What's new

Has anyone compared Col. Conk, Ogallala, Captain's Choice, and Stirling Bay Rum Scents?

Help me choose which Bay Rum soap to try first. 4 Manfuctures and 10 choices. 1 vote person.

• Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Stirling Soap Co. Bay Rum

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Col. Conk Bay Rum

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Ogallala Bay Rum

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Ogallala Bay Rum & Vannilla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

• Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Ogallala Bay Rum and Sweet Orange

• Ogallala Bay Rum and Lemongrass

• Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello all, I am looking to venture into the world of Bay Rum shaving soaps. I have narrowed my choices to four products two glycerin based and two tallow based.

I added a poll with four manufacturers, but ten choices as Ogallala has several Bay Rum scents. Only one vote person.

Tallow Based (Soft Soaps)
  • Captain's Choice Bay Rum (1 Choice)
  • Stirling Soap Co. Bay Rum (1 Choice)
Glycerin Based (Hard Soaps)
  • Col. Conk Bay Rum (1 Choice)
  • Ogallala Bay Rum (8 Choices)
I understand that glycerin soaps are harder or take longer to use, but from the reviews I have read, I believe these four soaps have similar performance.

What I am looking for reviews/votes on the scents, I like loud, bold scents and I am usually disappointed with weaker scents. I don't know whether if I like clove or not but I have clove spice and the scent leaves me on the fence, though it works great in baking.

I can’t speak to the scent on all of them but I can say the performance of the conk and Ogallala don’t perform near as well as stirling. I haven’t used captains soap. Out of them I have used or smelled all but the stirling. Conk is the lightest scent. The others are both good.

I know you're looking for a comparison. I've only tried Col Conk. From what I've read online and watched on YouTube, the Col Conk Bay Rum scent is not a typical bay rum scent. Again, I never tried any other ones, so I can't compare.

That being said, I love the Col Conk scent a lot! It's a little sweet, clovy and rum-y. Performance wise, it's alright. Not the slickest out there, but definately a great soap!

Don't know if it's of any help!

Every comment helps. All I am going off of is other independent reviews. Personally view points differ from person to person. The only way to judge without trying them all myself is a stock pile of comments in which to base an informed decision on. Thanks for the comments. :)

I have had experiences with all of the mentioned soaps so could shed some insight that might help.

Col Conk bay rum does smell quite good. Was my first shaving soap (besides Williams which I still have issues with). The performance of Conk is not the best and honestly would not recommend it.

Stirling bay rum has a heavy clove scent that I personally dont care for. Performance is quite good and perhaps the best of the ones you listed.

Captains Choice- i have their North soap and think it's a solid product. Lather whips up like a cream, dense and protective.

Ogallala Lime & Peppercorn is my favorite of the scents you listed, sweet and interesting take on bay rum. I've tried Ogallala over and over again and the lather is just strange IMO, looks like cottage cheese at first similar to the old PPF, HTGAM soaps. The Ogallala aftershaves are much better than the soaps IMO.

Something to consider is Turtleship Bay Rum- performance and ingredients are about as good as it gets. Scent is a clean take on BR while keeping true to the bay scent without clove. Comes in a translucent tub that just screams quality all the way around.

I’ve tried Sterling and Captains Choice. Stirling lathered better and has a stronger scent, but it’s clove heavy. It also lit me up, both the soap and AS. I couldn’t use it.

I could use the Captains Choice without a negative reaction. But the scent wasn’t as strong and faded quickly.

I went with PAA Atomic Age.

Is there any other bay rum that could be an option or does it have to be from these? I went on a BR quest earlier this year and there are some others that I find way better.

Of those on your list I tried ogallala bay rum orange and Stirling and they were not my choice. The ogallala performance is meh and Stirling had great performance but too much clove

Yeah the ogallala was the orange style but I assume the other ogallala are same base

Is there any other bay rum that could be an option or does it have to be from these? I went on a BR quest earlier this year and there are some others that I find way better.

Of those on your list I tried ogallala bay rum orange and Stirling and they were not my choice. The ogallala performance is meh and Stirling had great performance but too much clove

Yeah the ogallala was the orange style but I assume the other ogallala are same base
I originally made the list from videos from youtube. Feel free to suggest other options. There are so many Bay Rums many with no reviews on youtube.

If your going AS to match. The captain cat o nine tails is nice and didn't sting that bad to me but then I don't use aggressive razors

If you want a mega boozy scent go la shaving santa Monica. Tallow and steel West Indies is a very good bay with no rum just a good bay scent and is organic. Barrister is a nice smoothe scent with no Clove and atomic was too mild however the atomic AS scent is amazing

In the end what stayed in my den is Santa Monica, West Indies and 2 barrister because of the shortage of bay due to regrowth after that one hurricane wiped out most of the bay crops in the West Indies

Last edited:
Blah I keep thinking of things. If clove don't bother you. Stirling punches way above it's price point
I never tried a Bay Rum before so I don't know if I like clove or not. I just know what the spice smell itself is not that pleasant, but smells good in baking products. Stirling's Bay Rum (sample) will be on my list as a clove version of bay rum. I had some successes in Stirling products (Pumpkin Spice for example)with good scent strength and some disappointments (Black Cherry) which I found on the weaker side. I found Black Ship Grooming's Captain's Pipe to have a stronger Cherry scent, why its called Captain's Pipe I have no idea as I can't smell any tobacco at all. The biggest problem I have is I reed or watch other reviews of the scent strength, and I buy a sample or tub and find the scent weak to the point it is disappointing to me, unfortunately, a scent is a very personal and the same product will please or displease each person differently. There are so many Bay Rums I can't afford to try them all. I wish every soap manufacturer sold samples, but I do understand a lot of the artisans do this in their own free time.

Groomatorium has la shaving santa monica and the tallow and steel west indies in a sample size

edit just checked and they say they have the barrister bay rum in sample sizxe as well

If you don't like clove stay away from Ogallala. The clove is beyond overpowering.

I voted for Stirling although I also like Col Conk.

Groomatorium has la shaving santa monica and the tallow and steel west indies in a sample size

edit just checked and they say they have the barrister bay rum in sample sizxe as well
Cool, thanks I haven't seen this site. I'll give it a look :) :) :)

The only Bay Rum I've used is Taconic Shave Bay Rum. Love it and went back for more. One of the two soaps I always keep available. Not too spicy or flowery. Invigorating but subtle.

I haven't tried all of them, but based on what I have tried:

Scent-wise, I prefer Col Conk to Ogallala. Soap base performance-wise, I prefer Stirling to Col Conk. Personally, after trying Stirling's Pumpkin Spice I've sworn off of any of their products that contain clove/cinnamon. Way too overpowering in the scent and it caused a mild burning sensation on my skin. Oh, and I couldn't smell pumpkin or really anything other than those spices.
I understand that glycerin soaps are harder or take longer to use
Generally the opposite is true. A good melt-and-pour soap ("glycerin based") is not difficult to use and usually gets used up faster than a tallow soap.

Top Bottom