What's new

Has anyone used a resin-based diamond stone to flatten a natural stone?

Has anyone used a resin-based diamond stone to flatten or generate slurry on a natural stone?

We’re talking the Japanese-type with the top 2mm being resin imbedded with diamond. I can pick up a 3K grit version for about $35 in 8x3 format. I’m just concerned that the resin might imbed into the stone and gum it up or it might shed diamond particles which will be a problem later.

Has anyone used a resin-based diamond stone to flatten or generate slurry on a natural stone?

We’re talking the Japanese-type with the top 2mm being resin imbedded with diamond. I can pick up a 3K grit version for about $35 in 8x3 format. I’m just concerned that the resin might imbed into the stone and gum it up or it might shed diamond particles which will be a problem later.
This will not work particularly well. I use a natural nagura to clean my vetrified diamond plates. The slurry will release some of the resin and diamonds.

No, really don't see much reason and there are a few reasons not to actually.
But I have used a synth GC stone to level a Nani 1k diamond stone.

I ended up picking up the diamond plate along with this small-size Naniwa IR-1000.
1F1F8FD3-5989-4FFC-B539-6F34C88FE80F.jpeg

This little guy is a gem for cleaning rougher stones. I have a Sigma Power ceramic 1000 and this cleaned it up quickly. It is soft and friable, the grit seems more like 700 than a 1000 though. It only cost ¥450.

The diamond plate is a mixed bag. I thought it was resin-based but after buying it, it seems more like it is diamonds imbedded into a laminate and the laminate is then glued to a base.
CE094527-5352-444F-A8B0-213AC11C7F97.jpeg

It seemed to work well with one of my JNATS so I tried it with my Nakayama Asagi Maruka which is pretty darn hard.

000A89B7-081B-4283-B651-6F27BE4356E6.jpeg

With the Nakayama it did do a good job of raising a slurry but it also felt like a few diamonds were rolling around underneath the razor when sharpening. Time will tell if that is the case and also if it can continue to raise a slurry meaning that it hasn’t given up the ghost prematurely. It was ¥4,200 so not a big gamble if it craps out.

Top Bottom