What's new

Has anyone else ordered an Ambrose Strop?

I ordered my strop several weeks back and I’m just curious if anyone else had one on order too?
Ambrose strops were highly regarded back about 8 years ago, but Jose had to move to a different career for family reasons.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

He is back to strop making now and is producing personalized strops too. When I did some research on him, it turns out that a bunch of guys owned 2-3 of his strops. So, I’m guessing it was kind of a good deal to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish he was selling the ones you pictured as I love the old school look of them.

It sounds to me from my conversations with him, he is going to do some texturing on the front of strops if requested. I don’t think he currently is doing a shell strop, but a guy can hope. As far as I know he is only making one strop style to start with, but it sounds awesome!
I ordered this: Handcrafted Barber strop 2.5x 24”
Indian buffalo leather smooth thick and rich
Gun metal hardware
Natural cotton canvas tight weave
New logo embossed at bottom
I’m customizing mine with my last namely top and texturing on the face.
I think this is what the new texturing will look like:
proxy.php

BullGoose announced that they will be carrying Ambrose Strops in the near future on July 4th.

His strops have always looked good to me. I checked the BullGoose site where they're listed as "Indian buffalo leather." What is Indian buffalo leather?

Well guys, I hate to say it, but I ended up canceling my order and had to ask to receive a refund from Paypal...... I ordered the strop from Jose on July 4th and his website said it would take 3-4 weeks to be produced. THEN production delay after production delay....... I was content with waiting a while as long as I could get production updates, but they were few and far between. I'm not certain what happened with this guy, but it was a waste of my time. I waited 21 weeks, which is too long for any preorder especially if there is no end date given. I apologize to anyone who ordered one because of this post. I wish him well in what ever he is doing, but I wont buy one of his strops in the future.

Sorry to hear that. I understand how frustrating it can be waiting on custom orders with endless delays, I had a similar experience with a leather holster maker several years ago. When I did finally receive my order the quality wasn't what I expected from previous user reviews.

But you've still got that Red Imp beauty to use, right?

Sorry to hear that. I understand how frustrating it can be waiting on custom orders with endless delays, I had a similar experience with a leather holster maker several years ago. When I did finally receive my order the quality wasn't what I expected from previous user reviews.

But you've still got that Red Imp beauty to use, right?

Absolutely, 100% Horse Shell goodness, not sure I know why I need any other strop.

That's a shame. When he announced making strops again, it seemed he was ambitious to restart his business. I saw him post on a few forums about taking pre-orders. I wouldn't mind having one of his older strop. That "De Caballo Mas Fino" looks really nice.

For whatever reason, it’s common for these artisen makers to over promise and under deliver. I’ve seen it in musical instruments as well. Many/most times a well made factory product will be just as or maybe better.

And for our part, it’s not like we need them.
We just want them. These things are eye cAndy.

That's a shame. When he announced making strops again, it seemed he was ambitious to restart his business. I saw him post on a few forums about taking pre-orders. I wouldn't mind having one of his older strop. That "De Caballo Mas Fino" looks really nice.
I agree with you there. From everything he was saying, it seemed like he was ready to go. I mean, reaching out to Bullgoose is a step you wouldn't think he would take if he didn't really want to kick things off in a hurry.

For whatever reason, it’s common for these artisen makers to over promise and under deliver. I’ve seen it in musical instruments as well. Many/most times a well made factory product will be just as or maybe better.

And for our part, it’s not like we need them.
We just want them. These things are eye cAndy.
Yes, but the educated salesman always under promises and over delivers, I guess that's what I'm used to.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Sorry to hear this, but glad you got your money back. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, but the educated salesman always under promises and over delivers, I guess that's what I'm used to.
Get a nice used Illinois two piece horse hide and fire hose linen. It’s all you’ll ever need. If you take care of it, it will last you a life time. :a4:

Top Bottom