What's new

Has shaving gear gotten more affordable?

I've been away from the habit for at least a year and a half, and I'm noticing that prices seem to be lower, with a lot of affordable gear in both retail and classifieds. Am I trippin? I don't remember being able to buy quality brushes anywhere near the prices I'm seeing. My Kent cost me almost $100, and I see Silvertips for half of that now.

I can only guess that there are more manufacturers and suppliers of shaving gear these days as opposed to a couple of years ago. A little more pressure on prices as more competition enters the marketplace means that some items may have become cheaper. Don't forget that currency fluctuations will also have a bearing on the prices of products which often cross international borders.

I don't know. Tomorrow I will have been shaving with a DE razor for exactly one year. I have only seen prices of the products rise.

Like any products, some are affordable and some aren't. Kent brushes are a top line luxury brand. If you want a BK8 you'll pay the price for it.
Other product lines have popped up in the last few years that don't have any name brand recognition yet.
You can get a nice brush that is silvertip for half the price of a Kent, yes. But it won't say Kent on it.

Prices have risen quite a bit in my time (from vendors anyway). The b/s/t, on the other hand, is very much a buyers market, much moreso that it used to be.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
SMWBO picked me up a new brush today. It was $1.79 (yup, that's not a typo) from a grocery store. It's an Axelkraft badger brush (had to google for it) and looks like my 5 years olf nephew took a pair of sissors to "clean up" the tips. I have it soaking now to see what it ends up like (not expecting much).

At least her intentions were good :001_tt1:

Last edited:
Ya, as I look around more, prices aren't quite as good as I had thought they might be, but I think the whole market looks pretty good.

and SWMBO - I had to look that up, and I just about fell off my chair when I did.

Hahahaha

Top Bottom