What's new

Harbor Freight Green Polishing Compound?

Is the Green Polishing Compound sold at Harbor Freight the same as chromium oxide? Can I apply this to a strop and use it the same as chromium oxide?

Here is the link to what Im reffering to:

In what order should I strop? The white part of the strop, followed by chromium oxide, followed by leather? Or chromium oxide, white, leather?

Thanks

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well, it probably has chromium oxide in it... but I assume you want it for a straight razor. Pay a little more and get some something not from China that is precisely graded on size. Also, this is buffing compound, that means in addition to chromium oxide, it has waxes and other carriers to help it stick to buffing wheels. You are much better off buying pure chromium oxide from someone that sells razor supplies. If this is for wood working chisels, have at it. I'm sure others can make suggestions of the good stuff.

Last edited:
Well, it probably has chromium oxide in it... but I assume you want it for a straight razor. Pay a little more and get some something not from China that is precisely graded on size. If this is for wood working chisels, have at it. I'm sure others can make suggestions of the good stuff.
Alright, I guess I'll stay away from it then. Thanks

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Alright, I guess I'll stay away from it then. Thanks
I was editing as you we're reading what I wrote before. I elaborated a little on my original post as to why you shouuld look past this for stropping your razor.

I've used that sort of thing to strop kitchen knives. It works fine for that. It might not be the best thing for a razor, though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Diamond is better. cuts faster, and is available in a huge variety of grits. Properly used, a little bit lasts an awfully long time, so cost is not an issue. Sure, you can get a pound of cheap CrOx for $5.99. But get diamond paste, for razors. Saving two or three bucks to get a 50 lifetimes supply is really not that much of a savings over buying a 5g syringe of 50% paste.

People have been using paste on hanging strops, both linen and leather, for generations, with mediocre results. You will still have to hone your razor, eventually. Or you can do it THIS way.

The clean hanging leather strop is always the last thing to touch the edge before you shave. What I do, once I have an edge dialed in, is use the .1u diamond pasted balsa after each shave. Then I strop on hanging leather before shaving.

Diamond is better. cuts faster, and is available in a huge variety of grits. Properly used, a little bit lasts an awfully long time, so cost is not an issue. Sure, you can get a pound of cheap CrOx for $5.99. But get diamond paste, for razors. Saving two or three bucks to get a 50 lifetimes supply is really not that much of a savings over buying a 5g syringe of 50% paste.

People have been using paste on hanging strops, both linen and leather, for generations, with mediocre results. You will still have to hone your razor, eventually. Or you can do it THIS way.

The clean hanging leather strop is always the last thing to touch the edge before you shave. What I do, once I have an edge dialed in, is use the .1u diamond pasted balsa after each shave. Then I strop on hanging leather before shaving.

Im not really trying to save a buck. I just wanted to grab something locally and go. That razor I sent you a pic of last week or so (Blades of Grim) is tuggy and not shaving close after going through all levels of the lapping film from 1K up. I wanted to get some CrOx after work and see if that'll make it better.

I'll read through the info you provided. Thanks.

High quality chromium oxide designed for use with razors is typically 0.5 micron particle size. You can purchase it from some of the shaving supply stores. The stuff from Harbor Freight or many other stores is designed for use with woodworking tools, not razors, so you have no idea what the grit size and distribution may be. Although you can use it, do not expect the same results as when using the good stuff.

Diamond pastes and sprays have been used for a long time to finish razors. More recently, Cubic Boron Nitride has been introduced. CBN is nearly as hard as diamond, but the cubic shape of CBN is not quite as aggressive as the octahedral shape of diamond crystals. Diamond is typically applied to a balsa substrate to allow the diamond crystals to embed into the surface of the soft balsa to reduce the aggressiveness. Also you have to be careful with diamond not to apply too much to the substrate. This is less of an issue with CBN.

I have used CrOx to touch up my knives and razors but the end result was always lacking. Diamond was next and the results were much much better, unfortunately, diamond and straight razors IMO created a harsh edge. CBN is now my go to for finishing my knives and use it from time to time with razors. On a Razor, it produces an edge equally as sharp as diamond yet it lacks the harsh feel diamond leaves.

Never used it for a straight, but use the HF green paste for broadhead blades. Polishes and smooths edge really well. Mirror shine and razor smooth/sharp in a few passes.

I can see the Harbor Freight CrOx working quite well to polish broadhead blades and utility knife blades. However, these types of "razor" blades are not sharp enough or smooth enough for shaving, at least not for many people.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to avoid the HF stuff. Just wanted to get started right away. I'm still trying to get that Blades of Grim razor to be useable. I feel like crap because I know what my wife spent on it and it's been nothing but a headache. At 1/40th the cost I got the gold dollar with the red scales and it works great. I'm new to straights and thought I hated them until I got the $10 gold dollar on Amazon.

