What's new

Hard Rolls

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Kentos, Here's the recipe for the rolls mentioned in the Bread thread. A good bowl scraper and a kitchen scale are your best friends with this one. It's very easy to make these larger or smaller according to your purpose, but the size I get when I divide into 8 rolls is great for general purposes.

They are substantial enough to hold up like hot dog buns or for sandwiches, but not so tough that you can't just eat them like dinner rolls. I've made these 100% AP flour and up to 50/50 AP and whole wheat. At up to 20% whole wheat, you see almost no change in texture from the AP flour. After that, they do take on more of that "whole wheat" bread texture, especially when it comes to the crust, but that's hardly a problem!

Using the egg wash does give more color and some gloss to the tops of the rolls, but I much prefer the crust texture from a water spritz or doing nothing at all. I did nothing to the rolls in the photo (except add a bit of steam per the recipe).

The butter does not need to be truly softened since there is so much mixing and waiting, but you don't want it straight from the fridge. If you aren't going to let it soften much, cut it up into small pieces.

--------
HARD ROLLS

YIELD:
8 buns or rolls (or adjust if you like)

INGREDIENTS:

-500 g
flour (unbleached all purpose 4 cups) (or sub 100-250g whole wheat)

-313 g
water (11 ounces)

-10g
salt (1 2/3 teaspoons table salt)

-3g
instant yeast (1 teaspoon)

-5g
sugar (1 teaspoon)

-10g
butter (2 teaspoons), softened

-(optional) 1
egg (beaten with 1 teaspoon water for wash)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix all ingredients except salt and mix well until all of the flour is wetted and there are no lumps.

2. Let the dough sit covered for 20 minutes, then knead with bread hook for 3 minutes.

3. Rest for 15 minutes, sprinkle the salt over the dough, and knead for additional 3 minutes until the dough is uniform and somewhat smooth. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

4. Stretch and fold the dough letter-style (top to bottom and side to side) and let sit for 30 more min, covered.

5. Stretch and fold and place dough in fridge overnight, covered.

6. Next morning, If the dough didn't double in volume, let it sit out until it does.

7. Divide into 8 equal pieces (weighing is best) and shape as desired. (You can make them larger or smaller, if you like, but you likely will need to adjust your baking time) There is no need to wait for them to come to room temperature before shaping. I highly recommend placing them on parchment paper on your baking sheet.

8. Preheat oven to 450 F with a pan for steaming at the bottom of the oven.

9. Cover dough with oiled plastic and let proof until they increase 1.5-2 times volume (about 90 minutes).

10. Brush on egg wash if desired (but not recommended) or spritz with water (better) (or do nothing at all--also works fine) and score once down the middle with a lame, razor blade, or very sharp knife.

11. Add 1 cup of hot water to the steam pan (careful not to splash it) and bake for 8 minutes. Turn the pan and bake for about 8 more minutes or until 200F internally.

12. Remove to a cooling rack. They can be served warm, too.

20200711_161457.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sorry about the odd formatting. I copied a recipe from a website. Even though I've adjusted that recipe, I never just retyped it. It's funny how it kept all those oddball links all the way through! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom