What's new

Has anyone else suffered from this "AD"?

I used to have full blown ADs, however, as of late, I have had this new "AD". I have developed an obsession with thinning my shave den down to only a few creams and soaps, so that I know that I am using only my top favorites every day.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I kind of miss my SSAD :rolleyes:

Young man you are more advanced than I thought. It took me about 2 years to get to that point. I started selling my off my razors and brushes. You get to the point when you know what works for you. I hardly buy razors or brushes anymore. Now I need to work on my colognes, watches, etc. :lol:

I think I'm just teetering on this point. There have been about 5 times I've thought about posting a bunch of items for sale, but I haven't made the leap yet. I think it's natural, because you wanted to try out various products and have an informed knowledge of many that are discussed here. Now that you've found your preference, you probably don't enjoy using the other items so much. I still find myself craving an abundance of options though, so I guess we will have to wait to see who wins the battle on my end.

Of course, my HAD just started, so I suppose there's still room for more expansion...

I totally agree. I tried different razors, but hte slant can't be beaten, same goes for red pack Personnas.
Every time I try a new soap or cream, I find that they don't compare to Tabac or Speick. I have found my shave and I intend to stick to it. Endless tweaking does not add to the enjoyment for me.

Two soaps, one cream. one blade, two razors.

Young man you are more advanced than I thought. It took me about 2 years to get to that point. I started selling my off my razors and brushes. You get to the point when you know what works for you. I hardly buy razors or brushes anymore. Now I need to work on my colognes, watches, etc. :lol:

I could PM you my address for those watches :wink: :biggrin:

I guess that's why a lot of us are here; to swap info, advice and opinions until we find that perfect shave, stuff and routine. If we ever find this shaving Utopia, I'm sure a lot of our A.D.'s will taper off. Until then, let's enjoy the jouney.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Yeppers, but we need the Ads so that there are buyers & sellers eh?

I can understand doing that. The problem is that there is always something new to try, particularly a brush or soap. The damnable recession has cut into any pruchases I would want to make regardless. I sure don't regret buying that tub of Tabac, though.

I have come to realize that anything new that I try, if it is an improvement, will only be an improvement by a slight degree. That whole sense of marvel at trying something new has definietly faded. In economic terms, the utility has declined, and really that is to be expected.

Yet, in the future I can see myself editing to the essential core.

I am still having fun and that is what counts. I still get a kick out figuring what razor to use.

Two years does seem to be the time it takes for the initial rush of ADs to fade away. It was then that I too thinned my den rather aggressively. Although I am very much more selective about what I buy, I continue to accumulate. Especially straights. I have resigned myself that I'll always have a core collection of about 60, with others that move in and out of the rotation as the mood strikes me.

I used to have full blown ADs, however, as of late, I have had this new "AD". I have developed an obsession with thinning my shave den down to only a few creams and soaps, so that I know that I am using only my top favorites every day.

Has anyone else suffered from this? I kind of miss my SSAD :rolleyes:

I have come to that point. Musgo cream, Tabac stick, Speick stick, every now and then Ultimate Comfort or 1805 thrown in the mix, repeat. I am also only using one razor, two different blades, and one brush. That's kind of minimalist for B&B.

I'm down to a few core items. The only SS I really want to get is MWF but I'm not chomping at the bit yet.

I have thinned my den considerably. I am down to razors that work for me, brushes that work for me and haven't bought new soaps or creams in the last year at least (save some Arko). I have a big backlog of soaps and creams to work through, and that is keeping me busy right now.

To me, that's always been the point of trying so many different products-----to find the one or two razors, SC, AS etc. that works best for you. By having so many different products to choose from in your bathroom, it can be kind of a pain to try to remember how this or that worked.

I like to keep things simple and am slowly eliminating products as I find others I like better. One example is Musgo Real AS----yes, it's a very "healing soothing" AS, but it's a little overpowering in scent as well as too sticky. So when it's gone, I probably won't replace it-----it's been "booted off the island" replaced by Speick, Tabac, and yes, LV!

Eventually I hope to just have one or two of everything.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im there now myself. I went to NYC for 8 months with 2 soaps..2 brushs...and really found all the other stuff wasnt necessary. BTW....Im selling stuff ont he BST forums :)

Thin out the razors? No, those are collectibles. But with the soaps, creams, and scents I might eventually settle on a few of each. After I tried them all. And I'll never get around to trying them all.

There is just way too much left out there to try for me to be there yet! I pretty much sell anything that I don't like or doesn't work for me. With my budget, I can only afford so much each month, and I have a lonnnnnnnnng way to go! I figure that by the time I'm through, I'll need a walking cane to get around, and my son will end up with enough supplies to last his lifetime!

two razors [acquired; need to sell three]
one brush [in transition; need to sell one]
one strop [acquired]
one touch up hone [learning]
one soap [in transit]
one scuttle [acquired]

as minimal as it gets.

i don't think its an AD, though...i thought AD is acquisition disorder. the OP is trimming down. :confused:

Top Bottom