What's new

Has anyone tried the new LA Shaving Soap Co aftershaves?

It seems like the formulation is the same as the Chiseled Face splashes since Ron took over the LASSC production/distribution, but I read a review on another site that made it sound like they might be a little more menthol-y than the Chiseled Face AS's.
Any chance that anyone has tried both and would be able to offer a comparison of the menthol levels?

I'm checking with WCS and plan to stop by when they have them in and looking to get a sample or two. Love LASS scents and have always loved the soaps. Tried CF splashes in the past and felt they were a bit strong for my taste. Found myself diluting with unscented witch hazel. Hoping LASS has the same scent profiles as the soaps, but a bit milder.

I'm checking with WCS and plan to stop by when they have them in and looking to get a sample or two. Love LASS scents and have always loved the soaps. Tried CF splashes in the past and felt they were a bit strong for my taste. Found myself diluting with unscented witch hazel. Hoping LASS has the same scent profiles as the soaps, but a bit milder.

The Groomatorium (where they make and sell Chiseled Face and LASSCo) is not really too far from WCS. You could always swing by there.

Interested in this as well. I love their Blackfern and Black Rose soaps, but have heard very little on the aftershaves. I actually prefer an aftershave that lingers. Not necessarily a strong or overpowering scent, but something I can smell on myself throughout the workday.

Okay...I caved...just ordered Blackfern and Black Rose aftershave from Maggard. I'll report back once I've tried them. I really love these scents, and just hope that combining the soap and aftershave will allow me to smell it a little throughout the day. I'm sure I'll also get the wife's opinion after she chastises me for yet another senseless shaving purchase :001_rolle

Okay...I caved...just ordered Blackfern and Black Rose aftershave from Maggard. I'll report back once I've tried them. I really love these scents, and just hope that combining the soap and aftershave will allow me to smell it a little throughout the day. I'm sure I'll also get the wife's opinion after she chastises me for yet another senseless shaving purchase :001_rolle
Awesome, those were two that I was interested in as well when originally posting the thread. Looking forward to seeing what you think of them.

Awesome, those were two that I was interested in as well when originally posting the thread. Looking forward to seeing what you think of them.
Cool. I was about to start the same type of thread, but decided to do one last search and found yours :001_302:. I like those scents, so I figured I’ve got nothing to lose...too strong and I’ll cut it with WH, too weak and I’ll just over-apply! I don’t really love the smell of most of the AS “staples” I’ve tried so far. Some are okay, just not something I want to smell all day. The only 2 I really like are matched to soap scents that I love...and I’m sure with LASS ingredients, it will be just fine on the skin as well. We shall see.

I had a my first good splash of a LASSCo aftershave yesterday. I adored the scent of Topanga Fougere from a sample I tried a few years ago. So when Groomatorium announced that it was producing an aftershave version of it, I did what any respectable member in my shoes would do - I bought 2 bottles.

Performance-wise, it's great. I've always been a fan of Chiseled Face products and think that their aftershaves do a great job of healing and smoothing my face. The Topanga seems to work in the same way. I don't recall any menthol blast from it, so (to answer @jesseix's question) I don't think that this one is more menthol-y than other CF splashes.

The scent seems different than I remember about the soap sample that I tried. It seemed very pine-y (probably the balsam note that is in the scent description) and had a hint of citrus at one point or another. It did not seem as "fougere-like" as I remember. Pretty good projection - because my family is not big on scent, I'll probably cut it with CF natural splash. The scent lasted for an hour or two. I think I like it, but I'm not positive, so I'm going to try it out a few more times before making a final judgment.

Okay, got my shipment from Maggard yesterday. Both scents (Blackfern, Black Rose) smell much stronger/harsher out of the bottle.
I shaved with Blackfern today and used a moderate amount (by my heavy-handed standards) of the splash. I immediately realized why the soap has such a light, background scent and started having buyer’s remorse. The strength of the aftershave out of the bottle caused the usual green scent of the soap to seem very biting, acid, and strong...the proverbial “too much of a good thing.” Still the same scent, just on overdrive. HOWEVER...after about 30 minutes, it started to mellow, eventually settling in to a very slightly stronger version of the normal scent of the soap that I love! It continued to mellow a little, but lasted almost all day for me (I’d say 7 hours or so), and I think this is going to be a keeper. The menthol was not overpowering, but noticeable. I do, however, love menthol, so my scale may be different than yours. Just fine on the skin overall.
I’ll play around with both of these some more next week and report back, but my initial impression of Blackfern after one day is pretty good.

If anyone is still interested, IMO these scents are pretty spot-on to the soaps. I don’t notice any discernible difference other than the strength when first applied. Like me, you may find that you don’t like the scents nearly as much at high-strength levels, but you can adjust amounts or just wait for the scent to mellow on your skin, and it will smell like you just shaved with the soap for most of the day. I personally prefer the Blackfern scent for an all-day whiff, but Black Rose is just fine as well. Though I’m not super-sensitive to aftershaves, I will say that these perform as well as my WSP splashes, and I think they are all a step above the common drugstore products and others I have tried so far.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks for the review. I checked out their site. Very interesting but based on the scent descriptions I'm not sure about these yet.

Top Bottom