What's new

Hart steel razor

So it’s been a couple years since I last purchased a new razor. I really want something 6/8ths and 1/4 hollow, preferably round point. I’ve always wanted a Hart but I’ve been reading they’ve been acquired by a not so reputable buyer so I am hesitant at this point. Does anyone have feedback from their current production?

If not does anyone have any suggestions for such a razor sub $300?

there are plenty of vintage 1/4 hollows that are well below the price threshold. I'm not sure about round point 1/4s off the top of my head, maybe some Pumas.

I've got a CVH Le Duc that's a French point.

Last edited:
there are plenty of vintage 1/4 hollows that are well below the price threshold. I'm not sure about round point 1/4s off the top of my head, maybe some Pumas.

I've got a CVH Le Duc that's a French point.
Thanks for the reply. I know nothing about vintage straights so that’s an avenue I haven’t taken yet.

So it’s been a couple years since I last purchased a new razor. I really want something 6/8ths and 1/4 hollow, preferably round point. I’ve always wanted a Hart but I’ve been reading they’ve been acquired by a not so reputable buyer so I am hesitant at this point. Does anyone have feedback from their current production?

I suggest Thiers Issard or Ralf Aust. I just bought a Hart Steel 6/8 on sale recently (Dec 2020) and it was not shave ready by any stretch. I stropped it.. nothing. Ok Whatever.. I ran it on my finishing stones a Naniwa 12k and my Shapton 30K stone and stropped thinking.. ok it happens.. NOTHING it simply would not shave. I reached out to Dr. Matt of Youtube fame and he recommended I add two layers of tape and go down to 8k, 12k and finally my 30k and strop. I did that and it kind of shaved but not very well I suspect the bevel angle is to high as without tape it measures in at a great 16.1 degrees which is ideal but with tape it would suck. I had to do six passes and had to do a lot of blade buffing to get a semi close shave. What a disappointment. I also noticed microchips on the bevel. What the heck kind of razor is this that won't take a keen edge and finish without getting microchips? I reached out to Classic Shaving Customer service via email as they no longer offer telephone support due to the cerveza sickness. I asked them to hone it without tape. If they cannot give me a keen edge I will ask for a refund. If I don't get one I will file a dispute with my credit card company for a defective product. I can't prove this but I suspect they are selling returned razors at a discount. I also suspect they cannot hold a 16 degree bevel without microchips which suggests the temper is off and softer at the edge than at the spine. Live and learn.
I have always gotten excellent products from Classic Shaving. If they stand behind their product I will continue to do business with them. If not I will never buy anything from them again. Sad. I will provide an update here once this runs its course.

I suggest Thiers Issard or Ralf Aust. I just bought a Hart Steel 6/8 on sale recently (Dec 2020) and it was not shave ready by any stretch. I stropped it.. nothing. Ok Whatever.. I ran it on my finishing stones a Naniwa 12k and my Shapton 30K stone and stropped thinking.. ok it happens.. NOTHING it simply would not shave. I reached out to Dr. Matt of Youtube fame and he recommended I add two layers of tape and go down to 8k, 12k and finally my 30k and strop. I did that and it kind of shaved but not very well I suspect the bevel angle is to high as without tape it measures in at a great 16.1 degrees which is ideal but with tape it would suck. I had to do six passes and had to do a lot of blade buffing to get a semi close shave. What a disappointment. I also noticed microchips on the bevel. What the heck kind of razor is this that won't take a keen edge and finish without getting microchips? I reached out to Classic Shaving Customer service via email as they no longer offer telephone support due to the cerveza sickness. I asked them to hone it without tape. If they cannot give me a keen edge I will ask for a refund. If I don't get one I will file a dispute with my credit card company for a defective product. I can't prove this but I suspect they are selling returned razors at a discount. I also suspect they cannot hold a 16 degree bevel without microchips which suggests the temper is off and softer at the edge than at the spine. Live and learn.
I have always gotten excellent products from Classic Shaving. If they stand behind their product I will continue to do business with them. If not I will never buy anything from them again. Sad. I will provide an update here once this runs its course.

Just curious if there was an update to how this ended. I was very recently given a new Hart razor as a gift and just trying to figure out what I have?

TIA
C.

Just curious if there was an update to how this ended. I was very recently given a new Hart razor as a gift and just trying to figure out what I have?

TIA
C.
It’s a good razor. It’s made from very high quality steel. I know that some of the grinds in the past have been some issues for some shavers. I do believe that has been worked out.But overall it’s a quality product. I know some of the members had issues with The retailer that owns Hart in the past. That retailer in particular I have purchased and had no issues. That’s just my experience.

It’s made from very high quality steel.

Honestly and without malice: that doesn't mean anything in itself. Any steel is only as good as the heat treatment it received. That is entirely operator dependent. No matter how good the steel quality is to begin with, if it is not thermal cycled, austenized, quenched and tempered correctly, the results will be hit or miss.

The effect of the heat treatment is much bigger than the steel itself, so there can still be a lot of variation even among razors made with the same steel.

Quarter hollow 6/8?
Portland Razor Company’s “Kraaken” has served me well for a few years now. Just a good, basic razor without issues.

This one is 5/8 quarter hollow, round point. Cocobolo scales, it's pretty, so I'm hoping it's of decent quality. As Katatsumuri said though from what I've read it's all about the heat treatment and how it was done. I suspect the only way to know for sure is to send it to a honemeister (still above my pay grade) and see if it will hold an edge. It does good in the tree topper test currently so... maybe.

Any news on this? I just ordered one last week and it’s on the way.

I was gifted a 6/8 RP in 2018 that can’t hold an edge for more than 1-2 shaves before it just magically microchips. I tried honing it on a litany of stones and there is no difference.

the harder part will be finding an older Hart steel razor that was made by a craftsman that did good work.

I found a Bruce Gregory a while back that was done nicely.

20210616_055058.jpg

I absolutely do not like the bolt/screw instead of a pin.

camo

Last edited:
Any news on this? I just ordered one last week and it’s on the way.
They honed it for free. But as I noted not a good shave. I eventually sent it to Dr. Matt and he said it had geometry issues which he corrected. I got a very good shave about 8 out of 10 and put it in my rotation. Would I buy it again? No. At least not until they correct their quality control issues. But to be fair Classic shaving tried to make it right and did not charge me for their attempt at honing it. I had to pay Dr. Matt who is really good at fixing blade geometry issues.

I have three Harts that were purchased under current ownership but made by the Michigan artisans that are no longer with the company. They are excellent shavers.

I will add that smallflower.com is clearing their inventory of Hart artisinal series. They have two 6/8 options available, including one with a polished finish. $195.30 and you can get another 10% off if you sign up for their newsletter. If that doesn't work, there is another thread on B&B with a 10% off coupon code.

I'd go that route if you are considering a Hart.

Top Bottom