What's new

Has anybody else noticed a change in the consistency of the TOBS shaving cream?

Did something change with TOBS shaving cream?
I've been using Eaton Collage and Rose cream for at least 7 yrs. Over the years, every once in a while I'd get a tub that seemed out of date. Like it's been in storage too long. The consistency I've been used to is something like a good thick sour cream. Something that I could easily dip my brush into. Every once in a while I'd get a tub that was more like chilled cream cheese. Too hard to dip my brush into. I'd return it for a replacement and get a good one again.
But I've had to give up. I recently went through multiple replacements from 4 different vendors and all I got was the hard cream cheese version.

Besides the consistency are you noticing a change in lather performance? I would say the consistency of my TOBS sandlewood isn’t quite that of chilled cream cheese or of sour cream, but it’s an awesome performer. Quick, easy, great lather. But I don’t have seven years of TOBS use behind me.

I've had bad bowls of the cream from Amazon. I think it has to do with how it's stored. The cream probably doesn't stay stable if it's shipped in a shipping container that gets too hot.

Besides the consistency are you noticing a change in lather performance? I would say the consistency of my TOBS sandlewood isn’t quite that of chilled cream cheese or of sour cream, but it’s an awesome performer. Quick, easy, great lather. But I don’t have seven years of TOBS use behind me.
I've stopped using it since I've had this problem so I can't answer about lather performance. Are you able to dip your brush into the cream? I used to be able to but now it's more like soap than cream.

I've had bad bowls of the cream from Amazon. I think it has to do with how it's stored. The cream probably doesn't stay stable if it's shipped in a shipping container that gets too hot.
Yes, I've noticed the same. I always ordered mine from the TOBS Amazon store. I'd get a bad tub on a rare occasion and get a replacement. But then recently any replacement I got was the same hard consistency. So I ordered from West Coast Shaving. I wouldn't have minded paying shipping if it was what I was used to getting but even this order came like the others. So I've given up and bought a can of Edge gel. I'll start trying out other quality shave creams if I have to permanently give up TOBS but I don't want to.

I have a tub of the Sandalwood. It's hard.

Lathers tremendously.
If the cream has hardened, then you can't dip the brush into it right?
How do you apply it? Do you dig a chunk out? Or do you use it like a bowl of shave soap?
I've never used shave soap so I'm not familiar with how it's used.

Last edited:
Sometimes depending on how old it is, how long its been 'out' or if it hasn't been stored correctly (Either too cold or too hot etc.) it can harden up and dry. Personally, I experienced little to no difference in performance and negligable difference in scent. If you prefer it wetter, literally just add in some. Not too much obviously, but a few tea spoons worth at a time and just let it soak in overnight till it gets back to the consistency you like. Otherwise, just lather up as if it were a soap. Keep in mind, you still don't need to lather up too much as it is at its heart a cream and not a soap despite its consistency.

My latest TOBS shave cream bowls have been OUTSTANDING!
IMHO, even better than their earlier versions!!

taylor old bond st shipment july 2020.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
All creams harden over time. Doesn't impact performance.

The 2 most recent TOBS I've received are all cream cheese consistency. My Eton college from 6 years ago is now a hard soap, works fine.

No offense, by returning a product 4 times because of cream consistency is a bit overboard...

Due to having too many soaps and creams that take forever to use up(I am not complaining), I have some TOBS creams that are around 10 years old. They have hardened into soaps but still have retained their scent and perform excellently. I recently just used them and I was amazed with how well they performed.

Last edited:
The last two tubs that I purchased were St. James and Royal Forest. They both seemed rather "thick." I haven't noticed that it changed the performance though.

Yes, just like a tub of shave soap. Shake out a wet brush, load the brush for about 20 to 30 seconds, apply to face and work up into a rich lather.
This. TOBS creams definitely stiffen as they age. They are fine though, at least mine were. If you add a small amount of water to the bowl each shave by using this method, it will eventually soften back up. My favorite, Peppermint, has always come to me very stiff. Some were downright hard. No issues loading the brush though.

Regards

If you prefer it wetter, literally just add in some. Not too much obviously, but a few tea spoons worth at a time and just let it soak in overnight till it gets back to the consistency you like. Otherwise, just lather up as if it were a soap. Keep in mind, you still don't need to lather up too much as it is at its heart a cream and not a soap despite its consistency.
Good advice, thanks. I'll do that if my next order comes dried out again.

All creams harden over time. Doesn't impact performance.

The 2 most recent TOBS I've received are all cream cheese consistency. My Eton college from 6 years ago is now a hard soap, works fine.

No offense, by returning a product 4 times because of cream consistency is a bit overboard...
That's cool. No offense taken because it's not overboard at all to expect to get a shave cream when you pay a premium for one. If I wanted to use shave soap, that's what I'd order.

Don't know. Never tried and won't. I scoop a bit out, put it in the bowl, and lather it up. It lathers up amazingly.
You mean you adamantly won't dip a brush into the tub of cream? I've gotta ask why? That's not not a challenge. I'm genuinely curious. I think it's just so easy to dip a wet brush into the cream and letting it pick up a tiny bit of the cream, then beating it to whipped cream in my small aluminum bowl.

Yes, just like a tub of shave soap. Shake out a wet brush, load the brush for about 20 to 30 seconds, apply to face and work up into a rich lather.
I'll give that a try if SydneyShaver's idea doesn't work out.

Thanks all for talking through this with me. I'll be glad to order my favorite shave cream again and not have to use it like a soap.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I don't dip my brush into the cream, either, maybe I'm being unduly fastidious, but my understanding is you don't want tap water in your cream. If my TOBS creams stiffen up a bit, I add a little distilled water and stir it up with a spoon until I get the original consistency again. Then I scrape the cream off the spoon into the bowl and seal it up.

Creams stiffen because I am using a rotation (usually) of 4-8 lather products and they don't get used up too quickly. I feel better about thinning them with distilled water, I'm not suggesting it is necessary. But I also scoop a bit out with my finger and put it on the brush or in a bowl.

I have had a few creams that have hardened over time. I am currently using a GFT Sandalwood Cream that was in hiding for several years. It ended up being like a soft soap. I either scoop a bit out and put it in a bowl or take a damp brush and load it like I would a soft soap.

Had a tub of Sandalwood a few months ago, and just started on a Coconut tub last week. (Both from West Coast)

Didn't notice any difference from past years.

Top Bottom