What's new

Has anyone tried The Goodfellas' Smile Wild Hod brush?

Even though I've just bought a Mondial an Omega 50014 I seem to always be on the look out for my next brush and came across The Wild Hog from The Goodfellas' Smile. Spec wise it looks identical to the Proraso Omega apart from a different handle and the Goodfellas' is cheaper. Its listed as "Made in Italy by Omega, Knot: 27mm, Handle: 63mm, Bristle: 57mm Weight: 72 grams". Has anyone tried this brush, or know if there is anything different between it and the Proraso Omega other than the handle and price?

1594200671405.png

Reactions: CCR
I have both the Proraso and the Goodfellas. Probably the same as Omega 10049, they are very good brushes. The Proraso was approx €12 and the Goodfellas approx €6,50.

I have both the Proraso and the Goodfellas. Probably the same as Omega 10049, they are very good brushes. The Proraso was approx €12 and the Goodfellas approx €6,50.

Sir, the 10049 has a taller loft than the Proraso. The 10048 has an even taller loft than the 10049. They are all similar, but I prefer the Proraso loft as it gives a better backbone and scrub

Sir, the 10049 has a taller loft than the Proraso. The 10048 has an even taller loft than the 10049. They are all similar, but I prefer the Proraso loft as it gives a better backbone and scrub

Thanks for confirming the Proraso and Goodfellas' are the same, I have a 49 and like it, however, I sometimes think it can be a bit floppy due to the loft. I have always heard good things about the Proraso but don't personnally like the plastic metal effect hand. Looks I'll be adding the Goodfellas' to my "to buy list".

I bought the Wild Hog a while ago because (at the time) I didn't care for the handle of the Proraso Pro. I didn't mind plastic and I didn't mind chrome, but I didn't care for plastic handles made to look like chrome. I think/hope I've matured a little since then and now choose my boar brushes based on the reputation of the manufacturer, the knot being within my preferred size of 24-27mm, the loft being within my preferred height of 55-60mm, and the handle being comfortable in my hand.

I plan to start using the Wild Hog next month... and I have a Proraso Pro in my shopping cart. I've told myself they are different because the knot of the Wild Hog is described as a hybrid 3/4 fan and 1/4 bulb which is enough of a case of "same but different" for me to have both :)

I couldn't wait until August... I used the Wild Hog for the first time today. I palm-lathered it yesterday and then took advantage of our 100 degree temperature to allow it to dry on the patio. I let it soak for about fifteen minutes this morning and had planned to bowl-lather in anticipation of stiff bristles. To my surprise the brush felt just as soft as many of my other boars which have all been lathered at least a dozen times. I was able to face-lather using both painting and circular strokes with no irritation. I really like this brush! I may still buy the Proraso Pro someday just to satisfy my curiosity, but there's no rush because the Wild Hog is definitely here to stay.

I also own both the 10049 and the 011842. They are both fine brushes (IMO), but I find the loft of the 10049 just a little to high and the 011842 just a little too low; the Wild Hog and Proraso Pro are right in the middle with the same knot diameter which is perfect for me. I would buy at least three of them if the handle was made of wood, metal, or resin. As it is, I plan to eventually own at least two :)

Last edited:
I have the Proraso, and will soon buy the Wild Hog, as I am very much interested in comparing the two models, especially since they seem to be the same legth. Will report my observations.

I have the Proraso, and will soon buy the Wild Hog, as I am very much interested in comparing the two models, especially since they seem to be the same legth. Will report my observations.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts. I picked up a Wild Hog and find it soft but it feels very floppy.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts. I picked up a Wild Hog and find it soft but it feels very floppy.
I ordered it a few hours ago. Also the discontinued Shave Factory brush that looks quite similar. I cross my fingers for a confirmation they really have it.

It is available in more than 20 online stores. But most (if not all) of them are in Europe. Maybe some of the US members know a source in the States.

I got the answer from the store. My order contains both the Wild Hog and the red Shave Factory brush by Omega. The package has been shipped. I don't think it is going to take long since it is from a neighbour country

Thanks for confirming the Proraso and Goodfellas' are the same, I have a 49 and like it, however, I sometimes think it can be a bit floppy due to the loft. I have always heard good things about the Proraso but don't personnally like the plastic metal effect hand. Looks I'll be adding the Goodfellas' to my "to buy list".
I believe the Proraso is 28/65 and the Wild Hog 27/57.

One being a 10049 with a shortened loft and the Hog being a 10083 with a shortened loft. Can anybody with both confirm or deny?

Top Bottom