What's new

Has the Merkur 34 C deteriorated in quality?

I just read a couple of people online claiming that the Merkur 34 C being sold today is not the same quality as it was in years past. I wonder if there is any truth to that. I have a Merkur 34 C that I bought recently, and I like it, but it is the first Merkur 34 C I have ever owned.
Can anyone speak to this?
Thank you.

They recently changed from a brass threaded centre post to one made of zinc alloy, the same as the cap. I think that was regressive decision to save on production costs. Other than that I don't think the quality has changed.
Anecdotal comments need to be treated with caution.

Can't say if quality has deteriorated, but the 34C i bought about a year ago has consistent blade alignment issues. As it was my first DE razor, I thought it was me, but having bought other razors subsequently i now see that the issue is with the razor.

Traditional razor producers, I mean, MERKUR and EDWIN JAGGER must improve their manufacture quality in a rush.

Why ?

Chinese producers as DS Cosmetic, Yaqi and others can delivery more quality and more variety for less money.

I am just waiting two months about a complain I made to Edwin Jagger about my EJ89 Gold Plated that started to peel the gold plate in the head. Their representative just said me they are having issues in production of this part and for me to wait. I am waiting. Until death probably.

Or they improve or will disappear very soon from the market.

They recently changed from a brass threaded centre post to one made of zinc alloy, the same as the cap. I think that was regressive decision to save on production costs. Other than that I don't think the quality has changed.
Anecdotal comments need to be treated with caution.
No, I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I got my Merkur 34C for less than $36. I think most of the time you get what you pay for, and you know what? I like my Merkur 34C a lot.

I have a 34C that I am ok with. It's fine, it's good, I use it occasionally. However I bought a 37C HD slant about 2 years ago, which is the slant version of the 34C and the threads don't all the way around the post. The post is flat sided on opposite sides, so the threads stop and start on the post. Most of the post is threaded so it does work, but it is not as it should be.

I just read a couple of people online claiming that the Merkur 34 C being sold today is not the same quality as it was in years past. I wonder if there is any truth to that. I have a Merkur 34 C that I bought recently, and I like it, but it is the first Merkur 34 C I have ever owned.
Can anyone speak to this?
Thank you.
Every Merkur has deteriorated in quality!
I had a 34C about a decade ago. Then I stopped DE shaving and got back into it like 8 months ago.
I started again with a 23C and a 33C. I also had bought a Futur. The quality was subpar in comparison to the older ones.
Made in Germany was the epitome of quality and sadly it's gone downhill.
During that same time, I bought a couple of Parkers that are Made in India. a 97R and a Variant! They are superior in build quality in every respect. The Parker 97R is Parker's version of the 34C. Better quality, slightly more aggressive, better efficiency and lower price. It's what the 34C should be!
As I've progressed in my shaving journey, I've bought higher tier razors of all kinds and now I'm starting out with vintage razors. And the only Zamac razor I've kept from when I started my journey is the Parker 97R. And I won't sell it!

I had a 34C about a decade ago. Then I stopped DE shaving and got back into it like 8 months ago.
I started again with a 23C and a 33C. I also had bought a Futur. The quality was subpar in comparison to the older ones.
During that same time, I bought a couple of Parkers that are Made in India. a 97R and a Variant! They are superior in build quality in every respect. The Parker 97R is Parker's version of the 34C. Better quality, slightly more aggressive, better efficiency and lower price. It's what the 34C should be!
As I've progressed in my shaving journey, I've bought higher tier razors of all kinds and now I'm starting out with vintage razors. And the only Zamac razor I've kept from when I started my journey is the Parker 97R. And I won't sell it!
I think the Parker 97R is chrome plated brass. I like it too.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

The handle is brass but the head is a zinc alloy as with many razors. Parker only refer to the handle being made from brass but are coy about the head material.

My issue with cheaper razors isn't the material (zamac), it will still likely last for many years.
It's the poor blade alignment, that is so common in them, that puts me off.

In SS razors it also happens, which is even more annoying (looking at the Blackland Era), but less often so.

Traditional razor producers, I mean, MERKUR and EDWIN JAGGER must improve their manufacture quality in a rush.

Why ?

Chinese producers as DS Cosmetic, Yaqi and others can delivery more quality and more variety for less money.

I am just waiting two months about a complain I made to Edwin Jagger about my EJ89 Gold Plated that started to peel the gold plate in the head. Their representative just said me they are having issues in production of this part and for me to wait. I am waiting. Until death probably.

Or they improve or will disappear very soon from the market.
I've sent two emails to Jagger over the past couple weeks. Zero response. I have a brush of theirs and a DE89 razor. While both are OK, those were the first and last Jagger products I'll buy. If I had a warrenty related issue, I doubt they'd address it. Too many other companies out there who WANT my business.

I have 8, no 9, wait, 10 vintage Gillette razors as well as the Jagger and a Feather AS-D2. I expect my Gillettes to outlast me like they did their previous owner/s. If the supply dried up and they were no longer so easily available and I needed a new razor, I'd look towards a Feather AS-D2 and American makers of solid stainless steel razors. Jagger, Merkur, Muhle, wouldn't even be on the horizon much less all the other low cost razors out there. Sure, they work fine but are pretty junky (for the most part) and I wouldn't buy a Jagger again knowing what I do now or a Parker, etc.

As to blade alignment, I have never ever seen that issue on a vintage $15 Tech or my AS-D2.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The biggest problem with Merkur is that they are no longer progressing, which has been the case for decades.
Even Muhle has a new line of items machined, Edwin Jagger has started using MIM, Fatip has improved alignment and finish (I know it's little)...
Their only selling point is that the factory is located in Germany, but the quality has been surpassed by China and India next to them.

The top of my Merkur 42C handle is even uneven enough to scratch the plating under the base plate.

Reactions: edw
Interesting topic indeed. As someone who's been lurking onto couple Merkurs (and bought 5 other razors in meanwhile) must say that I probably see no particular interest in them besides pure RAD curriosity. However, seing lots of positive reviews and lot of bad ones, makes me wonder for an objective discussion - shouldn't there be more images as evidence for the claims? Just asking 🤔

I have a 34g and a Progress. I cannot complain. Yes you buy a razor of vintage design. But my 34g it like a lot. The shaves are extraordinary.
I also have a Mühle R89...
I don't know... I think the merkur are what you can expect for the price. The Yaqi adjustable eg is priced ad the 34 and IMHO the built quality is not better then the merkur.

More variety and less money, sure. I think they still have a way to go with the quality of their razor heads. Razor handles and brushes seem very good though.

I have a shedload of Merkur razors and blade alignment has never been an issue. Sadly, I can't say the same about the Edwin Jagger DE89 (I've had 3). However, their 3One6 is sublimely built and blade alignment is perfect.

Reactions: Kix
I will possibly be updating my comment on the Merkur quality. I ordered a new 37C slant that should arrive this week. It's my first Merkur purchase in a long while since I've sold off all my other Merkur's a while back. I'm curious as to what the quality will be like.
We'll see!

Top Bottom