What's new

Has anyone had a meniscus tear?

I have one. The MRI came back and showed a complex tear on the inside of my knee that goes into 3 different parts of the meniscus. I have my orthopedic appointment set for 3 weeks from now, and judging from what I've read, I'm probably going to need arthroscopic surgery to deal with it. Depending on the edges, they can remove some or repair it (maybe a little of both, too) to treat the tear. Has anyone had the repair or partial removal done, and if so, what was your rehab like?

I remember my father having cartilage surgery in the 1960s (as a footballer) and being laid up in bed for quite a while. My two brothers and I have all destroyed knees playing rugby- the other two went on to have ligament reconstructive surgery (with minimal success) and I had mine repaired in 1989. Quite a lot of the meniscus was removed, my ruptured ACL was ignored and rehab was not too bad. After surgery, I was released from hospital the same afternoon and it was stressed that staying on the leg and working as much as I could with it was benificial.

No doubt techniques have improved markedly and I would suggest that you will have quite good mobility within 72 hours of the op.

My dad had meniscus surgery in the 90's. He came home in crutches but was off them pretty quickly. I don't recall him having much trouble rehabbing at all.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Right knee twice. 1st time went to lunch straight from the hospital and walked without crutches and carried my own tray of food. 2nd time went hunting the next day and gutted, skinned, and quartered 3 hogs. Rehab was stretching and bicycle for 2 weeks. Back to work in 3.
Neither time did I take any pain medication.
Those were in the early 90's so I am certain it's a piece of cake now!!
Good luck and don't worry too much!
You will come out of it just like Lee Majors!!!

The thing I keep reading about is the increased risk of arthritis. Since some of you guys are >20 years out at this point, did you have any issues like that come up? When I thought about how the heck I could have torn it, I remembered about 40 years of basketball, tennis and running. Stuff does wear out, I guess.

My case was a little more complicated by the associated ligament damage which has obviously reduced the stability of the joint. I stopped a lot of my previous sporting activity but was able to continue cycling, hiking, climbing etc and whilst my legs stayed strong, stability wasn't a problem.
More recently when I have done very little in the way of sporting activity, I notice that my knee is not as solid as previously but luckily there are no signs of arthritis.

I had Meniscus repair 7 years ago. After surgery I was walking that evening and golfing a few days later. I too had done some major damage by not having it repaired earlier. Arthritis was least of my concerns as my knee locked up. Listen to your Dr.

Due to the nice bit of damage I have done to my knee, I was advised to stick to low impact sports. Swimming, cycling, gym. No running, or anything that puts impact on the joint as that would increase the wear on it.

Sadly, arthritis will eventually come. I had similar tears in both knees. 15 years ago I had replacements done and haven't looked back. I'm surprised at how pain free these new knees are. Don't fear that. You'll have many, many pain free years before you have to get the artificial joints. By then, they'll be even better.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The thing I keep reading about is the increased risk of arthritis. Since some of you guys are >20 years out at this point, did you have any issues like that come up? When I thought about how the heck I could have torn it, I remembered about 40 years of basketball, tennis and running. Stuff does wear out, I guess.

No problems with my knees. They are awesome. All of my arthritis is in my lower back and shoulders!

I have had three meniscectomies. Two in the right knee and one in the left. None of them have been viable for repair. First two were bucket handle tears where the meniscus tissue flipped into the knee joint and I couldn't flex or extend my knee. The last one was a tear in the lateral meniscus. My last meniscectomie was in July 2015. I just found out I have another tear in my right knee, medial side this time. It's not bad enough to warrant surgery luckily. I have arthritis in both knees as a result of the lack of meniscus not keeping the bones from wearing on each other. Recovery depends on the degree of tear and amount of damage that may have been done to other tissue in the process. This and individual recovery variance from person to person, or even from surgery to surgery for the same person. After the first two arthroscopic surgeries I was fully recovered for running, jumping, etc after 2-3 months. Walking within days of the surgery. This last one has been worse mainly as it's the second surgery on the right knee plus the other tear still in there. Hopefully stem cell treatment will allow for healing of the meniscal tissue in Canada within the next few years. Heard this is in USA now but pricy. Repair is a much longer recovery process as your not allowed to be weight bearing for 1.5-2 months. The meniscus doesn't heal very well as it has very little blood flow to it. At least this is what I have been told by my surgeon who I lucked into as he is one of the top knee surgeons Western Canada.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
6/11/2009- I reached for a pencil and my knee exploded. (I know- another in my long list of unmanly injuries.). I was out of work 12weeks, mostly due to the endless paperwork, i.e., over a month to schedule MRI and surgery.

Had a great doctor. How good? He didn't even take insurance! Good thing it was a workers comp case. He explained that the meniscus is like a deck of cards. Mine was torn and one half overlapped the other, locking my leg straight out. He removed half the meniscus and both the surgery and recovery were a breeze. My wife enjoyed the use of my temporary handicapped tag for six months*.

He also explained that while partial or total removal is easy for the patient, repairing (sewing) it makes for a much more painful and extended recuperation. The meniscus is the knee's shock absorber, but I don't miss it at all (unlike Jim's first B&BBBQ, which I missed during my recovery). Within no time at all I was at 100%, with zero long term problems.

*when we went to the local police station to pick up the tag, they told me a cop was on his way to my house to deliver it. As we drove home, a patrol car pulled up behind me and hit the lights. We were in front of a public pool and hundreds of kids were milling about, so I got out of the car and assumed the felony prone position, yelling "You'll never take me alive!"

Saw the Doc today following up on the MRI, and *surprise!*, it's a meniscus tear, and a pretty big one at that. Based on the image, he estimates that he would have to remove 50-60% of the meniscus in a 15 minute procedure. The hard part is I will never be the runner I was again, as the recommendation would be to go with much less intensity/frequency/distance that I have done in the past. Nevertheless, that's still better than what I can do now, which is -0-. So I'll be scheduling my procedure for some time in the next 3 weeks or so, and we'll go from there.

God luck Bob, just remember it's not a death sentence! I had 3 meniscus procedures as a freshman in high school (blessed with creaky knees). I am a very adept knee-injurer apparently, as I had ~60% removed in one, and after a failed meniscus repair, ~80% removed in the other.

Despite these setbacks, I was able to compete in springboard diving through college, which is no treat on the knees. About 10 years post-op, I picked up running again, but certainly prefer swimming as it avoids the ground and pound on the knees.

Rehab isn't terrible although I had some choice words for the PTs on occasion. Just listen to the doc and you'll be back on your feet in no time!

I found myself marveling at the irony of the situation:

Me: So I'd have the procedure so that I can run again.
Doc: Yes
Me: But running is a high impact activity.
Doc: Right
Me: So running would not be recommended for someone getting the procedure.
Doc: Correct
Me: So basically, I'm getting a procedure to go back to an activity I like, but once I get the procedure, I shouldn't do that activity.
Doc: Pretty much
Me: Gift of the Magi.....to myself.
Doc: No nothing like that. You don't visit Jesus in the manger.
Me: O. Henry?
Doc: The candy bar?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
:lol: Well, you're going in with the right attitude.

It should be a walk in the park, Bob. The initial pain will go away very quickly, and the rehab should go smoothly. My wife says your wife should do for you what she did for me during my recovery.

everything

At some point I have torn my ACL and meniscus. Don't know when (23 years military, 14 years law enforcement), knee has been problematic for years, finally got an MRI last month. Gonna let it be, doesn't bother very often. Bet it locks up one day, dumps me, then I'll get it fixed. Doc is saying a week off work and I'll be good as new. Right. Not nearly as bad of surgery as it used to be though.

Top Bottom