What's new

Has anybody tried the paper made from limestone?

Most paper contains either Calcium Carbonate (Calcite, of which limestone is composed) and/or Calcium Sulfate (Gypsum) as a fiber bonding agent. So I think that the "Limestone" notation in this brand of paper is merely a marketing hype.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No
1573869901948.png

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It's not paper in the traditional sense; not made of wood or other plant pulp. There's a good article in Wikipedia; 'stone paper'.
I think Goulet Pens did a video on its suitability for Fountain Pens. Can't recall which series it was in. I think it got a general thumbs down, but don't quote me on that.
My Search-fu is strong. YouTube Goulet Q&A no.206 @ the 30.53 Mark. From March 2018.

Last edited:
It's still a marketing gimmick. ALL paper has CaCO3 (limestone) in it and some form of fibrous material,... be it wood pulp, cloth fibers, silk, even animal hair/fur. Heck, you could make non-flammable chrysotile asbestos paper, if you wanted to (and that would be TRUE rock paper)! The so-called "rock paper" on the market is using HDPE strands (in other words - PLASTIC) as the fibrous material to be bound by the calcium carbonate. The only real difference is that trees are not cut down in the process. However, the manufacturing of HDPE, of course, starts with the petroleum industry, which is just as environmentally UNfriendly, if not more so and is NOT sustainable, as compared to the forestry industry.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1574096079707.png

... I guess it's what you use for writing the lyrics for rock and roll.

This paper is calcium carbonate embedded in polyethylene. It's actually not very good for the environment.
I don't know if it's the same for this particular notebook but I've used two other companies' notebooks. They both used construction waste to make the sheets. They used the materials and ground them into chalk, added it to a biodegradable polymer and made sheets out it. They also claimed to use much less water than traditional paper making.

Top Bottom