What's new

Has anyone seen a Joseph Stones & Son razor from Sheffield?

I've been picking up a number of razors from flee markets and antique shops, refinishing them and using them. Yesterday I picked-up this 65 gram wedge with an ivory handle. Its labelled Joseph Stones and Son, Sheffield and I'm trying to figure out its age. I haven't found any mention of the manufacturer in any of the Sheffield listings. It shows almost no wear and my inclination is to sharpen it up and use it. Any input would be welcomed.
IMG_7956.JPG
IMG_7953.JPG
IMG_7954.JPG

Nothing listed in my small printed reference collection for the maker, sorry.

The look of the razor fits 1830-40 style: lead wedge, blade profile, scales shape, the shank and a more refined tang than an earlier stub-tail fit the timeframe.

Very nice razor, lovely patina too, enjoy!

I won’t discount the ivory claim based on a pic, but that’s a lot of flex in show side scale. Even if they’re bone scales, that’s a fine looking razor and you’ve done well.

Very nice and the tang and no country listed would lead me to thinking after 1835 and before 1890. I have bone scales the same color. Wish I could find more information, but you have a rare one. Congratulations.

Thanks to Twelvefret & KW Driver for the information. Being completely new to this, I'll admit that the it didn't occur to me that it would be bone. I've now read a bit more, plus put it under a magnifying glass and realized that a couple of my blades have ivory scales and that the lines in them are much finer than this one, and yet there are lines on the end farthest from the pivot pin.
Handle2.JPG
Handle1.JPG

Top Bottom