What's new

Has anyone ever experienced a drug like effect from tea?

I don't remember the name of the tea I had, but it was from ekwador. A friend gave me some, and I had the same affect happen to me. I felt like a noodle, I was dizzy, and I felt nauseous. It was so weird. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one this has happen to. I thought I was crazy.

A proper, old pu'er can give an unmistakably narcotic effect. It really is significant! Some of the 50s and 60s examples that far-too-generous friends have brewed for us are really very noticeable.

I think this particularly significant narcotic effect comes from good aging - I've not seen younger cakes with an effect even remotely similar. Here's hoping that all of our modern teas turn into such classics.

Even the Baoyan.

Sniff. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Yeah the article I just read spoke about the Qi...the real reason many people like aged Pu-erh teas :) I believe thats the term he used for the relaxation felt with these aged teas.

But, I did have a sample of 2003 Pu-erh and became noticeably relaxed. Enough that my mother who was visiting commented. It could have just been because of the situation or whatever but I thought I felt the "Qi" even in a fairly young pu-erh.

I got some "herbal tea" from a "caretaker" in colorado. Of course this tea was medicinal so it was supposed to have effects... sure enough it did.

M.F.K. Fisher, the great food writer, has an introduction to James Norwood Pratt's Tea Lover's Treasury (1982), an excellent book on tea by the way. The introduction is also reprinted in a later version, entitled The Tea Lover's Companion (1996). In it Fisher discusses at some length that tea makes her drunk. One day, after a long tea-drinking session, she drove a car and realized she was intoxicated. She remarks that since that day (40 years earlier) she has not drunk any tea. She writes, "This deliberate and and self-protective abstinence has often filled me with regret." She adds, "And how can a maimed tea lover like me be writing an introduction to this story of one of the true refinements of our present culture?"

Ken

I have experienced a tea-like effect from drugs. I find that a particularly fine cocaine or methamphetamine applied just perfectly can sometimes have that "rush" I get from fine tea. Also, heroin can be quite relaxing.

What you tried was probably Coca tea :thumbup1:...That feeling you got was from the "alkaloids" compounds in the plant. I drank this tea when I was backpacking in Peru for a month.

The tea originates from the Andeshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andes mountain range, particularly Bolivia, Equador and Peruhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru. The leaves of the coca plant contain several alkaloids including cocaine. In fact, they comprise the sources for cocaine's chemical production.

The consumption of Coca tea, as well as chewing the leaves, increases the absorption of oxygen in blood, which helps combat altitude sickness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Robert

I don't remember the name of the tea I had, but it was from ekwador. A friend gave me some, and I had the same affect happen to me. I felt like a noodle, I was dizzy, and I felt nauseous. It was so weird. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one this has happen to. I thought I was crazy.

Does the exact same with me. A lady at work brought a bunch of it back from Africa a year or so ago. Its made by Lipton too, but isn't sold in the states as a true Rooibos.

A potent mug of rooibos acts as a mild nerve relaxer. Often makes me loopy.

Passionflower tea makes you very relaxed. Its used for sleep remedy and also anti anxiety. However the tea doesn't taste very good. I usually take a chamomile tea bag and some honey and combine them with the passion flower...really works though.

Top Bottom