What's new

Harry’s Gift

Today for Xmas my sister gave me a Harry’s shave club razor. It’s got 5 blades on the cartridge. It came with a small can of shave gel. I might use it occasionally as I love shaving DE most of the time. Not sure how much replacement cartridges cost. Actually not sure I want to use it at all! Anybody else here have experience with Harry’s? What are your thoughts about them?

I have NO experience with Harry’s hardware, so take this with (at least) a grain of salt!

You might consider this as a travel razor, especially if you are going by air.

That seems reasonable BigJ.... I’ll try it out for a couple shaves. It looks like their version of the Fusion razor. I’m still convinced however that I will always love using the DE over any cart razor.

I have used Harry's before getting into DE shaving. I was looking for something better than Mach3/turbos. Harrys are the best of the worst so to speak. If you are going to use carts they will provide the closest shave. However, the actual shave feels rough, at least compared to other carts and DE. They cost $1.85 /cart. Sometimes when traveling I will bring them. Their cost and shave don't come close to DE. See if you can get your sister to gift you a Rockwell 6S instead.

I get better shaves from cartridges than I do with DE, and with DE I have nicks and weepers nearly every day. I started with DE when I was 15 and have probably shaved with them more than I have with cartridges. YMMV.

When I first tried Harry's I would often get a skip somewhere on my face where the hair wasn't touched. I gave the razor to my son, now 45, and he loves it, preferring it to all others.

I attributed the skip to the plastic hinge which they later improved. I have another Harry's that I occasionally use and it seldom if ever encounter the skip I had before. Other than the skip problem it provided a smooth shave and the cartridges last a heck of a lot longer than Gillette Fusions.

My current preference is Dorco, but they seem harder to find.

They are tuggy and along with Bic are at the end of the line apart from generic Chinese disposables. Schick/Personna, Gillette and Dorco are better. Hopefully they will improve now they are apart of Edgewell/Schick.

Top Bottom