What's new

hard puck soaps and brush selection.

sorry to bump this up but I finally found an answer to getting the lather I want with my 1305 boar. in the interest of helping another new person struggling I am posting this......

DRH marlborough hard puck soap

Semogue 1305 brush

hard water

20191207_131524.jpg

what I found this morning is this:

( I realize starting with a completely dry brush is unorthodox, but this appears to be the key in this specific setup for me)

start with completely dry brush. sprinkle some water on puck bowl. let sit. begin loading soap in puck bowl 45-60 seconds. some additional drops of water may be needed while loading. use sparingly. when time is up. move to lather bowl (scuttle in my case.) begin building lather. a couple rounds possibly of a 3 -5 drops of water while building and voila!!!! Eureka!

it produced the thick, creamy. and slick lather I have come to expect from DRH.

there is hope for my 1305 and I can now use it regularly with my favorite soap. I've been seeking a solution for this brush and quit using earlier in the week, resorting to resuming use with my cheap badger that does work.

I love the 1305, I truly hope this helps another soul that likes this brush but struggles with the same plight I endured.

damn, just had wife order Simpson 46b best for my christmas gift. guess I'll like my collection of brushes now!

happy holidays all.

camo

Last edited:
IME, the more dense and fine the hairs/bristles/whatever are, the quicker soap will get picked up and created. I believe this is the reason some boars don't make nice/quick lather until the tips start splitting, the fine tips are absent, depending on the boar. I like boars for some soaps that are very easy to overload like Tabac. If you look at Tabac too long with a badger or synth, you just overloaded it. MWF on the other hand doesn't stand a chance against badger or boar whereas my 1800 takes forever to load it.

I find D.R. Harris hard soaps pretty low drama. I can take a dripping wet Semogue 1800 to it gently or 15 seconds or so and am ready face-lather the soapy bubbles into slippery lather in less than a minute. Trying to load the same soap having squeezed the brush however makes everything more work. You can make anything work for the most part, just have to tweak here and there.

maybe just basically only using this soap only, I have a different opinion of lathering this soap.

there is a sweet spot hidden with this soap. fine line between over or under hydrated.

sure, I can slap any of my brushes and get lather from it. for me doesnt mean it will be the best that this soap can deliver. I've found underhydrated works.....but obviously dries quickly and if you're a cap rider......stick city. over hydrated and its wonderfully slick. the telltale mini bubbles are an indicator of this. paint lather on and it will be too thin and disappear too quickly for my taste.

getting it to well hydrated without the bubbles is the sweet spot. when you reach this the volume when painted on is noticeably different. slickness is there but also feels heavier on the face and has a good creamy volume. when I find this.......perfect shave.

it is this sweet spot that gives me reason to continually use this soap. I've got some good soaps. for me, this is the only one that gives me this level of performance while shaving and then wonderful post shave feel. dont know maybe just works particularly well with my body chemistry.

the Simpson b46 best has answered my own question (and the cheap perfecto badger I use). there is a diff with brushes for me. I can get lather with any brushes, but I believe badger to work best for me.....getting to the alleged sweet spot consistently and reliably.

I use this soap too much and neglect the others I have. no apologies for this.

camo

sorry to bump this up but I finally found an answer to getting the lather I want with my 1305 boar. in the interest of helping another new person struggling I am posting this......

DRH marlborough hard puck soap

Semogue 1305 brush

hard water

View attachment 1041548

what I found this morning is this:

( I realize starting with a completely dry brush is unorthodox, but this appears to be the key in this specific setup for me)

start with completely dry brush. sprinkle some water on puck bowl. let sit. begin loading soap in puck bowl 45-60 seconds. some additional drops of water may be needed while loading. use sparingly. when time is up. move to lather bowl (scuttle in my case.) begin building lather. a couple rounds possibly of a 3 -5 drops of water while building and voila!!!! Eureka!

it produced the thick, creamy. and slick lather I have come to expect from DRH.

there is hope for my 1305 and I can now use it regularly with my favorite soap. I've been seeking a solution for this brush and quit using earlier in the week, resorting to resuming use with my cheap badger that does work.

I love the 1305, I truly hope this helps another soul that likes this brush but struggles with the same plight I endured.

damn, just had wife order Simpson 46b best for my christmas gift. guess I'll like my collection of brushes now!

happy holidays all.

camo
Kind of switching gears, but tell us about that D. R. Harris Marlborough. What's the fragrance?

wonderful to me......faint but pleasant while shaving.

reports state cedar and sandalwood. to my nose I just smell cedar which I love. if you have ever cut a cedar branch in your lifetime you will recognize this as a close match.

not overpowering, doesnt hang around. hour later I will catch some lingering barely.

cedar!

camo

Top Bottom