What's new

Has anyone used the Suehiro Kouseki 10K?

@Steve56 I had done these tests before with the Gokumyo 20k. I can't say that it was very successful in this regard, but I got acceptable edges. I find the surface feel to fail as feedback. A more successful piece as a final finisher as expected. Kouseki has a different surface. I'm more hopeful

WhatsApp Görsel 2023-03-25 saat 01.56.27.jpg

I just completed my first try with this stone. Normally I don't need any synthetic finishers. Synthetic stones such as Naniwa 12k, Suehiro Gokumyo 20k, Naniwa Fuji 8k, Snow White etc. are in my collection. In the past, I have also tried stones such as Shaptons, Kitayama, King etc. I also have many Jnats, Thuringens, and many coticules. And again I have finishing stones such as Arkansas, Slate stones (Welsh slates, La Lune, La Roccia, Turkish Slates etc). I'm sure many of our friends are like me. I know there is even more. I bought this stone because @JPO mentioned one stone honing. This can be done with many synthetics and stones, and I know it's not a miracle. I've tested it in the past, but there hasn't been a synthetic stone that can create an edge that really impresses me. ( for one stone honing) I created acceptable edges, but not much.

I had two razors. One is an old Sheffield. George Buttler. I think it's around 54hrc. Another is the old c100 Le Grelot. It is around 60hrc. I wanted to see how it would react on two different types of steel.

First of all, I started with Le Grelot. I like the hard way. ( Le Grelot's steel is harder than Sheffield's.) There are two synthetic cleaning stones that come with the Kouseki. The Japanese texts in the box say that these stones are for cleaning and flattening. I started with the coarse one first. The nagura, which is coarse, I think is for flattening. The particles are big enough to hit the edge when I slurry on the stone. I think it's aluminum oxide. My guess is around 300-400 grit. When I checked the edge with the Carson microscope, I saw that the chips started to edge. As for the other cleaning stone, it is a finer stone than the one that comes with the Cerax 1000 in my collection. I compare it with the stone that came with the Gokumyo 20k. (my gokumyo 20k stone is old production. In the past, a double-sided cleaning stone came with it. 1000/3000) it might be around 5k. When it comes to this stone, it absorbs water. So I recommend soaking it in water for 3-5 minutes. I wanted to create slurry directly, but when I saw that it absorbs the water on the stone and dries the surface, I soaked nagura stone it in water. It worked afterwards. The slurry of this stone works. It can be used as a nagura. . I controlled the edge by making only X strokes on the stone, making around 30 strokes. The edge was getting better. Continuing with the strokes, I recovered the edge of the coarse nagura with about 70 strokes. Then I cleaned the surface of the stone and continued with clean water. I was constantly checking the edge, there was no deterioration. After 30 strokes with clean water, I went underwater and finished the process by making 20 strokes under light running water. I didn't strop it (because it is late in Turkey and my children are sleeping :) ) , but it passed my HHT tests very comfortably without edge stropping. This was interesting. As for the Sheffield razor, I started directly with the fine nagura and completed a similar operation in a much shorter time. The edge I see under the microscope is not the 15k edge. But this is normal since I use a single stone. Edge scratches like 8-10k. But both razors pass HHT tests quickly without stropping. I'm hopeful for tomorrow's shave. In my next test drive, we'll do the synthetic progression.

My first impressions are positive. Shaving test will have the last word.

Last edited:
View attachment 1626446

I just completed my first try with this stone. Normally I don't need any synthetic finishers. Synthetic stones such as Naniwa 12k, Suehiro Gokumyo 20k, Naniwa Fuji 8k, Snow White etc. are in my collection. In the past, I have also tried stones such as Shaptons, Kitayama, King etc. I also have many Jnats, Thuringens, and many coticules. And again I have finishing stones such as Arkansas, Slate stones (Welsh slates, La Lune, La Roccia, Turkish Slates etc). I'm sure many of our friends are like me. I know there is even more. I bought this stone because @JPO mentioned one stone honing. This can be done with many synthetics and stones, and I know it's not a miracle. I've tested it in the past, but there hasn't been a synthetic stone that can create an edge that really impresses me. ( for one stone honing) I created acceptable edges, but not much.

