What's new

Has King Gillette been completely retired?

Do Gillette still have any products that have King's picture on them or has he been completely discontinued as an advertising image?

I haven't seem any images of King on any "modern" equipment. I'd think his mug doesn't fit into Gillette/P&G's image of cool and "extreme".

There are several auctions at eBay for modern day Gillette Super Thin blades that bear King C's likeness. I'm not sure where they are made or how good they shave though.

Dang! Now that you mention it, King is on the Chinese blue blades as well. That's what I get for posting before I think:lol:

There are several auctions at eBay for modern day Gillette Super Thin blades that bear King C's likeness. I'm not sure where they are made or how good they shave though.

I think they are made in China. I've tried them and they aren't that great at all.

I haven't seem any images of King on any "modern" equipment. I'd think his mug doesn't fit into Gillette/P&G's image of cool and "extreme".

Not to hijack this thread but when I was in the grocery store last week I actually noticed how many products have "extreme" in their logos, etc. This has to be a focus group tested "buzz word". There were tons of products with "extreme clean", extreme energy", "extreme flavor". I don't really equate "extreme" as a positive factor in making a purchase.

I don't want an "extreme" blade---I'd like a smooth blade, please. Oh wait- the ad execs say "smooth" is umm, like, umm, soooo like dated, dude....

Marty E.

Not to hijack this thread but when I was in the grocery store last week I actually noticed how many products have "extreme" in their logos, etc. This has to be a focus group tested "buzz word". There were tons of products with "extreme clean", extreme energy", "extreme flavor". I don't really equate "extreme" as a positive factor in making a purchase.

I don't want an "extreme" blade---I'd like a smooth blade, please. Oh wait- the ad execs say "smooth" is umm, like, umm, soooo like dated, dude....

Marty E.

"Extreme Fajitas"

Marty E.

Well put, sir! Bully, just bully!

I read in a biography of Gillette that he was the most recognized man on the planet because of that packaging. In some areas of the world where folks were too illiterate to read the words, they'd just ask for "Man's face" blades.

It would be nice to see King Gillette's image make a comeback now that P&G seems to be moving in to the high-end shaving market, but I doubt that anybody there has enough respect for the past to make a move like that.

I think the use of the word "Extreme" came in with this so called me generation. You know by the time they grew up everything cool had been done so to make something sexier they slapped extreme on it. It's the same as putting "New Improved" on a product that's been around forever and hadn't changed.

I guess "Extreme" has replaced "Turbo".

It's all over my head - I still listen through vacuum tubes!

Rob

It's a shame there are now a couple of generations that will never know the listening experience of a well tuned McIntosh tube amp and good quality vinyl lp's. The warmth and 3D sound can be stunning.

I love my old Fender tube guitar amps. Nothing modern can replicate those tones... Sometimes new ain't necessarily better...

Marty E.

It would be nice to see King Gillette's image make a comeback now that P&G seems to be moving in to the high-end shaving market, but I doubt that anybody there has enough respect for the past to make a move like that.

Respect and knowledge. Oh well, those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it...

His visage may be all but gone, but his spirit lives on in razor marketing.

Boy, ain't that the truth..

I wonder if our great-grandfathers groused about how expensive those God-Da@#ed DE blades for a Gillette NEW are. "They give you the handle dirt cheap and fleece us on the blades, Mabel"....

Capitalism...ain't it great??

Marty E.

Top Bottom