What's new

Has anyone bought the Tatara boar shaving brush?

It's knotted by Semogue and looks like the same or very similar knot to their SOC Taj which I own. I've been debating buying to go with my Masamune razor but other than style, I doubt I'm getting something different. Not interested in the badger version.

A boar brush is a boar brush. Fancy handles or name brands don't make any difference. Debating the differences ad nauseum is kind of Seinfeldish isn't it? If you want a pretty handle for no apparent reason go for it. That's what we do here.

Just bought It recently to pair with my Masamune. Found a deal on Portuguese Factory and it Is definetly what u can expect from a Semogue brush. Good size, feels nice in hand, and the knot it's something between a 1460 and a SOC, fantastic for face lathering. And it complements the razor very well.

IMG_20221028_101311_640-01.jpg

Cheers

A boar brush is a boar brush. Fancy handles or name brands don't make any difference. Debating the differences ad nauseum is kind of Seinfeldish isn't it? If you want a pretty handle for no apparent reason go for it. That's what we do here.
Having a few boar brushes, I can say without a doubt, that's completely incorrect but thanks for the response.

Just bought It recently to pair with my Masamune. Found a deal on Portuguese Factory and it Is definetly what u can expect from a Semogue brush. Good size, feels nice in hand, and the knot it's something between a 1460 and a SOC, fantastic for face lathering. And it complements the razor very well.

View attachment 1549457

Cheers
That bloom is beautiful! My 10049 (right?) didn’t change a bit after dozens of sessions. I might just have the softest face and whiskers around?

Having a few boar brushes, I can say without a doubt, that's completely incorrect but thanks for the response.
Yes, I'm pretty sure mine are pig brushes, not Boar brushes. Big, fat, corn-fed pigs on the way to the Bar-S barn, covered in prickly fuzz.

Definitely not the sleek, stiff hair of a Russian boar, whose great, great grand-boar enjoyed catching and munching the occasional Cossack.

View attachment 1549457

Cheers
Having owned a 1305 (sold ages ago) and an SOC Taj, can you say anymore about the knot? It looks like the same loft height and it's the same knot diameter. Sorta wish they had a synthetic (I can't believe I'm saying that being such a snob about brushes for so long).

I have the Masamune finest badger... It's an excellent brush. Hasn't lost a hair. The handle is quit nice was well. Good weight and not at all slippery. I have also read that the boar, like the badger, was the same knot in their SOC brushes. I have also noticed differing qualities among boar. Don't have a SOC, but their lesser boar knots have been excellent.

Reactions: CCS
One of the smart things to do is sleep on things or wait a day or two. Having done that, I've decided this doesn't bring anything to my variety of brushes so I'm passing on it. The razor however was a terrific purchase for me.

Top Bottom