What's new

Has anyone here build a shaving cabinet or similar? looking for inspiration

After spending way too much time looking for cabinets/shelves/racks etc online and nothing finding anything because it doesn't fit, it's too ugly or it's too expensive i have been thinking of making my own cabinet to house a moderate amount of shaving stuff.

Has anyone done the same? what creative things have you thought up to make the best out of the space and done things that aren't possible with generic furniture ?

For me aesthetics is very important, i'm sure i could do something cheap and easy that will work fine for decades but i want it all to look vintage, be perfect and be cheap at the same time 🤣
This is how far i've gotten with my design, it's 45cm/18" wide, 65cm/25" high and 18cm/7" deep.
The rails carrying the shelves slide in a groove and there will be holes in the groove were i can insert brass pins to adjust the height.
i haven't started thinking about slots for razors and brushes yet.

badkamerkastje_2023-May-12_09-07-36PM-000_CustomizedView32766380975.png

A close up of the flare tip because i spent way too much time on modeling that just or the sake of having some sense of scale while working on the cabinet 😅
badkamerkastje_2023-May-12_09-22-22PM-000_CustomizedView18356383863.png

That's very nice.

I started with an old CD rack my neighbor was disposing of. That worked for a while, but then it got to be too small. So, I took over the inside and top of the medicine cabinet. Now that is getting too small and I have no room to expand. I had to get rid of some nice soaps that I rarely used and a couple of razors and brushes to make room for stuff I do use on occasion and my growing collection of DE safety razors, straight razors, brushes, and soaps. Maybe I need a new house? 🤔

That's a nice functional yet classy stand, i like it! :D

I haven't gotten much further with my design yet.
I am trying to think of fancy fold out things but in a way that i can actually build it without having to buy very expensive hardware like brass gallery rail stuff.
So i've just been working on filling it with the stuff i already have to get a better idea of the available space.
It's really hard to the actual size in my mind, once i'm in the program the cabinet feels like the size of a 2 door fridge.

f241caae-c954-4cfa-b161-37c4e57c7d8e.PNG

It looks great, and nice back yard!

If I may, I would like to suggest adding a little lip on the back of your shelves (the same size as on the sides) to keep stuff from slipping off or touching the wall.

It looks great, and nice back yard!

If I may, I would like to suggest adding a little lip on the back of your shelves (the same size as on the sides) to keep stuff from slipping off or touching the wall.
My wall is tiles all the way up to the ceiling so i thought that wouldn't be an issue if something touched it.
There is a 2cm gap but i left it there because it would look better in my opinion but i'll have another think about it.
I could also just put a mirror there.

My wall is tiles all the way up to the ceiling so i thought that wouldn't be an issue if something touched it.
There is a 2cm gap but i left it there because it would look better in my opinion but i'll have another think about it.
I could also just put a mirror there.
Didn’t know about the tile, I was thinking a wet brush or bowl against a painted wall could leave a stain.

As to the gap, if you use the shelves for display, it shouldn’t be a problem. But if you use it as storage, it will get cramped very soon, and things will be shoved.

I don't know, i've seen a few more for sale for at least 5 times what i paid for it so they aren't unique.
One of them had a lock instead of a knob, another one was 10 centimeters taller but all the same general design.

Seeing that i can find 4 online right now there were prolly a lot of them so i'm guessing they were intended for home use but inspired by old store display cabinets.

Nice job on the shelves, but my guess is that you'll soon be working to edit what goes into it versus being able to fill it. My wife was bugging me to redecorate the master bathroom and maybe put up some more shelves for my shaving stuff, but I wasn't interested. Then, a plumbing flood forced my hand and the bathroom had to be redone because of it and now, I'm having a hard time thinking about putting holes in the newly hung, plumbed and mudded sheetrock walls that I've put so much work into. This has me thinking that maybe a glassed in cabinet that I could also keep/display my straights in (w/dessicant pack) that would also eliminate the need to always dust stuff off would be nice. I like the curved one, but now that we've gone to painted cabinets and baseboards vs stained/finished wood, it may not fit the new motif so will have to take that into consideration...

Yes i run across that problem a lot.
I design something perfect to hold everything and then a week later i buy something new and my design doesn't work anymore but i am to lazy to start over so into a big plastic bin it all goes 🤣

That's why i can take like a year to start thinking of something and actually making it lol.
And sometimes i just make something half assed but with the functionality of the final product and just use it for a while to see if it works and then that ends up becoming the final product because it's good enough 😆

That's a really good looking cabinet. My "den" which is the 2nd bathroom, my wife allowed me to do what I wanted to. Because of space constraints I had to go with shelving and using a part of the sink counter. For me, it's worked out pretty good. Mainly because I've dropped my razor/ brush/ soap/ bowl collections down to manageable quantities.
tempImagexEL36H.png
tempImageDWiIt8.png
tempImageTGjgS9.png

Top Bottom