What's new

Hard Soap Brush Recommendation

Greetings Gentlemen,

Lately I've been really getting into hard soaps. I hate to admit it but I only own one brush - my trusty Shavemac special. I am looking for a brush that's better suited for my hard soap days. Since I sport a goatee, I'm not interested in a larger brush than my Shavemac.

Rik, for shave soaps I like using best badger brushes. I currently use a Floris and Art of Shaving brush. Vulfix makes many good best badger brushes. For this type of brushes I like using a 22mm brush.

joel said:
Simpson PJ2
Joel, I've been contemplating a PJ2 or PJ3. Do you know what the size of the knot is for either of these two brushes? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

rschul2 said:
Joel, I've been contemplating a PJ2 or PJ3. Do you know what the size of the knot is for either of these two brushes? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Emsplace sells the PJ3. They have a chart listing the specs.

I found the PJ2 at the Gentleman's Shop. Do we still receive a 10% discount?

FWIW - Charles at QED can order Simpsons Brushes, and can often get them at the rock bottom lowest prices. Another place I'd try is LeesRazors. He carries the simpsons line and has spectacular prices, and outstanding service to match! If time is of the essence, Lee is your man, as he'll have them in stock!

CAR has them as well, albeit not "cheaply." - so I'd try the aformenioned sources first. Although the PJ2 is small, it DOES have long bristle, and it is firm enough to work quite well with shaving soap. Since it seems to keep its shape well when lathering, it makes the least mess of all the shaving brushes I have. In the B&B DVD (Which will be available tomorrow) it has a section with me lathering up hard soap using a Simpson PJ2, Rooney Silvertip, and a vulfix #374. Speaking of which, the Vulfix #374 albeit small, is a mighty brush and works quite well for soaps as well!

joel said:
FWIW - Charles at QED can order Simpsons Brushes, and can often get them at the rock bottom lowest prices. Another place I'd try is LeesRazors. He carries the simpsons line and has spectacular prices, and outstanding service to match! If time is of the essence, Lee is your man, as he'll have them in stock!

CAR has them as well, albeit not "cheaply." - so I'd try the aformenioned sources first. Although the PJ2 is small, it DOES have long bristle, and it is firm enough to work quite well with shaving soap. Since it seems to keep its shape well when lathering, it makes the least mess of all the shaving brushes I have. In the B&B DVD (Which will be available tomorrow) it has a section with me lathering up hard soap using a Simpson PJ2, Rooney Silvertip, and a vulfix #374. Speaking of which, the Vulfix #374 albeit small, is a mighty brush and works quite well for soaps as well!

Charles would always be my first choice. Is he also able to order DR Harris products?

Rik said:
Charles would always be my first choice. Is he also able to order DR Harris products?

You know - as crazy as it sounds, I haven't talked to the guys in a few months! Not even a PM! I should give him a call, especially since I need some DaVinci water in a BAD way! Last I talked to him, he was getting out of the "special order" business, as it was too taxing on him to keep track of them all, but to be honest, I have no idea as of now... He used to (may still?) carry the DR Harris shave sticks, so he might be able to get some harris for ya!:cool:

joel said:
You know - as crazy as it sounds, I haven't talked to the guys in a few months! Not even a PM! I should give him a call, especially since I need some DaVinci water in a BAD way! Last I talked to him, he was getting out of the "special order" business, as it was too taxing on him to keep track of them all, but to be honest, I have no idea as of now... He used to (may still?) carry the DR Harris shave sticks, so he might be able to get some harris for ya!:cool:
It would too bad if he opted to discontinue special orders, but understandable. Everytime I chat with him he's pretty rushed. But not rushed enough to have a long enjoyable conversation. :smile:

Rik,

Don't overlook the little Edwin Jagger best badger brush that C&E carries. Great for hard soaps, and cheap to boot. I got one a couple of weeks ago and I love it.

Rik,
I have to concur with Scotto's recommendation, but remember one thing the old lathermeister has to say, it's not how big (small?), nor how stiff (soft?), nor even how long (short?), but how you use it that will determine if a brush produces good lather with hard soaps. (Get your minds out of the gutter!:glare:)
*Student aid now available for the Old Lathermeister's School of Lathering.

guenron said:
Rik,
I have to concur with Scotto's recommendation, but remember one thing the old lathermeister has to say, it's not how big (small?), nor how stiff (soft?), nor even how long (short?), but how you use it that will determine if a brush produces good lather with hard soaps. (Get your minds out of the gutter!:glare:)
*Student aid now available for the Old Lathermeister's School of Lathering.

:a36: Sounds like Ron has a case of "Little Brush Syndrome" :a47:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've been looking at the T&H brushes, particularly at Ashford. Does anyone know who makes their smaller brushes? The larger ones, as it have been commented before, look like Vulfix's. To me, the smaller ones look like the Simson PJ series, at least in the handle.

Top Bottom