What's new

Has anybody gone a year without nicking themselves?

I’ve been shaving with a DE for a dozen years. I still don’t understand the difference between a nick and a weeper.
That was my same question. I haven't cut myself in a while, but when I rush my shave can turn into weeper city.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I’ve been shaving with a DE for a dozen years. I still don’t understand the difference between a nick and a weeper.
A weeper is when you just notice a tiny bit of blood and you can't really see where it is coming from.
A nick is when you have a linear incision made by the blade (it could be really tiny, like maybe even just a millimeter, but it's clearly a laceration/cut).

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Nicked myself once last year while test driving a new razor. Other than that (and here's where hubris will likely meet nemesis) I can't recall very many nicks at all--even during my R41 days.

I wish - that being said I get a couple of weepers here and there and not a big deal.
In all my years of shaving I never went a whole year without a nick.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The one I love is the horizontal movement cut - bloody AND painful.

AA

and for me, those were/are done most often when I'm placing the razor on the face. Aaand - when I do it, again, a particular area of the face! Razor in the right hand, starting downstrokes with the grain, on the left side of my face about an inch up and left of the end of my lips!

The reaction is always the same too! Why you fr**kn idiot!
It's like my mind expects the face to be located just a bit different than where it is when I come down and slightly slip horizontally.

In my early days of DE shaving, I'd draw some blood every single shave, but now I can go close to a month without needing a styptic match. A year? Maybe some day!

I've never gone an entire year, but it doesn't happen very often. Usually it is stupidity or inattention. For example, if you turn your head while holding the razor to your face that results in a good slice.
:oops:

Back in my cart days i never had any irritation, weepers or nicks for literal years. With DE...not even close. If i stuck with one blade i liked and didn’t chase BBS every time out it’s probably possible; but even then i’m skeptical i could make it a year.

Don't know if it's been a year, but I rarely manage to draw blood. I do however somewhat regularly get some minor razor burn or irritation, though I'm getting better in that regard.

At this point in my early wet shaving career im happy to go 1 shave with no weepers or nicks. Liking the feel of the alum stone though.

One is a small cut. The other is shaving off an imperfection that oozes drops of blood. There is no agreement about which is which.

Weepers are when you have shaved too close and you see small dots of red that just barely ooze blood. Those dots were your capillaries before you removed too much skin.

Nicks are when you have sliced into the skin a bit, usually because you were not paying enough attention. You see a small amount of blood.

Cuts and gaping wounds are more severe types of damage with more blood coming out.

:death:

Last edited:
Weepers are when you have shaved too close and you see small dots of red that just barely ooze blood. Those dots were your capillaries before you removed too much skin.

Nicks are when you have sliced into the skin a bit, usually because you were not paying enough attention. You see a small amount of blood.

Cuts and gaping wounds are more severe types of damage with more blood coming out.

:death:

Why would you call a wound a weeper if it doesn't weep blood? If it makes tears, I call it a weeper. If it's a slice, I call it a nick. I call the small dots little pricks. I don't think there is a standard terminology.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I used a DE I rarely made it a week without a nick. Since I began using straight razors, nicks are extremely rare and a nick free year isn’t beyond imagination. Also, I haven’t had a single incidence of razor burn in at least two years. SR’s are very kind to the face.

Top Bottom