What's new

Hard water soap?

Arko specifically has chelating agents to grab the minerals and reduce their effect. As others have noted, if you can't get Arko to lather, you may need to look at de-ionized water or your technique.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Nothing beats a $9 RR Plissoft. :w00t:
+1 on the $9 RR Plissoft. I also have a White Knight that I affectionately call the Boss, but the Plissoft is just as good at 1/4 the price... We have very hard water and I found that using hot water from a Sparklets dispenser or using reverse osmosis filtered water made more of a difference than brushes......
As said before, Arko works with all kinds of water.........

When we moved from Ohio to Texas, we discovered what hard water really was, we were used to using Old Spice mug soap, that stopped working, that's when dad discovered the Old Spice in a tube and we started using it. That was back in 1977, as time rolled on we had to switch and found Col Conk's glycern soap, which worked all right, and used it until we finally had to switch to can goop and cartridges. About 5 years ago I switched back to wet shaving and found Old Spice in a tube and Proraso are the two best ones for getting a good lather, Arko works great too but I just don't care for the smell.

Here's an old post from B&B. It describes how to lather if your water is disgustingly hard.

Williams reputedly works well in hard water. I would prime the puck first with lots of distilled water, however.

Palmolive sticks are also good.

Not very much water is required. A typical 16.9 ounce bottle would probably last for a couple weeks worth of lather. You can used your tap water for all other aspects of your shave, just use the bottled water for your lathering.

Yeah, that's what a shaving scuttle is for. I have done this in the past and gotten great results. Fortunately, my hard water situation improved some, and I tend to use creams now days that are more immune to hard water.

As others mentioned, I would try a shaving cream. There's always some conversation about lathering soaps (some brands appear more often than others) but questions on how to lather proraso or palmolive cream dom't seem to come up often.

hard brown water ?? can I suggest that you flush before soaking your puck :001_rolle
I also find soaps like Palmolive and arko lather well in most conditions I also have noticed that if I have used say a derby stick then try using lets say proraso with the same bowl and brush it dosnt like lathering as much .

Top Bottom