What's new

hard soap

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I do recommend my top (all inexpensive) brands:

La Toja
Ach. Brito
Haslinger

The latest Lea V2 is reported to be excellent and from the upgraded ingredients list I'm confident that it is. But I haven't tried it yet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To be fair, and as someone who has dialed in Williams and has defended it enough in the past, it's not a good soap for most. It takes a lot of patience for most to get a decent lather and with so many amazing soaps on the market most would really do best to avoid Williams unless you are into challenges.
The best way to use Williams, either old or new formulas, is as a puck rubbed on my incredibly handsome face.

YMMV, and that was not an offer to allow any of you Yahoos to rub my face. But I still love you all.

FarmerTan

I do recommend my top (all inexpensive) brands:

La Toja
Ach. Brito
Haslinger

The latest Lea V2 is reported to be excellent and from the upgraded ingredients list I'm confident that it is. But I haven't tried it yet.
Is the Lea V2 made with animal fat my friend from Italia?

The best way to use Williams, either old or new formulas, is as a puck rubbed on my incredibly handsome face.

YMMV, and that was not an offer to allow any of you Yahoos to rub my face. But I still love you all.

I've never used it as a shave stick, but I found that a mug lather was the best method for me. It takes a lot of work on the puck to get enough soap off of it, and a mug is perfect for that. I imagine that using the shave stick method would get a lot of soap off the puck as well.

FarmerTan

No Sir, it's tallow-free as was its previous version. But the V2 has a terribly good looking ingredients list. :thumbup1:
Now on my wish list good Sir!

You remind me of a Time Travelling Ambassador, because you ALWAYS pop up when called on!

Perhaps Leonardo da Vinci never died, and YOU are him? Or Benjamin Franklin?

I believe I have revealed your secret identity! Forgive me my friend!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Now on my wish list good Sir!

You remind me of a Time Travelling Ambassador, because you ALWAYS pop up when called on!

Perhaps Leonardo da Vinci never died, and YOU are him? Or Benjamin Franklin?

I believe I have revealed your secret identity! Forgive me my friend!

Over the years I've been called in many ways, but never Leonardo da Vinci, nor Benjamin Franklin!

Tell me what your thoughts on the soap are once you get it and if my guess was correct.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Pre de Provence (esp for straight razors)
Provence Sante
Haslinger
La Toja

All cheap and good. Pre de Provence is likely the best value, but be aware that it does create a thinner lather than the others, but very slick and quad milled. Catch a sale and it’s likely cheaper to use than Arko.

I haven’t tried Mogno yet, but if @Marco says that it’s good, it is.

Haslinger is fantastic, although truthfully a bit pricier than Tabac since their pucks are only 60 g in size. FWIW, I just popped onto Amazon and they're selling Tabac for less than $11 USD right now (the puck alone without bowl). I'll echo previous comments that PdP would be another great option.

Ultimately, if you decide you like hard soaps over softer soaps or creams, it's worth adding that you can probably get away with buying a more expensive product since they tend to last much longer -- the cost per shave ends up being very reasonable. Haslinger and Saponificio Varesino are some of my favourites.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
inexpensive you want:

$2.95

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Inconceivable!

Lol, try it.

A bit of a compromise (but not much) since the title is ‘hard soap’, but a 1000ml brick of 3P from Connaught was $26 delivered US. It’s pretty soft in the bag, but in an unsealed container like a MWF jar, it will get very hard indeed.

Top Bottom