I had two razors. One is an old Sheffield. George Buttler. I think it's around 54hrc. Another is the old c100 Le Grelot. It is around 60hrc. I wanted to see how it would react on two different types of steel.

First of all, I started with Le Grelot. I like the hard way. ( Le Grelot's steel is harder than Sheffield's.) There are two synthetic cleaning stones that come with the Kouseki. The Japanese texts in the box say that these stones are for cleaning and flattening. I started with the coarse one first. The nagura, which is coarse, I think is for flattening. The particles are big enough to hit the edge when I slurry on the stone. I think it's aluminum oxide. My guess is around 300-400 grit. When I checked the edge with the Carson microscope, I saw that the chips started to edge. As for the other cleaning stone, it is a finer stone than the one that comes with the Cerax 1000 in my collection. I compare it with the stone that came with the Gokumyo 20k. (my gokumyo 20k stone is old production. In the past, a double-sided cleaning stone came with it. 1000/3000) it might be around 5k. When it comes to this stone, it absorbs water. So I recommend soaking it in water for 3-5 minutes. I wanted to create slurry directly, but when I saw that it absorbs the water on the stone and dries the surface, I soaked nagura stone it in water. It worked afterwards. The slurry of this stone works. It can be used as a nagura. . I controlled the edge by making only X strokes on the stone, making around 30 strokes. The edge was getting better. Continuing with the strokes, I recovered the edge of the coarse nagura with about 70 strokes. Then I cleaned the surface of the stone and continued with clean water. I was constantly checking the edge, there was no deterioration. After 30 strokes with clean water, I went underwater and finished the process by making 20 strokes under light running water. I didn't strop it (because it is late in Turkey and my children are sleeping :) ) , but it passed my HHT tests very comfortably without edge stropping. This was interesting. As for the Sheffield razor, I started directly with the fine nagura and completed a similar operation in a much shorter time. The edge I see under the microscope is not the 15k edge. But this is normal since I use a single stone. Edge scratches like 8-10k. But both razors pass HHT tests quickly without stropping. I'm hopeful for tomorrow's shave. In my next test drive, we'll do the synthetic progression.

My first impressions are positive. Shaving test will have the last word.
Hope it works out for you.
I think the coarse dressing stone/nagura is only ment to be used as a surface conditioner/cleaner. I did not find any use for it.
I just use a diamond lapping plate for flattening before I start honing.
If the bevel is set, you only need to use the included fine nagura.
To me it makes sense to go from a 5-6 k stone to this. In my opinion it can negate the need for an 8k in a progression. It can probably do more, but I have not tested this.
When I typically rehone (not settling a bevel), I kill the edge on the corner of a soft stone, and use the 10k with slurry. I dilute to clear water. This is usually all it takes with this stone.

yes @JPO. Before all tests I flatten the stones with the Atoma 400 plate. And the bevel of the razors was previously created with Chosera 1k. I will add different variations in synthetic progression. By the way, as I mentioned in the review, the main stone is a magnesium oxide ceramic stone. Just splash and go. But the fine nagura is a soaking stone. It is a good idea to soak it in water before using it.

I agree with you. If the bevel is ready, it is not too difficult to end with this stone.

Shaving test was great. I prepared three razors. Le Grelot and George Buttler. Third, if I don't like the Kouseki edge, I'll use old Fritz Bracht Dovo. I finished Dovo with Naniwa 3-8k and La Lune. First pass wtg is fantastic. it had an extremely sharp and natural-feeling edge. In fact, lately, I've always used coticule. so I thought if my mind about sharpness was cheating me. When I used Dovo, which I finished with Pierre La Lune, I realized that I was not wrong. The Kouseki 10000 edge was extremely successful. The ATG transition was also extremely smooth and sharp. I like this stone. I will keep trying.

View attachment 1627331

I'm ready for the second test. this time we will visit Kouseki after Naniwa Chosera 1K+ SS 3-5-8K.
Hope this works well for you. I would not use any slurry, and only do a maximum of 10 strokes on the 10k in this with this setup.
This have worked really well for me. I did not get good results if I used slurry with this particular progression. I have tried the exact same stone progression.

