What's new

Has anyone used the Suehiro Kouseki 10K?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think that you will find the Kouseki a little better in terms of edge feel. To be honest, at 12k or above, the difference in synth edges is not all that great to me, but Suehiro did an excellent job mimicking a natural stone feel with this one, and I am pleased with the edges from it - one shave and two razors into it.

It sounds like this stone will be a keeper. Mine should arrive from Japan soon. I can’t help but wonder about the other Maido 10k stone. Could the binder be that different that they would make another 10K stone so similar even in packaging? Would the magnesia binder improve the feel that much? I know people really like the feel of the Snow white and it has that style binder.

Yes, for my good self, there is no question that it will be a "keeper.." Whether it will earn that position or not is yet to be determined. But, from initial reports, it doesn't swarf up as much as somer other synthetics, so that in itself is a vote in it's favor.

BTW, I run the shave related equivalent of the "Roach Motel..."

Items check in, but they don't check out!

My stone arrived today. I will test it tonight.

FD203C5E-E798-4E36-8266-4E5A8D54DAE4.jpeg
33D517BF-4AA6-4433-AA25-742CBBACA5C2.jpeg

Steve56

I did a comparison with a good JNat with the same raxor over 2 days, and the KNat is a bit sharper and smoother, but if you weren’t experienced with SR edges you might not notice the difference. And if you don’t want to go to the time and expense of finding good JNats and coticules, it’s certainly a viable alternative. It’s also a decent upgrade over the Naniwa 12k, though it does cost twice as much.

If one were to be wanting to get a higher grit stone which stone is preferred, this or the Shapton Glass Stone 7 - 30000?

Steve56

Rick, I’d probably go with the Suehiro Gokumyo 20k. The Suehiro is 0.49u and the Shapton Glass is 0.50u. The Suehiro can be had cheaper and will last longer. In the G7 series, Shapton recommends the 0.85u for razor finishing. I have both G7 stones, the 0.85u and the 0.44u and honestly can’t tell much difference. Sent you a PM.

Reactions: Wid
WhatsApp Görsel 2023-03-23 saat 22.41.28.jpg

Since I am tired today, I will start the tests tomorrow or on the weekend. Gokumyo 20k's box was already big. Kouseki is even bigger. The surface feedback of the stones looks different.

@Steve56 Thanks Steve. What's your progress on your last test? Did you use Jnats with asano naguras or after synthetic stone? What stones did you use before Kouseki? Have you tried using the Kouseki as a honzan stone and sharpening it with the synthetic naguras that came from the box?

If one were to be wanting to get a higher grit stone which stone is preferred, this or the Shapton Glass Stone 7 - 30000?
These shapton g7 stones cut fast at every level. The 0.85 micron is quite qood. I prefer this over the 0.45 g7.

I have been using the Shapton pro 30k for a while now. This polishes better, and feels better then the equivalent glass stone. I keep going back to this, because it gives a smoother edge then the glass stones.
It is hard, but has a soft feedback.

Steve56

What's your progress on your last test?

These were edges with one shave on them, so I refreshed one with koma slurry on the Kouseki, then clear water on the Kouseki. The other was just JNat slurry on JNat.

Did you use Jnats with asano naguras or after synthetic stone?

Just tomo nagura slurry, the edge only had one shave on it.

What stones did you use before Kouseki?

In my initial tests, Shapton Glass 4k HR and Shapton Glass 8k HC. Any good 8k will work as a pre-finisher for the Kouseki. How many stones that you use in progression before any finisher will depend on the condition of the edge.

Have you tried using the Kouseki as a honzan stone and sharpening it with the synthetic naguras that came from the box?

Yes, see post #60. I have not tried the green nagura yet.

Hope that this helps! Keep us posted on your trials please sir.

Steve56

I have been using the Shapton pro 30k for a while now. This polishes better, and feels better then the equivalent glass stone. I keep going back to this, because it gives a smoother edge then the glass stones.
It is hard, but has a soft feedback.

John, have you used the Suehiro Gokumyo 20k? If so, how does it compare to the Shapton Pro 30k?

Cheers,

Steve

@Steve56 I actually meant one stone honing. i.e. Have you tried using naguras directly, starting with Kouseki and ending with Kouseki, without using synthetic stones or any other stone?

@Steve56 I actually meant one stone honing. i.e. Have you tried using naguras directly, starting with Kouseki and ending with Kouseki, without using synthetic stones or any other stone?
That is what it was designed for in my opinion. I would not set a bevel, but you can easily cover the midrange and finshing by using the included nagura. You can even use a natural nagura.

Steve56

I agree with John, but this isn’t something special about the Kouseki, you can use Mikawas and other slurry stones on any hard synth. The Gokumyo series would probably be my choice for a nagura progression.

I’ve been thinking about a K10 vs G20 test, and maybe a nagura progression on the G20 would make an interesting thread.

Interesting to read about this kouseki stone, I also am intrigued by the comments around natural naguras being used with success.

Does anyone have thoughts or experience in the different Suehiro ranges?
I see as example in the 10000- there is this kouseki, the Gokumyo and the more expensive Maido.
kouseki references hairdresser blades, while the Maido references similarity to natural edges.

I agree with John, but this isn’t something special about the Kouseki, you can use Mikawas and other slurry stones on any hard synth. The Gokumyo series would probably be my choice for a nagura progression.

I’ve been thinking about a K10 vs G20 test, and maybe a nagura progression on the G20 would make an interesting thread.
This k10 vs G20 sounds interesting to me, I have not tried either myself, I’ve thought of how I would fit a new stone in. please do so

Top Bottom