What's new

Has anyone ever experienced a drug like effect from tea?

A proper, old pu'er can give an unmistakably narcotic effect. It really is significant! Some of the 50s and 60s examples that far-too-generous friends have brewed for us are really very noticeable.

I think this particularly significant narcotic effect comes from good aging - I've not seen younger cakes with an effect even remotely similar. Here's hoping that all of our modern teas turn into such classics.

Even the Baoyan.

Sniff. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

For clarity: the effect is noticeably distinct and separate from the effect of caffeine. It's absolutely not a caffeine buzz, but instead... narcotic. :)

Buy some samples of old pu'er and find out for yourself! They're freely available, and samples are generally not too expensive (e.g., for 10g).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In regards to what Hobbes said, I just wanted to say, um, I forgot what I wanted to say.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Was it heavy? Did you achieve total heavyosity?
-Annie Hall

Last edited:
For clarity: the effect is noticeably distinct and separate from the effect of caffeine. It's absolutely not a caffeine buzz, but instead... narcotic. :)

Buy some samples of old pu'er and find out for yourself! They're freely available, and samples are generally not too expensive (e.g., for 10g).

I hope the FDA never find out this, or they might either ban pu'erh out right or impose punitive duties and taxes on it.:wink2:

Last edited:
I hope the FDA never find out this, or they might either ban pu'erh out right or impose punitive duties and taxes on it.:wink2:

Well if it comes to that, we can always put together a lobbying group to represent the puerh industry in the US. Steve (netsurf) and myself are not too far from Washington DC. I am sure we can cobble together some start-up funds from YS, Menghai et all :ihih:

I have had that effect from Chrysanthemum tea, but it is very mild. You can order Chrysanthemum tea at Dim Sum restaurants. It is great stuff!

Dave

a proper, old pu'er can give an unmistakably narcotic effect. It really is significant! Some of the 50s and 60s examples that far-too-generous friends have brewed for us are really very noticeable.

I think this particularly significant narcotic effect comes from good aging - i've not seen younger cakes with an effect even remotely similar. Here's hoping that all of our modern teas turn into such classics.

Even the baoyan.

Sniff. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

hobbes

+10

A cup or two of lapsang souchong does it for me... a very nice, mellow, slightly woozy but very nice feeling. Something like a milder version of vicodin or percocet, I think.

Wow I have soooooo much to try when I leave the service :wink2: Tea amazing who would have thought it. I'm subscribing to this thread right now!

Cluster Headache, and at subthreshold doses. Although now there are non-psychedelic analogs in development. A clinical study is presently underway (albeit very slowly).

Also, there is ample evidence that psychedelics are powerful addiction-busting drugs. Before the door slammed on the research, these compounds were showing a lot of promise! MDMA is another example, although technically an "empathogen"; as the psychologists reported people opened up and the work of several years of therapy could be done is a few sessions with MDMA. The Peyote of the NAC, Ibogaine and Hoasca are other examples of psychosocial medicine. This is real stuff, see PubMed.

Sorry for the thread drift ya'll. I'm done now.

Cheers!
:yinyang:

Last edited:
Top Bottom