting more and more affordable and widely available and are no longer considered to be a luxury and if they don't, they might go out of business.

Merkur, Muhle, Edwin Jagger and others should really rethink their strategies, because stainless steel razors are getting more and more affordable and widely available and are no longer considered to be a luxury and if they don't, they might go out of business.
I think that the 3 brands are in total different shape and position:
Merkur Dovo filed for bankruptcy in 2020 and recovered, but have not released a new razor in a long time.
Dovo/Merkur filed for bankruptcy - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/dovo-merkur-filed-for-bankruptcy.586846/

EJ has introduced 3one6 and new versions (new handles) for EJ89, Muhle R41 in stainless steel, some limited editions in Ti and the Companion...so the three brands are in a completely different position.
That said, I agree that these brands will have to change their strategies and possibly make new releases to keep up with the new interest in wet shaving.
As a consumer, it will be quite interesting to understand the price impact of the new wave of inflation, raw material and transport cost will have on all new and traditional brands.

I think that the 3 brands are in total different shape and position:
Merkur Dovo filed for bankruptcy in 2020 and recovered, but have not released a new razor in a long time.
Dovo/Merkur filed for bankruptcy - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/dovo-merkur-filed-for-bankruptcy.586846/

EJ has introduced 3one6 and new versions (new handles) for EJ89, Muhle R41 in stainless steel, some limited editions in Ti and the Companion...so the three brands are in a completely different position.
That said, I agree that these brands will have to change their strategies and possibly make new releases to keep up with the new interest in wet shaving.
As a consumer, it will be quite interesting to understand the price impact of the new wave of inflation, raw material and transport cost will have on all new and traditional brands.

That's true. Muhle and EJ did some stainless and titanium versions, but they still have a long way to go compared to many others.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I've owned a couple of Merkur 34C's lately, but I don't know how the quality compares to those manufactured in years past, nor how it compares to other companies like Parker or Muhle. Quality seems ok to me, but I'm not a shaving expert like many here are. Maybe I haven't owned mine long enough to experience deterioration or failure in materials or workmanship. I am pretty careful with handling and cleaning of my razors, so maybe that helps.

I've never tried any of the high-end stainless steel/titanium razors, so no comment on quality comparison to those.

I own Merkur, EJ and Maggard modern razors as well as a bunch of vintage Gillette's. I tend to like the feel of my shaves with 3 piece razors (2 piece in case of 34C) over 1 piece (TTO), due to the perceived firmness and stability of the way the blade is clamped in place.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Price-wise I've checked some retail values in local grocery store (due to inflation etc)
- 1pack of "premium selling brand" of disposables (3, 4 pcs per pack) is close to 10 EUR 😲 for maybe a month worth of shaves?!

Ridiculous!

Anyhow, for 30EUR (at my available vendors online) for 3 months worth of disposable shaves I can get any Mühle in zamak (26-28 EUR), EJ costs couple euros more, Fatips keep their 15-35 EUR range (from Piccolo to wood versions) and Merkurs are bit pricey from 45ish EUR for 34G which I'm looking at to 65 for Progress and about 75 for Futur. I've got Rocca R94 for 69 shipped which is far beyond Merkur's quality and design. So for me - Merkur offer least for the most inconvenient value 😭 probably won't get any of them for common sense reasons but just... maybe some day...

And my punch-line finally: regardless of all above, it's still better buy than any disposables on market. 2-3 month of plastic razor's money will get you a metal DE razor which will last at least 2 years, and that is enough for me to justify purchase. My "oldest" razors are Wilkinson Classic (plastic) - 8y, Mühle R89 - 3y and still running. R89 looks as new. No matter what - think how much disposables I've saved just by those two in last 8 years only 🤗

Def. would like to see proof of Merkur's lack of quality or at least downgrade but still it shouldn't be a show stopper imo

Top Bottom