I think I'm going to send that Blades of Grim in to have them resharpen it. I'm still not sure if I suck or it sucks. I know the strop it came with is trash.... IDK.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you enjoyed the shave with the GD but not the Grim, that should tell you something. When a new kid on the block maker or seller has a "kewl" sounding name, that rings alarm bells in my head. I don't like to appear to not be objective but I just had a feeling about that brand. I just looked at their website and they advertise free lifetime honing, so yeah send it back and see what kind of edge is returned to you. Be sure to perform one of the standard sharpness tests before and after the refresh and again after the first shave attempt with the refreshed edge.

Not sure why they don't say what alloy they are using, but they should if they have nothing to hide. Well, okay actually hardly any big brand maker says what alloy they use but then again they don't brag on the steel without backing up the brag, either.

I like the nice straight edge but I am a bit leery of the spine profile. For much of the razor's life, the contact area at the spine will be pretty small. Compare the end view with that of one of the more established brands. The traditional profile works and has worked for over a hundred years.

Rockwell testing results mean nothing if they don't say what part of the razor was tested. Gold Dollars test about 63C on the spine. Puh-LEEEEZE nobody try to tell me that the edge is that hard. I would call it a 60 if I had to guess. Hardly anyone would test near the edge, though, as it would definitely trash the razor. Not entirely certain it is even possible. So their claims of 61C are just vapordata, to me.

One of the biggest problems in our little world today is that straight shaving is trendy and a lot of unqualified people want to cash in on it by preying on newbies and wannabes who don't know any better yet.

If you enjoyed the shave with the GD but not the Grim, that should tell you something. When a new kid on the block maker or seller has a "kewl" sounding name, that rings alarm bells in my head. I don't like to appear to not be objective but I just had a feeling about that brand. I just looked at their website and they advertise free lifetime honing, so yeah send it back and see what kind of edge is returned to you. Be sure to perform one of the standard sharpness tests before and after the refresh and again after the first shave attempt with the refreshed edge.

Not sure why they don't say what alloy they are using, but they should if they have nothing to hide. Well, okay actually hardly any big brand maker says what alloy they use but then again they don't brag on the steel without backing up the brag, either.

I like the nice straight edge but I am a bit leery of the spine profile. For much of the razor's life, the contact area at the spine will be pretty small. Compare the end view with that of one of the more established brands. The traditional profile works and has worked for over a hundred years.

Rockwell testing results mean nothing if they don't say what part of the razor was tested. Gold Dollars test about 63C on the spine. Puh-LEEEEZE nobody try to tell me that the edge is that hard. I would call it a 60 if I had to guess. Hardly anyone would test near the edge, though, as it would definitely trash the razor. Not entirely certain it is even possible. So their claims of 61C are just vapordata, to me.

One of the biggest problems in our little world today is that straight shaving is trendy and a lot of unqualified people want to cash in on it by preying on newbies and wannabes who don't know any better yet.
I agree. I would have never even thought of buying it but she wanted to be thoughtful I guess. Also, I really don't like the name at all...

I agree. I would have never even thought of buying it but she wanted to be thoughtful I guess. Also, I really don't like the name at all...

One of the other forums that specializes in straight razors has a list of razors that are not recommended. If I remember correctly, Blades Grim was on that list.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
One of the other forums that specializes in straight razors has a list of razors that are not recommended. If I remember correctly, Blades Grim was on that list.

Correct but like those hideous shirts that your kids buy you, you have to use it (or at least leave it out on the counter!).

Correct but like those hideous shirts that your kids buy you, you have to use it (or at least leave it out on the counter!).

I do not have a Blades Grim, but I do have a Hart Steel razor. Both brands are owned by The Shaving Network. I have spent many honing sessions trying to produce a shave ready edge on the Hart Steel razor, but I have yet to succeed. I have tried tape, no tape, single bevels, double bevels, etc. Nothing I have tried will allow me to use the razor for shaving. I have another two dozen straight razors, all of which will give great shaves after I hone them. There was a time when Hart Steel made high quality razors, but a lot of the recent ones are not.

I use the harbor freight green ... though I've never had a razor specific green to compare....so take this with grain of salt.....it works perfectly fine for razors....it's extremely hard though ...I spray wd40 on it let it emulsify lightly apply to linen strop,rinse and repeat...makes huge mess if not careful and use very little wd. Though I do finish with .25 m diamond on denim. The edge is pretty sweet after leather.....but like I said no pro here so take it for what you will.good luck and I go stone....wash..few swipes linen....crox....wash....25diamond...wash...few linen... Leather....hot water ...face

Last edited:
Top Bottom