What's new

Hard Water

PSA: I read shaving posts all the time where hard water gets blamed for everything wrong with somebody’s shave. If you blame your water, consider trying bottled water or installing a water softener. Trust me when I say 99% of the time it’s not your water causing problems. I’ve used hard untreated well water, tap water, bottled water, mineral water, sparkling water, pool water and pond water…they all lathered up great. Don’t blame the water, blame the soap. Happy shaves all!

PSA: I read shaving posts all the time where hard water gets blamed for everything wrong with somebody’s shave. If you blame your water, consider trying bottled water or installing a water softener. Trust me when I say 99% of the time it’s not your water causing problems. I’ve used hard untreated well water, tap water, bottled water, mineral water, sparkling water, pool water and pond water…they all lathered up great. Don’t blame the water, blame the soap. Happy shaves all!
Or more likely, blame the user. I remember way back when people said they couldn't lather MWF because they had hard water. Well, I have hard water from our well (as well as in town) and lathering MWF with boar or badger couldn't be easier SO LONG AS you have the correct product to water ratio. I'm sure with all the boutique soaps out there now, many of them are crap with cool labels but I stick with known soaps and creams and have never had an issue due to hard water.

I travel quite a bit for work to places with much softer water than I have at home. I don't have any trouble making good lather at home. It does seem to make me use noticeably more soap to get it though. And I will say my lather feels slicker when I make it with soft water. But the shaves are still good enough even with hard water.

Trust me when I say 99% of the time it’s not your water causing problems. I’ve used hard untreated well water, tap water, bottled water, mineral water, sparkling water, pool water and pond water…they all lathered up great. Don’t blame the water, blame the soap.
Perfectly true; if you want good lather with you need to experiment till you get good lathers. Hard water means to have to load more soap to couteract that excess calcium and magnesium.
And I will say my lather feels slicker when I make it with soft water.
Yes it is but you use less soap to get that slickness then if you were using hard water.

Top Bottom