What's new

Hard to clean TOBS Sandalwoods odor from brush?

Hello all,

First post so I’ll introduce myself first, I’m JF and I’ve been wet shaving for a little over 4 years. Until recently I was using a Merkur 38c and a cheap brush and soap found in my local drugstore.

After hesitating for a while I finally ordered my first « proper » shaving creams (shortly followed by many others and some quality shaving soaps... I’m sure you get the picture lol) and an inexpensive badger brush. I also got some blade samplers and « graduated » to a Merkur Futur.

A few weeks later here’s the picture: the 38c is now my son’s, I’m in love with my Futur @6 with a Feather blade.... and I had to buy a new brush, this time a silvertip of much better quality! Why did I had to? Because that first shaving cream was TOBS Sandalwood and that I made the error to load it soap-style, didn’t realized I was supposed to used almond sized [emoji20] that brush was VERY hard to get mostly rid of the sandalwood smell... and is now also my son’s [emoji6]

I received a D R Harris Sandalwood cream sample which smell really nice but at this point I am afraid to spoil my nice silvertip brush.... even more scared to retry TOBS sandalwood [emoji20]

Should I? Do you, aficionados dedicate a brush for sandalwood soaps and creams?

TLDR: is it normal to have Sandalwood odor stick to a brush?

Thank you and sorry for the long post
JF

The scent will go away in a week or so. Just keep using the brush. For every time you rinse the brush after shaving the scent will become weaker. Actually just putting away the brush for a week or two would do the trick. Then again there are worse smells then Sandalwood. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B.

I am at a loss as to why the Sandalwood scent would stick to a brush. I currently have two sandalwood scented products in my rotation: GFT Sandalwood Cream and AoS Sandalwood Soap (the told tallow formula). I don't have a problem with either one.
However, I rotate soaps or creams every day. I usually take two products and alternate using them for a week and then go on to another two.

You may want to try cleaning your brush. Here is how I do it.

I place the brush under running warm water. When thoroughly wet I take a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid soap and gently rub it into the brush. I then rinse the brush under running water and then soak the brush for a minute in a container filled with clear water. I then take a cup or container and fill it with one ounce of white vinegar and warm water. I stir the mixture and put the brush in the liquid using a pumping motion. I soak the brush for about two or three minutes. I take the brush out of the mixture, rinse again under running water, shake out the water, and gently swirl it around a towel to dry. Periodically you can use the vinegar solution and let your brush soak for a few minutes to keep it fresh.

Thank you very much for your cleaning recipe!

Well I guess it really was my fault, instead of using an "almond size" of TOBS Sandalwood I went ahead and basically put the brush straight into it (yes newbie mistake) so there was so much cream on it....

Now it might have been because of the exagerated amount of cream but sandalwood, which I usually love in cologne in small amount, really wasn't too pleasing to me.

The way I got rid of most of the odor on my previous brush was with about 8-12 shampoo (read that trick somewhere).

I really have to try it again with the proper amount of cream this time ;)

Thanks again for any informations, still learning the art !

I keep a tub of TOBS Sandalwood in my den for the specific purpose of removing the funk from new natural fiber brushes (badger, boar, and horsehair). The scent is so strong that it covers up even the worst smelling brushes. However, I have not used it for shaving purposes in a very long time and I have no intention of doing so. After the brush loses its funk, I air it out for a while until the odor of TOBS sandalwood goes away. Only then will I use the brush for building a shaving lather, using something other than TOBS.

Reactions: JFT
Hello all,

First post so I’ll introduce myself first, I’m JF and I’ve been wet shaving for a little over 4 years. Until recently I was using a Merkur 38c and a cheap brush and soap found in my local drugstore.

After hesitating for a while I finally ordered my first « proper » shaving creams (shortly followed by many others and some quality shaving soaps... I’m sure you get the picture lol) and an inexpensive badger brush. I also got some blade samplers and « graduated » to a Merkur Futur.

A few weeks later here’s the picture: the 38c is now my son’s, I’m in love with my Futur @6 with a Feather blade.... and I had to buy a new brush, this time a silvertip of much better quality! Why did I had to? Because that first shaving cream was TOBS Sandalwood and that I made the error to load it soap-style, didn’t realized I was supposed to used almond sized [emoji20] that brush was VERY hard to get mostly rid of the sandalwood smell... and is now also my son’s [emoji6]

I received a D R Harris Sandalwood cream sample which smell really nice but at this point I am afraid to spoil my nice silvertip brush.... even more scared to retry TOBS sandalwood [emoji20]

Should I? Do you, aficionados dedicate a brush for sandalwood soaps and creams?

TLDR: is it normal to have Sandalwood odor stick to a brush?

Thank you and sorry for the long post
JF
It'll go away on its own if you just leave it. If you want to speed it up use a different scented product. You could even shampoo and condition the brush if you want.

It'll go away on its own if you just leave it. If you want to speed it up use a different scented product. You could even shampoo and condition the brush if you want.

Yes Shampoo and conditionner is what finally worked but it took many ones! I was hoping for a more efficient way. Going to try the Neutrogena one!

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Top Bottom