@JPO I agree. I also tested it as a final finisher after synthetic stone. This stone certainly does mirror polish successfully. I finished using only clean water after Naniwa 8k. In my opinion, Kouseki is a more successful stone than Naniwa 12k. Kouseki is a more versatile stone than Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.If price is not important, I prefer Kouseki to Naniwa 12k. However, Naniwa 12k is still the synthetic finisher with the highest price performance ratio for me but as I said, if price doesn't matter, "The king is dead, long live the king!". For a synthetic stone, the feeling of natural stone at this level of sharpness is quite successful.

Last edited:
Well, my Kouseki arrived on Monday, and I had a chance to fool with it today.
The victim was an early Ralf Aust. A reliable shaver that takes a nice edge. Dulled on glass, 5K Chosera (Professional), 8K Snow White, 10K Kouseki. @ 25 light laps.
I have nothing scientific to report, and I have not shaved off it yet, but I have a pretty good feel for it. Jamie put the stone at about 14K.. I see nothing to argue with there. Others have noted it's lack of thirst, and propensity to build up swarf. I completely agree... And Steve noted the natural feel. Yes, the Kouseki feels great to hone on. and the other two points are certainly in it's favor.
So, I like it... not enamored with it because i have natural stones that will do the same thing. But, if you like shiny bevels... and I'm a sucker for that, and you're into synthetic stones, this could be the finisher you've been looking for. But, as in all aspects of life, you have to pays yer money and decide for yourself!

That said, it is a very nice synthetic.. IMHO..

Final decision on shaveability in today's SOTD..

hi, new here but have read through this entire thread with great interest.

New here and I have read through this entire thread with great interest. A ton of good information. I am trying to drill down on how to use this stone to maintain a razor in good condition, not resetting a bevel. An 8k snow white and this stone or a 8 or 10k Naniwa SS. I was thinking about using my 10k Naniwa and a black Arkansas. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Steve

hi, new here but have read through this entire thread with great interest.

New here and I have read through this entire thread with great interest. A ton of good information. I am trying to drill down on how to use this stone to maintain a razor in good condition, not resetting a bevel. An 8k snow white and this stone or a 8 or 10k Naniwa SS. I was thinking about using my 10k Naniwa and a black Arkansas. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Steve
This stone basically makes the 8k almost redundant. I have 8k stones, so I do use them. However, if I didn't have them I would not have a good reason to buy an 8k stone if I had this 10k.
It is perfect to use to maintain an already good edge. I could quite easily maintain all my razors by using this stone.

Thanks for the reply. I am likely going to order. Actually I am going to order one.

I just got a razor back from being professionally honed, finished in a Suehiro Gokumyo 20000. Shaved once and it was nice
but second shave was rough. I just stropped with canvas and leather before the shave. I did have a four day beard. My beard is medium in density but I believe corse. Usually shave every two days. I think I need to maintain with some or a stone to get a good non-stalling shave.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I am likely going to order. Actually I am going to order one.

I just got a razor back from being professionally honed, finished in a Suehiro Gokumyo 20000. Shaved once and it was nice
but second shave was rough. I just stropped with canvas and leather before the shave. I did have a four day beard. My beard is medium in density but I believe corse. Usually shave every two days. I think I need to maintain with some or a stone to get a good non-stalling shave.

Cheers,

Steve

Your 10k and Arkansas stone is plenty to maintain a razor. Now I can’t blame ya for just wanting another stone :)

Cheers,

Steve
Some canvas can be quite hard on delicate high grit finished edges. This will depend on the type of canvas, but they can also damage some edges if you are not careful.
I stropped a 0.1 micron cbn edge on linen yesterday. This edge really did not like that.
Jnat and coticule edges on the same razor does just fine with the same linen.
Lately I have skipped the linen with these types of edges. I just whipe it clean with toilet paper and strop on clean leather carefully.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I bought mine here:

I’ve bought from this store before and have been happy with the products and the experience. You can find it cheaper, but this price includes free express shipping - mine came FedEx in about 3-4 days after shipping.

I bought mine here:

I’ve bought from this store before and have been happy with the products and the experience. You can find it cheaper, but this price includes free express shipping - mine came FedEx in about 3-4 days after shipping.
Thanks, placed the order. Hopefully I can gain the skill required to put it to good use.

Steve

Top Bottom