What's new

Has anyone successfully cured their acquisition disorders?

After many years, and many fruitless purchases, I think I am at a point where I have killed off all of my acquisition disorders.

I have a few razors, two creams, one soap, and a few aftershaves.

I have a shortlist of three products I want to try at some point in the future, but I can wait to get through a bit more of the product I have. Two aftershaves, and one razor. No rush whatsoever.

I am generally extremely happy with the products I currently use. I am getting the closest, most comfortable shaves of my life, with zero razor burn or irritation.

Honestly I never thought I'd get to such a place. Is there a possibility that some untried product will work better for me than what I currently use? It's a near-certainty. But it's also a near-certainty that I'd have to shell out hundreds, or thousands, of dollars for a marginal improvement at best. Not worth it.
I have. I feel like Ive tried pretty much everything that is out there, I know what I like and feel no need to try everything anymore. Ive kind of come to the conclusion that a brush is a brush and soap is soap, its all what scent you like.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am getting very close now. Getting a Paladin cured my BAD. I have gotten one Rudy Vey manchurian recently, and that does it for badgers. I am done with boars for good I think. Keeping a B&B boar and that's it. I may buy another synth at some point. But I have some awesome synths now. Charcoal goods and Wolfman have cured my Rad. And I have enough blades, soaps and splashes to last decades. I'm close.

Congrats on killing off your acquisition disorders. Nice to find a happy space to just enjoy what you like and not chase.

I ebb and flow. Four or six months buying nothing, to buying several years supply in a week.

My razor acquisition is reduced and not so interested in the newest. My Wolfie, Charcoals, Executive Fatboy, and Brit ‘Crat serve me well. Similar with brushes. I have some great ones, a Brad Sears beehive butterscotch, Grizzly Bay, Rudy Vey, Declaration. And, a few years of soaps.

I’ve realized I enjoy variety of trying new things, but have realized I don’t use what I love often enough.

Enjoy the journey, love what you love. I think this is a great hobby that can be rewarding, create friendships, and add some luxury to each day.

This is a pastime that gives enjoyment to some. To others, it's merely a daily necessity. This wonderful pastime has allowed me to make the acquaintance of some exceptional people I now consider friends. My AD's might temporarily be getting under control, but my desire to interact with these like-minded friends will not be abated.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have a lot more shave gear than I need; nearing the 0.005% mark on the stuff that interests me; and lacks in storage space, time, money coupled with the notion that technique is almost infinitely more important than equipment help me fool myself and let me pretend I’m done.

I feel pretty content with hardware. I ordered a new soap for the first time in many months yesterday. My software buying comes and goes in phases but I’m pretty content with my current stash. I’ve been on these forums less lately which probably also helps avoid temptation.

I'm getting very good results with my current kit, so there is no urgent whipping-up of conventional ADs. On the other hand, "backup disorder" is a real thing here.

Having found any product that works properly (not just shaving ones), I've noticed that they very often get discontinued, so I already bought a lavish supply of Astra SP, just in case. Blade backup done.

I'm a fan of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap (MWF), so the Tabac reformulation debacle is giving me a raging case of "favourite soap backup disorder".

Mostly, yeah.
I haven't bought a razor since I bought my gen 1 Tradere OC and Tradere SB.
I haven't bought a brush since I bought my second Wee Scot (first one wasn't recoverable after an apartment fire in a building with asbestos).
I haven't bought a new soap since I settled on Tabac and La Toja. Though may branch out some more if the new Tabac formula doesn't live up to my demands.

Only thing I've done much exploring with in the last 5-8 years is blades, and I largely only experiment with that I get as free samples when ordering new soap, hehe.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yes, yes I have. Now I acquire my shaving things without attachment. I really hope my current order is delivered today. There have been a lot of delays with USPS. The shipment went from Michigan to the East Coast before heading west. :cursing:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am very close, but I fear it's not possible to actually kill the beast, only stun it into submission for a time.

I'm set on my razor, blade, WH and balm/moisturizer. I'm set on my main soap.

I thought I was set on my travel gear, but I replaced both the brush and the razor this past year, which puts a slight dent in my confidence to insist I am now set. The brush is a synthetic, and I expect there will be improvements in the "hair" over the next few years.

I can use my favorite soap most days, but I occasionally like a change. For a few years the alternative was WK Pasha's Pride, and it serves the purpose well. But I read one too many posts about SV and put it on my Christmas list. Now things are more murky. And if I read 10,000 posts singing the praises of a new soap down the road there is absolutely no assurance I won't be sucked into the vortex of becoming the 10,001st user.

Brushes are more seductive. I have about 20 at the moment. I use about 6 (3 with regularity), so I obviously don't need another. But who knows the future . . .

My AD started many years, well before I first joined B&B, and I accumulated a ton of safety and straight razors just for fun, out of curiosity. I actually found B&B looking for information on some of the vintage/antique razors I had bought. Then I went into a 7 year remission, and started to use up much of the software I had acquired. As others have said, shaving gear has been far from the most expensive of my interests.

When the pandemic hit, it jolted the ADs back to life. Sheltering at home rekindled my interest in shaving stuff and a year or so later it's still going, albeit slowing. My AD has seriously helped pass the sheltering time; the shaving market had changed so much I felt like a newbie again. It's still fun and I've been buying and trying lots of lower-cost brushes lately just for kicks. And, I have tried a few new razors; found the Occam's razor so it was worthwhile. I'm confident in the near future my ADs will slide back into remission; I can already feel it happening. I've been digging through my large stash of stuff and finding things I have to try again, and deciding how to sort and start downsizing my collection.

This is a pastime that gives enjoyment to some. To others, it's merely a daily necessity. This wonderful pastime has allowed me to make the acquaintance of some exceptional people I now consider friends. My AD's might temporarily be getting under control, but my desire to interact with these like-minded friends will not be abated.

Pretty perfect Sir ! My thoughts exactly ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have had a crazy time since Buying my first DE. Its been over a year and I have so many nice razors. Over 50 sets soaps/splashes. In the beginning I was finding out about all these razors and soaps. Buy buy buy lol. to be fair I am very proud of what I have acquired. Razors like the carbon, RS-10. taiga and rocnel sailors have turned out to be such great shavers. Now I have my technique down better I feel my RAD has calmed down a bit.

I still really want a tatara Maramusa though.

Top Bottom