What's new

Has Anyone Shaved Like This?

When I go against the grain with either Mach 3 or my Merkur LC I do longer strokes on the cheaks and right above the neck and under my chin. The sides of my neck are done with smaller strokes since my skin is more sensitive in those areas.

I must say that my shaving strokes were never so quick/fast as in this video or the video that you created Mark. I always use rather slow to medium speed strokes (these strokes are in my opinion rather fast) but not because it doesn't work; I simply never done it that quick.

This is of course purely an ad for the AOS products but I think that you can have approx the same effect if you shave, clean and rinse your face wisely with decent products. However this is just speculation so YMMV.

I shave like that, without the Mach3 and that smug look of self satisfaction when I look in the mirror though. Nothing intelligent to add about why I shave like that however.

Alex,

Do you shave that quick as well with a DE? I don't do that because a) was never used to shaving that quick and b) I still have to learn proper technique for handling my DE.

I assume that time will bring experience and therefore also shaving speed gains.

When I started out I was much more cautious and consequently much slower, but with a slick soap and using the longer stroke I found that the speed of the shave sort of developed on its own.
Nowadays I mainly use an Ever Ready SE or a Featherjector, and I find that these shave much more quickly anyway.

Back when I used a Mach3 I would use long strokes like that, but here's my question about the video:

Has anyone ever gone through their entire shaving routine in 3:30 minutes? Even with only two passes that seems pretty quick. I figured from the beginning that that clock in the bottom right would be crap, but I can't believe they claim he did two passes in just one minute.

Heck it takes 3 minutes for water to get hot for the towel and to soak the brush. Then another minute or so to put pre shave cream and another to work the lather, about five to 8 for the first pass x2 plus touch up, moisturizing and after shave. If I did my entire routine in 3:30 minutes I would be posting this from the ICU at the local hospital. My routine is at about 20 to 25 minutes. Any faster and I will bleed and burn for a long while.

BTW Mark the videos are great!!

Rafael

AJS said:
When I started out I was much more cautious and consequently much slower, but with a slick soap and using the longer stroke I found that the speed of the shave sort of developed on its own.
Nowadays I mainly use an Ever Ready SE or a Featherjector, and I find that these shave much more quickly anyway.

I'm just getting the hang of my GEM and have an Ever-Ready to try as well, but my type G1 injector with a Pella blade is (for me) the fastest non-cartridge shaving tool - the upside is that it shaves as close as any of my DEs. If you're looking for a quick shave and don't want to go to a cartridge, try an injector or GEM/Ever-Ready.

mantic said:
I noticed that too. I'm skeptical, to say the least. :confused:

--Mark

No way, takes me that long to build and apply later - I noticed the later on the clip seemed quite dry and he didn't add water, besides soaking the brush. He also used a fair bit of cream, at least 2x what I normally use.

AJS said:
I shave like that, without the Mach3 and that smug look of self satisfaction when I look in the mirror though. Nothing intelligent to add about why I shave like that however.

Me too. I however, keep the smug look.:closedeye

3:30 to shave- not in this lifetime! My water is still heating in the microwave at that point.

Normally my shave experience takes a minimum of 30 minutes- sometimes more, not often less.

Marty

Suzuki said:
He also used a fair bit of cream, at least 2x what I normally use.
Agreed, that's what surprised me the most. I'll try tomorrow to use the same amount of cream and will lather it up directly on my face.

Lyrt said:
Agreed, that's what surprised me the most. I'll try tomorrow to use the same amount of cream and will lather it up directly on my face.

I meant 2x what I use to lather on my face.

The only reason to use that much cream is to go through your tub of cream faster - something likely not lost on the AOS folks.

I have two bottles of pre-shave oil (AoS and Anthony Logistics) that I've never used.

I may give one of them a whirl tomorrow just for the hell of it.

Suzuki said:
The only reason to use that much cream is to go through your tub of cream faster - something likely not lost on the AOS folks.
For the first time I tried to lather on my face my Salter Rose, which I'm not afraid to squander since I find its smell so repulsive, and I must say it was great. Expensive but comfortable. I won't do that with my other creams.

Top Bottom