What's new

Has anyone been watching the downfall of HTGAM/PPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shaversnapper, thanks but I'm at least the second person that shevek done that to on this same thread. If you read the other things that I've commented on, they were all politely worded questions from an admitted noob. I don't post on this forum much because I find the format of the site itself a touch cumbersome and I didn't really get much feedback from the questions I did ask but to each his own, I know a lot of people like this site. While falling down the rabbit hole of this nonsense this morning, I stumbled across this thread and thought for what it was worth, I would throw my two cents in.

Horrible, horrible. Shame on you Doug/Hodges.

Now for everyone else, it is critically important that you immediately send me all of your tins of CaD and The Beach for immediate disposal so we can teach this guy a lesson.

Wow, 11 pages now. No matter what side of the issue you fall on, have any of you stopped to consider the amount of free advertisement this is producing for the guy? After I read an article on another site where he was connected with multiple names to the advertisement/fashion world in Costa Rica, and now all which is posted here, it seems he is an attention seeker - and all of the hullabaloo is giving him what he seeks.

Well, the old axiom is that there is no such thing as bad press. I would have to beg to differ. I don't think his numbers are going to up one single bit because of this whole thread.

Earlier, I said that the only action he could take at this point was to come completely clean and make a humble and sincere apology. I also said that it up to consumers to choose whether to forgive him or not. A few people misinterpreted this to mean that I think we should forgive him. I didn't mean to make that implication. The only consumer I can speak for is myself, and I don't see myself going out of my way to purchase PPF or HTGAM products any time in the near future. That doesn't mean I hate this Heisenberg guy, or want to encourage others to cause him to fail. it just means that there are tons of other great products on the market, and once I get through all of them, them maybe I'll start looking around for other vendors to patronize.

Maybe this guy is young, immature, dumb or even mentally ill. I have no desire to see him suffer, but I do think that his reputation has probably been damaged to the point that it's going to be very difficult to salvage. But let the market sort that out. I still think it would benefit him as a human being to try to turn over a new leaf, and the only way he can do that is to be truly sorry for misleading his customers. I don't think he specifically broke the law, even though claiming military service is a pretty low thing to do. That doesn't make him a terrible person irreconcilably for the rest of his life. But for the sake of his spiritual well-being, he needs to look inside himself and truly see the error of his ways, and do everything in his power to make amends to those he has wronged. Asking whether we should continue to purchase his products after he's done that is kinda putting the cart before the horse.

shaversnapper, thanks but I'm at least the second person that shevek done that to on this same thread. If you read the other things that I've commented on, they were all politely worded questions from an admitted noob. I don't post on this forum much because I find the format of the site itself a touch cumbersome and I didn't really get much feedback from the questions I did ask but to each his own, I know a lot of people like this site. While falling down the rabbit hole of this nonsense this morning, I stumbled across this thread and thought for what it was worth, I would throw my two cents in.

You have to admit that the vendor has poisoned the waters a bit. Since he has been caught red handed creating accounts on forums where he was banned, and using those accounts to try to sway topics in his favor..this causes some members to HAVE to be on alert for this. I know I'm not the only one. It's sad really..and this is why a lot of us have expressed such concern and vitriol for these actions. If your account and comment is authentic, I sincerely apologize.

I haven't been following this thread much, but I have a basic understanding of what happened. I find that it's unfortunante for both the HTGAM guy and for consumers. I just hope that it all resolves in a satisfactory manner to all concerned soon. No need for any of this to drag on.

All of this reminds me of the 'Bartles & Jaymes' marketing tactics/fiasco in the late 80's. Hordes of people were offended and hurt because the likeable old characters on the TV commercials (Bartles & Jaymes) were not truly real. Sales for the company plummeted for a while, but then once the public laughed it off and forgot about it, sales continued to rise again. Please DO NOT read into this that I'm agreeing with what HTGAM/PPF has done (and yes, HTGAM/PPF has gone deeper down the rabbit hole than Bartles & Jaymes did as far as makebelieve goes... they've crossed ethical lines), I'm just saying that simply creating a persona (and even a believable one at that) to market and sell a product(s) has been going on since... well, forever. Ever wonder why they don't teach ethics at Harvard Business School?

They actual do teach ethics at HBS in many different ways. The problem is that ethics are learned and developed long before graduate school and unethical people cannot be "corrected" simply by attending a two year program. Just like applying for a job, it's difficult to glean the true nature of a person in the short time that they are being assessed during an admission interview.

All of this reminds me of the 'Bartles & Jaymes' marketing tactics/fiasco in the late 80's. Hordes of people were offended and hurt because the likeable old characters on the TV commercials (Bartles & Jaymes) were not truly real. Sales for the company plummeted for a while, but then once the public laughed it off and forgot about it, sales continued to rise again. Please DO NOT read into this that I'm agreeing with what HTGAM/PPF has done (and yes, HTGAM/PPF has gone deeper down the rabbit hole than Bartles & Jaymes did as far as makebelieve goes... they've crossed ethical lines), I'm just saying that simply creating a persona (and even a believable one at that) to market and sell a product(s) has been going on since... well, forever. Ever wonder why they don't teach ethics at Harvard Business School?
Two words.......Milli Vanilli

You have to admit that the vendor has poisoned the waters a bit. Since he has been caught red handed creating accounts on forums where he was banned, and using those accounts to try to sway topics in his favor..this causes some members to HAVE to be on alert for this. I know I'm not the only one. It's sad really..and this is why a lot of us have expressed such concern and vitriol for these actions. If your account and comment is authentic, I sincerely apologize.
I agree with you, but let the Mods do the job of the Mods and not jump to conclusions. Otherwise, we aren't showing much more integrity than those "on trial" in here

Hey...I'm certainly not here to judge anyone as I have a list of mistakes that goes on like a broken record

I've never used any of his products...But, since there are so many fantastic soaps/creams in the world of shaving I'll just decide to spend my money with folks that don't need to do these things to get my business.

Shevek...you accused me as well of being Doug himself. In fact, a couple other people did as well. All this, despite having legitimate posts in other sections of the forum. Maybe do your research on a person to see what they have done before jumping the gun and calling someone out that isn't the person you think they are. Just because someone joined in October and only has a few posts, doesn't automatically make them a puppet. Before accusing me, or anyone else again for that matter, take a read of the threads I (or they) have started first. Omega out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom