What's new

Has anyone used the Suehiro Kouseki 10K?

Hello I was just wondering if anyone had tried the Suehiro Kouseki 10k. There are a few comments in other places that it has enough range to cover both an 8k and 12k stones. Is there any advantage to using this to replace say a Naniwa 8k and 12k setup because cost wise they are about the same.

Heck while I’m at it what about the Naniwa diamond 10k? Likely to produce a relately harsh edge like diamond pasted strops?

This is a fantastic stone. It feels as good as the Naniwa 8k snow white, and finhishes finer, or as fine as a 12 SS. It is rated at 1 micron. It is much harder then the SS 12, so it will create less convexity.
It also works well with the included nagura. This nagura is not just a cut off from the same stone. It is designed to work with straight razors.

It is also super fast. If it is used with slurry you can easily go from a 1k bevel set to finish.

If I'm not mistaken it works like jnats. Has anyone tried one stone honing using the naguras that came with it?

If I'm not mistaken it works like jnats. Has anyone tried one stone honing using the naguras that came with it?
Yes. It actually has some of the same feel as honing on a quality jnat.
The binder in this stone does not tear up the apex of the edge, as most synthetic stones do.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I will have to order one on ebay.
Suehiro has another specialized 10K stone called maido. It has even less info and availability. It is magnesia based so I would guess more similar to Naniwa stones?

I have not used the 10K stone, but would be interested to hear how it fares up against the Naniwa 12K? although I have just replaced my Snow White 8K with a Suehiro W & G Series #8000 for professional use, I got the W 8 series as this performs differently to the G 8 series stone.

I have not used the 10K stone, but would be interested to hear how it fares up against the Naniwa 12K? although I have just replaced my Snow White 8K with a Suehiro W & G Series #8000 for professional use, I got the W 8 series as this performs differently to the G 8 series stone.

The Suehiro Kouseki 10k is in a class of it's own in my opinion. It is rated to 1 micron, which is quite close to the SS 12k.
It is harder, but still feels quite soft, comparable to the Snow White 8k in feel.
I have the SS12k. It is not used at all anymore.

The Suehiro Kouseki 10k is in a class of it's own in my opinion. It is rated to 1 micron, which is quite close to the SS 12k.
It is harder, but still feels quite soft, comparable to the Snow White 8k in feel.
I have the SS12k. It is not used at all anymore.

By all accounts, Suehiro underate their stones, I have heard the 10K is more like a 15K stone, have you looked and compared the scratch striations off the Suehiro compared to the Naniwa 12K?

By all accounts, Suehiro underate their stones, I have heard the 10K is more like a 15K stone, have you looked and compared the scratch striations off the Suehiro compared to the Naniwa 12K?
I have tried to compare the striations, but at this refinement level it is quite difficult.
What I can see is that the Suehiro crates less apex convexity.
Hard stones, with the same particle size will generally have a higher finishing potential.
If the included slurry stone, or even a natural nagura is used this will also polish the stone surface, and make the stone cut finer.
The SS 12k is a little too soft in my opinion, especially if I am honing heavier blades. Just the weight of the razor seem to be enough to round the apex too much.

I have tried to compare the striations, but at this refinement level it is quite difficult.
What I can see is that the Suehiro crates less apex convexity.
Hard stones, with the same particle size will generally have a higher finishing potential.
If the included slurry stone, or even a natural nagura is used this will also polish the stone surface, and make the stone cut finer.
The SS 12k is a little too soft in my opinion, especially if I am honing heavier blades. Just the weight of the razor seem to be enough to round the apex too much.
Thank you for the useful information, I'll probably take a look at that stone for sure as it has always been on my radar.

Reactions: JPO
“There are a few comments in other places that it has enough range to cover both an 8k and 12k stones. Is there any advantage to using this to replace say a Naniwa 8k and 12k setup because cost wise they are about the same".

So, it depends on if you will be shaving off the 10k edge. You can make a jump from most 8k to a Natural edge easily and do not need a 10 or 12k.

The 10k should easily make the jump from a mid-grit stone to finish, as the 12k super stone can. The Super Stone’s range is so wide it can be a one stone solution, bevel set and finish in capable hands. You do need to lap off the swarf from the 12k super stone, and especially at finish. The swarf will damage an edge if not removed.

The Suehiro line seems to be the cutting edge for razor hones, right now. I have been moving to them.

Still prefer to finish on naturals from a 6 or 8k edge.

“There are a few comments in other places that it has enough range to cover both an 8k and 12k stones. Is there any advantage to using this to replace say a Naniwa 8k and 12k setup because cost wise they are about the same".

So, it depends on if you will be shaving off the 10k edge. You can make a jump from most 8k to a Natural edge easily and do not need a 10 or 12k.

The 10k should easily make the jump from a mid-grit stone to finish, as the 12k super stone can. The Super Stone’s range is so wide it can be a one stone solution, bevel set and finish in capable hands. You do need to lap off the swarf from the 12k super stone, and especially at finish. The swarf will damage an edge if not removed.

The Suehiro line seems to be the cutting edge for razor hones, right now. I have been moving to them.

Still prefer to finish on naturals from a 6 or 8k edge.

When you consider The Suehiro Kouseki 10k is a 1-micron particle size that in itself is the equivalent to a 14000 grit, so I would say from a personal point of view I would use the 8K then finish on the 10K it just makes more sense.

If you use something like a Shapton the way Robert is using this stone, the binder will just tear up your apex. This does not happen with this stone. This is one reason it is so good. If you generate diamond slurry, you can probably go from a 1k to finishing with one stone.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Which Shapton? Pro, Glass HR, or Glass HC? What’s he doing that would be bad for the edge?

I shall reserve my opinion until I have honed a few razors with that stone that's already on its way, I heard good things about the Naniwa Gouken Kagayaki saying it was better than the old Naniwa Super Stones, well I can categorically say after using both those stones there is absolutely no difference, I'm optimistic so we shall see.

“I shall reserve my opinion until I have honed a few razors with that stone that's already on its way,”

Me too, have one inbound.

“ My point was that most synthetic stones in the higher grit range don't work particularly well with slurry,”

I have found nicer edges on a clean no slurry stone. Just lightly joint the finished edge and do a handful of laps, (10-20) on a clean, water only stone face.

Steve56

Me three.

I don’t use slurry on synths. Typically slurry is used to make a stone cut faster. Shapton Glass HR and the Gok 20k don’t need to cut faster. Are there other benefits to slurry on synths that I’m missing?

Me three.

I don’t use slurry on synths. Typically slurry is used to make a stone cut faster. Shapton Glass HR and the Gok 20k don’t need to cut faster. Are there other benefits to slurry on synths that I’m missing?
I have allot of stones, so I prefer just to use smaller grit jumps and not use any slurry on synthetic stones. Slurry can however add some range and keep the stone from loading up.

Steve56

FYI, Sakimoto-san, the Asano fellow, frequently uses Mikawa slurry on synths. I’ve tried that and it does provide some lubrication. and seems much finer than slurry generated by a diamond plate. If you have a Mikawa mejiro or koma laying around, give it a whirl.

Top Bottom