What's new

Hardware or software

More hardware or software?

Do you like having more razors and a few soaps/creams

Or do you prefer less razors and loads of soaps/creams ect

Or both [emoji1787][emoji2957][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both :)

What if I had to pick, if I was able to narrow down to just a few of my favorite razors, then I would choose to have a large inventory of soaps to choose from.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Def a software guy. Straights make me perk up, but more often then not soap is in the cart even if i dont hit the buy button.

I would like to say both, but I know right now it is a win for the software. Maybe 14 razors and brushes, and closer to 44 different pre-shaves, soaps, creams, and after-shaves... but I have 5 more brushes coming from DSCosmetics, but also am bidding on a few of the soaps in the NBCF auction...

10 years on, it's always one DE of several, one of 2 blades, one of 4 of my 9 brushes, and one of 5 of more than a dozen+ soaps.

I taught myself to DE shave with a Fatboy in 1960; I still use a Fatboy (not the same one, alas) as my only razor. I have and use daily the brush I bought in 1971 at Floris in London. I do keep a vintage boar in reserve for travel. One brand of blade. Even one hand-made colorful lather bowl. Almost a minimalist, right?

Not quite. I am finishing my second year-long sabbatical, and I still have a cupboard full of soaps and creams. But I have settled on my six favorites, which I shall reorder. Progress, I guess.

Right now, the various combinations of razors, blades and brushes out numbers the four jars of soap by a vast number and is likely to stay unbalanced in favor of the hardware for a long time. I know the soaps that give me an easy shave and I am not interested in scents and know of no reason to change the software.

I like both as well. However, the more I obtain, the less I'm willing to go for that new thing. I would say half the time, I do not enjoy the new gear. Now, I know what I enjoy so I'm more willing to pick from those brands rather than trying out new brands.

For example, I cannot stand complex scents in soaps or the masculine scents like tobacco and musk. I wish I enjoyed them but I do not. Now that I know, I stick to simple light scents and I enjoy shaving with them.

Definitely software. I’ve got three razors in my rotation, and don’t feel I need (or want) any more. Probably have a couple dozen soaps and creams.

While I have a good amount of software I’ll have to go with hardware.
I think my preference for more muted scents (though there are exceptions)
ruins for me what so many find interesting about software. And the fact that there is a huge variety of soaps and creams that are high performing, I often feel like Im getting the same thing where ever I go and actually have to look for something different. Not to mention that for wet shavers half the soap experience stems from hardware (brushes).

Hardware is more dynamic imo. Especially with
straight razors/honing/stropping. Even D.E. with there variety of blades and how they work with different razors can really draw you in. You also have a wide variety of vintage razors/blades/hones/strops to choose from where with software there isn’t much to experience from yesteryears products.

Hardware is more expensive so presumably harder to obtain making it more covetous. Software is inexpensive and therefore the want for it is more easily satisfied. But maybe that’s why so many prefer software.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hmmm... I like just enough, but not too much, of both.

Hardware at present:

4 DE razors (8 chosen blade types)
2 Hollow ground SE razors
2 shavette (using DE blades)
2 straight razors (one stone progression)
1 pasted strop, 1 clean strop
3 brushes (1 home, 1 travel, 1 spare)
1 traditional scuttle
1 mug

Software at present:

4 soaps (working to get that down to 2) plus samples. I do have spares of the two soaps I want to keep.
1 cream (won't be replaced)
2 balms (1 scented, 1 not)
Assorted aftershave samples - which may lead to one or two being introduced long term.
3 EdTs

Hardware is about at the right level for me, I just need to get the soaps down and discover my aftershave preferences.

Razors, have 52, use only 6, the rest I'll downsize. Brushes 18 rotate all. Soaps, I use 3, I buy each in quantity. Pack of 12 or kilo.

Top Bottom