What's new

Hario Skerton* hand grinder

Thanks to a tip from Jasonian, I ordered a Hario Skerton hand grinder from Barismo*. It arrived last week and I've had a few days to use it. While it's a little slower than my vintage Zass, it works very well. I normally do two cups at a time and use an Aeropress. For two scoops of beans it takes just over a minute to grind. That's about a third of the time that it takes to heat the water, so grinding isn't a burden.

More specifically, though, it's easy to use, easy to adjust, and produces a pretty consistent grind with no static problems. For those that are inclined to unplug or looking for an inexpensive grinder that puts out a good grind, this might be for you. It's definitely for me. Mine is at work and I'll thinking about getting another one to use at home and put the vintage Zass on a display shelf.

Thanks again to Jasonian for the early notice. I'm supposedly on a notification list from the people at Barismo, but they still haven't sent me an email saying it's in. Since I gave up checking the site regularly, I probably still wouldn't know they had them back in stock.

~Jeff

* They call it a Skelton, but it said Skerton on my box. I've also seen it called a Skeleton

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thanks for the link. It looks as if it would be right up my alley.

The online brochure at Hario's website calls it a "Skeleton" grinder, which I think makes sense considering its construction/design. (so I have referred to it as such ever since)

But yea, the box does say "Skerton". I'm glad you like it!

I was messing around with one a bit earlier today and arrived at the conclusion that this particular grinder likes a finer grind paired with a shorter dwell time.

It's terribly inconsistent at coarser settings based on its design (which could be easily remedied, but it may increase the price point somewhat).

The grind cut quality (i.e. - burr quality, not burr mounting quality) is most excellent. Makes a great tool for camping, traveling, or impromptu cupping.

I was messing around with one a bit earlier today and arrived at the conclusion that this particular grinder likes a finer grind paired with a shorter dwell time.

It's terribly inconsistent at coarser settings based on its design (which could be easily remedied, but it may increase the price point somewhat).

The grind cut quality (i.e. - burr quality, not burr mounting quality) is most excellent. Makes a great tool for camping, traveling, or impromptu cupping.

After using it for a little over a week or so, I've come to similar conclusions. I had it set for a more coarse grind initially, but found I was getting larger 'chips' in the mix. But after a minor adjustment, I'm getting a really good grind for coffee (I don't do the espresso thing). It's not so fine that it's bitter. It does extend the time it takes to grind two scoops of beans from about 1:10 to about 1:30, but that's still longer than it takes me to heat the water. I use an Aeropress and get what I think is a great cup of coffee. It sure beats the pants off the free stuff that most everyone else drinks around the office.

Thanks again to all here for the help in finding both the Aeropress and the grinder. I would have never even known they existed without this place. More importantly, even if I had run across them in a web search, most likely I would have dismissed them. But based on the comments here, I'm now able to enjoy much better coffee.

~Jeff

Quick question. I've finally accepted what I've been told all along - The Maestro is not suitable for espresso. OK. I can live with that, but funds are tight where coffee purchases are concerned. That being said, I'm looking into a hand grinder.

Is the Hario suitable for espresso? My preliminary research says, "yes," so I want to now run it by you guys. :biggrin:

Last edited:
It was actually designed for espresso; that's its forte.
Same for the Kyocera handheld; both have the same ceramic burrs.
I've been using the Kyocera and get consistent shots.

It was actually designed for espresso; that's its forte.
Same for the Kyocera handheld; both have the same ceramic burrs.
I've been using the Kyocera and get consistent shots.

Excellent!

I'm not looking to entertain the masses and put out massive volume, just an occasional double-shot, Americano, or Mocha for my wife and I. I'm not afraid to throw a little elbow grease into it, but I also don't want to become a slave to the grinder. Then again, I'm confident the increase in shot quality will more than make up for a couple hundred turns of the crank.

My wife made mention of placing an order on Amazon for something, so I think I'll just piggy-back one of these babies onto her order. :tongue_sm

Hey all!

I added the mod piece which it supposed to make the Skerton more suitable for pour overs- what setting are you guys using for diff brews?
I found a youtube video showing how to adjust and mark the setting, starting at 4:44:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCHdG25JFU

According to this: 5 notches would be ideal for a Chemex, you guys agree?

Top Bottom